Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Just Returned From Forest City With a Routing Question

Recently went to CDI for paint work and some small mechanical work at the factory. The roads near the Chicago area were a nightmare. I may make another trip next summer but I am looking for a decent route to stay way from the Chicago traffic. I will be heading west from NJ and Pa.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Recently went to CDI for paint work and some small mechanical work at the factory. The roads near the Chicago area were a nightmare. I may make another trip next summer but I am looking for a decent route to stay way from the Chicago traffic. I will be heading west from NJ and Pa.
what route did you take?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We travel from VA to Papillion NE every year. We avoid Chicago by coming up from the South via route 74 thru Illinois. Not sure what part of NJ or Pa you are departing from but connecting to 74N (West?) is the way we avoid the Chicago mess. 74 connects directly to 80. check out an atlas and figure out the quickest way to 74.
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I just Google mapped directions from New Jersey and PA... both of which took the southern route through IL... neither of which took you through Chicago..

Which way did you go (as asked earlier) ?

Coming from NJ... it appears you'd take I70 to I74 thru IN/IL to Davenport, IA

Coming from PA... it appears you'd take I76 to I80 thru IN/IL to Davenport, IA

Granted.. coming from PA on I80 does have you skirt south of Chicago for a short period.. but that is likely some of the best roads you'll experience in the greater Chicago area...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

On the way out I used Rt 80 to the south of Chicago on the way back I used Rt 90 then 355 south both 90 and 80 were jammed with construction and commuter traffic, I was thinking about using a totally different route to the south or central part of the state then heading north in Iowa.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Depends on how much you want to wander.:

If you go through Indianapolis-it's only an extra hour & you miss Chicago (I do not blame you)

But- If you meander through WVA, VA, and get some of the best views , Mountains & forests -you will be living, instead of just driving. THEN- roll through Kentucky for more views, hit the Bourbon Trail-do the dinner train ride in Bardstown-then go by Churchill Downs & over to Bowling Green to watch them build a Corvette. Lots of Corps of Engineer Campgrounds along the way. Then, head up to Forest City-won't be far then.

Happy Trails
Old 09-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
On the way out I used Rt 80 to the south of Chicago on the way back I used Rt 90 then 355 south both 90 and 80 were jammed with construction and commuter traffic, I was thinking about using a totally different route to the south or central part of the state then heading north in Iowa.
as a lifelong Chicago-area resident I can attest that there truly are just two seasons in Chicagoland....winter and road construction. and that goes for NW indiana as well as 80 thru NW Indiana can be a real character build.

as others have stated if you want to truly avoid Chicago and use the interstate highway system you only have one choice and that's to go south. I-70 thru Columbus and Indianapolis, then I-74 to Peoria and north to intercept I-80 at the Quad Cities. or continue I-70 thru St. Louis west to KC and grab I-35 north to I-80. but St. Louis traffic is not much better than Chicago. the southern route will take you waaaaayyy out of your way and although you'll be rolling along I doubt you'd save much time.

You would minimize your traffic delays if you can adjust your driving sked to pass thru NW Indiana and Illinois along I-80 to between say 11am-2pm. construction season here typically ends around November 15th, give or take.

good luck.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote