Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca fwd floor register heater issue

Hi, I have the 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G with a few issues but here's the first one.

The fwd floor register after 30 minutes of driving starts putting out a lot of heat. I believe it is the engine compartment. The "door flap" inside seems to be closed OK when I reach my hand in there. It swings freely as far as I can tell.

It gets so hot even when chassis AC is on. I had too get a magnetic cover from Walmart and cut it to the dimensions of the floor register to use as a cover. It helps, but I want to fix it right.

Any ideas? Should that "inner flap" be spring loaded or something?

Thanks for any help!

Normy
Old 10-05-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE=Normy;552120]Hi, I have the 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G with a few issues but here's the first one.

The fwd floor register after 30 minutes of driving starts putting out a lot of heat. I believe it is the engine compartment. The "door flap" inside seems to be closed OK when I reach my hand in there. It swings freely as far as I can tell.

It gets so hot even when chassis AC is on. I had too get a magnetic cover from Walmart and cut it to the dimensions of the floor register to use as a cover. It helps, but I want to fix it right.

Any ideas? Should that "inner flap" be spring loaded or something?

Thanks for any help!

Sounds like you may have your (motor aide) heater switch turn to the "on" position. Make sure it is off, then try it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Homer, Where would this Motor Aid switch be located?

Thanks

Normy
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On my 2007 Suncruiser, the switch is labeled "Coach Heater" and is a rocker switch in the grouping below my radio. It has a low, off and high setting. Be sure that it is in the middle position.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

normy: On my 01 Itasca it was on the lower dashboard just to the right of the steering wheel. It is a rocker switch. (I had the same thing happen to me right after I bought my 01 new. The dealer said nothing about it). The A/C could not overcome the tremendous heat the Motor aid puts out of the front floor register, when on. The switch has a high fan and low fan position. In the center was off.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The motoraid heater itself cannot be turned on or off. Engine coolant always flows through the heater core and through a series of coils around the water heater. Only the fan that delivers the air through the register can be controlled.

The original registers in our coach didn't have a flap to keep the hot air from entering the passenger compartment. A few years ago I replaced it (and all the others) with ones that can be shut off. Now we don't get unwanted heat in the passenger compartment and I don't have to fish out all the toys, food, etc, the dogs drop.

You can get replacement registers at Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, or almost any other home improvement store. They cost less than $4.00 ea and come in several colors.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi Normy,

Our Adventurer did the same thing (very annoying) and I installed a valve to turn off the engine coolant flow in this line. Turn it off in the summer, on in the winter. As I recall it was very easy to do and was located inside the right front wheel well behind a rubber flap.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTransistor View Post
Hi Normy,

Our Adventurer did the same thing (very annoying) and I installed a valve to turn off the engine coolant flow in this line. Turn it off in the summer, on in the winter. As I recall it was very easy to do and was located inside the right front wheel well behind a rubber flap.
That kind of killed your hot water availability when docking didn't it? Same system heats the hot water in your HWH while on the road.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone,

The rocker switch has been off (middle setting). I didn't know about it being called motor aide.

If I remove the register from the floor and reach inside deep, I can feel the "flapping door", I assume this is where the heat flows through from the engine compartment.

I am wondering if this "flap" needs to be adjusted or "spring loaded" to stay close when not calling for heat? Do you think it is a defect?

I bought this last year and it has always done this. This is a 2003!

Thanks
Normy
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

As memory serves (and that’s rare these days) the added valve only turned off the water flow to the radiator that supplies that vent and had no effect on the ‘Motor Aid’. This may not be the same set-up on all models though. Worth investigating by anyone having this issue of hot air from the register in the summer.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normy View Post
Hi Everyone,

The rocker switch has been off (middle setting). I didn't know about it being called motor aide.

If I remove the register from the floor and reach inside deep, I can feel the "flapping door", I assume this is where the heat flows through from the engine compartment.

I am wondering if this "flap" needs to be adjusted or "spring loaded" to stay close when not calling for heat? Do you think it is a defect?

I bought this last year and it has always done this. This is a 2003!

Thanks
Normy

NORMY: Have you checked to see if air is coming out of the register while stopped and switch in off position? If the flap is free, I think it is air operated,(much on the order of a sail switch), no springs. If air is still blowing out of register in the fan off position, you may have a faulty rocker switch.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

An easy way to check for proper operation of the blower motor and switch, turn the key to the run position but don't start the engine (eliminates the engine noise) turn the rocker switch from off to hight to low and back to off. You should readily hear the blower motor change speeds and turn off.

Ron K
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'll check this weekend, we're headed to NH for the long weekend.

Normy
Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
An easy way to check for proper operation of the blower motor and switch, turn the key to the run position but don't start the engine (eliminates the engine noise) turn the rocker switch from off to hight to low and back to off. You should readily hear the blower motor change speeds and turn off.

Ron K

Hi, I checked the switch and it is functioning correctly, any other ideas?

Thanks
Normy
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Give Winnebago customer support a call. They should be able to give you some help. If not, let us know.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Mine did the same thing once - checked the rocker switch and it was off - but I did make sure the cold air return was clear - it was covered with a book (or something) I cleared it and really have not had the problem since. I know this sounds way out in left field but that's all I did.