Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 AM   #1

Just purchased a 2009 Itasca Sunstar 32k at the Hershey show ...just wonderinng what the actual differences are between Winnebago and Itasca..for us it was about the deal but am still curious about the difference between the coaches are e.g. sunstar v vista or any other models
horatio54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 AM   #2

Just purchased a 2009 Itasca Sunstar 32k at the Hershey show ...just wonderinng what the actual differences are between Winnebago and Itasca..for us it was about the deal but am still curious about the difference between the coaches are e.g. sunstar v vista or any other models
horatio54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Different decor schemes, the Itasca version usually comes with more options as standard. The differences vary from model year to model year. My Horizon has hidden cabinet hinges that weren't even available on the Vectra for one example (for that model year.)

Basically they are the same and all are built on one of three assembly lines in the factory ("Big Bertha".)

A big howdy and welcome to the Winnebago family!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

horatio54;

Congratulations on your new Sunstar.

I believe most of the differences are cosmetic. I believe Winnebago has these 2 lines so they can have 2 dealers near each other. Hopefully someone will pop in here and correct me if I am wrong.

I notice you do not have any Winnebago Karma. Just ask and you will receive.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What the others have said, plus in like floor plans they have "upscaled" a number of items. The carpet is slightly better grade, the window treatments and furniture have a slightly better grade of fabric, the cabinet hinges are better quality, etc. You probably cannot see the differences but in the long run the items with wear better.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

In 2003, I was going between a Winnebago Adventurer and the Itasca Suncruiser. I went with the Itasca because the dealer was closer to home but was also told the Itasca came with some features, like cedar lined closets and a bedroom clock, that were not available in the Adventurer. Not something that would sway me either way.

I now have a Winnebago Tour and see no difference in quality.

Good luck with your new coach!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We bought our Meridian this spring and we looked at the journey as well and I did a thorough comparison of the two. The major differences we found were cosmetic. We went with the Meridian just because we liked some of the window treatments and exterior colors a better.
One thing we found was by looking at the colors on the web sight and the actual colors are quite different.
We ended up going to Winnebago and actually looking at the exterior colors on units they had ready for delivery. Glad we did because we ended up changing the color we originally picked out.
I think you will like either one, it is just a matter of preference. Good luck and enjoy which ever one you decide in.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Biggest difference to us was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We love our 32K, especially the U-shaped dinette and the bunks. Have a blast with it.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The kifference is like a Ford or a Mercury, a Chevy or a GMC, and the $$$$$.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I would like the "flip up" kitchen counter extension that I saw on an '07 Itasca Suncruiser. Does this normally show up on the official floorplans? Is it an option? Does Itasca have them and Winnebago not have them? My '03 Brave has one and I couldn't live without it. We're shopping for a 35L and it is only offered on Itasca Suncruiser in 2009. Can someone tell me what models the extension comes on? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I agree with the others re the cosmetic things but let me throw out some points that may be invalid because it is apples and oranges (different models and 7 years).

We had a 01 Itasca 35U that we loved. We now have a Winnie 35J that we love and would buy again. But, there are some differences: smaller LP tank; smaller H2O heater; no auto power transfer; no video distribution center; no inverter; and no dual pane windows (which, given the fogging problems, is not a bad thing, IMHO); roof air instead of basement air (and I now prefer roof...others will disagree...that's another thread). Again, we knew all this when we traded and remain happy with our choice. I mention them only in case one or more of these are important to you. Good luck in your choice...both are excellent coaches. Steve
Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I originally thought that the Meridian (in this case) was just a cut above the Journey, not in workmanship, but options specifically. I got a lecture from a Winne sales guy that while the Meridian basically comes fully loaded (except the SE), that everything on a Meridian can be ordered on the Journey. Few seem to be equipped that way, but the point was that they are identical if that's what you want. The Meridian interior tends to be more bland than whats available on the Journey tho. BUt I already had a Meridian scope'd out.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

All of the issues mentioned here are valid on differences. With Winnebago the big difference is, it gives them a second dealer network. This can be very important in larger towns and cities.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Huge difference!! Why my Itasca is twice as good as any Winnie....

Just kidding.

I decided to buy a Winnebago product after watching the National Geographic special. And since each of them are produced idetically I went with an Itasca because of the dealer.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Many years ago, Winnebago was stuck in a chassis contract, and could not use another brand. They created the Itasca division to take advantage of newer improved chassis brands. This also allowed greater market penetration by having two dealers in the same area selling the different divisions.

Itasca traditionally has been slightly more upscale in their features. In recent years, the differences have been primarily cosmetic, for example colors.

Now, Winnebago Industries is trying to again further differentiate the products. For example, Itasca has the Navion IQ floorplans, and Winnebago does not have an equivalent floorplan in the View. We will be seeing more separation in the 2009 models and going forward.

2002 25' Mallard Trailer
kampingkeith is offline   Reply With Quote