Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Say Don and Jon (or anybody else with the 34H), I notice where the 34H is the only plan that has the short mattress (75" instead of 80").

Was that a problem for you or did you switch it out for a standard queen mattress? Eyeballing it, it appears that it will fit but will hang over the edge a bit. If you are using the OEM mattress, are there sheets to fit??

Sorry for the off-topic post. I hope I won't get in trouble for it. I couldn't figure out how to use the PM system on this board or I would have PM'd the owners of 34Hs.
bagowannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

But who cares! You asked.....

Actually standard queen sized sheets fit just fine. Just tuck them in.

I am only 5'8" (TALL!)so the short queen is not a problem for me. If you're over 6'+ it may be a problem. The difference in the mattresses is 5". I think you could still maneuver around the bed if you put in a full queen. Especially if you have the flat panel TV. Otherwise it may be a head-banger.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

JimandSue60-Yes, I purchased the 36 Meridian SE edition which is why I have the 300Cummins. The SE is less in dollars which is why we elected to go with it but also some of these coaches like ours comes standard with many options not found on some Journeys such as full body paint, electric coach, leather and myriad of other items. Anyone looking for a new Meridian, I would suggest you check these out as you might be surprised at what comes on them and price is very attractive. Winny only makes so many of these each year so they may be hard to find this late in the game. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I believe that the 07's are now powered by the Cummins 6.7 325hp motor. I saw a few coaches at a local RV show that had these in them. AZlso the 300hp 5.9 has many companies making upgrade kits for them. If you are easy on the go pedal you actually will get better mileage with some of these addons. They monitor egt's so you won't get in trouble on long steep grades.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We have had our 34H with the ISB for about 15 months and 7,000+ miles. As you can see we live in Colorado and travel in the mountains all the time. We have been towing a Pontiac Vibe (3,000 lbs with stuff) for most of these miles with no problems whatsoever. We just traded the Vibe on a Malibu Maxx and had the base plates installed last week, can't wait to check it out during spring break in a few weeks when we're planning to put another 2-3,000 miles on it.

We have been over most of the serious mountain passes here in Colorado and compared to our Suncruiser with the Vortec 8100 this thing is a rocket. Went over Wolf Creek Pass last summer and left a big DP with a 'real' diesel engine in the dust climbing up from the west.

The 34H has almost 5,000 lbs of CCC and we just love the floorplan with the kitchen on the roadside and big windows overlooking the campsite instead of the other way around as 90% of motorhomes seem to be these days.

We replaced the factory bed with a full-size pillow-top queen and although it is a little tight at the foot of the bed it works fine for us. We are keeping the factory mattress in the basement (of our house) for when we trade the rig, but if this rig continues to deliver as it has we won't be trading anytime soon.

------
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Gotthelf:
I believe that the 07's are now powered by the Cummins 6.7 325hp motor. I saw a few coaches at a local RV show that had these in them... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the Winnebago website the '07s have the 'old' ISB 5.9 liter.
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Don, thanks for the information on the bed sheets. Just tuck 'em in and they'll stay in place, right?

fun time, is your rig's color that solid light gray color with a few brown and burgundy decals? I think I saw one of those and they didn't look too bad. How do you like the color? The color they use in the Journey SE edition which is a golden brownish color looks good too.

knut, that's some good information! --encouraging. Good tip about the bed too. Thanks.

Hey guys, as long as I'm being off topic, what do you guys think of the 3m-type protective film that some of them come from the factory with (as an option)? The one that I'm looking at doesn't have it. Should I go and have it done aftermarket or should I just let the front get chipped up and after a few years, have the front cap repainted? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:24 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

The masks list for $1295 from the factory. I have it on mine. Time will tell, but I think I'm happy its there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Don. So it's probably a worthwhile option then.

Ugh. Sorry for the thread drift.

I really appreciate all the advice, though. This is a major undertaking to buy something like this so it's sure great to have this kind of input.

Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

bagowannabe: We like the 34H floorplan. I like the power of my 350 CAT in the hills but all being equal you can only drive at a safe speed anyway 65, or tow even slower. I would go for the floorplan and the power plant and price comes with it. Good luck with your purchase.

Also, the 3M shield is nice, price it aftermarket, probably less than I paid as an option.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Good comments, Gary! Thank you.

So you think that protective film is good to have? Aftermarket is probably cheaper no doubt.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

bagowannabe: Our coach is brown with burgandy and gold color stripes. No decals, all full paint. That is one of options it came with. I agree with another poster concerning the front 3m film. Look aftermarket. I am in the process of thinking about this myself. While my dealer has been great so far and has offered to install it for a price, I am looking around for a possible better deal. Let's us know what you find out. Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

bagowannabe--

One other thing to consider, depending on how you approach your deal on your Journey -- if you order your coach, you may be ahead ordering it with the 3M mask. Make the deal based on $$ over invoice. This way, you get all the options at the invoice price, which is more than 25% off list. One profit margin to the dealer irregardless of the options ordered. This way, that 3M mask gets closer to $900 in price.

This is how I ordered my coach.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Boulderado I should have said I saw other MH brands with both Sparten and Freightliner chassis with the new 6.7 Cummins in them.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

So you think that protective film is good to have? Aftermarket is probably cheaper no doubt.[/QUOTE]

We had the 3M film put on as an option on our full body paint 2005 Adventurer 33V, and by a local company on the front of our 2005 Honda CRV tow car. After 20K miles, including a two month trip in Alaska, the front of the RV looks brand new. There is one small chip near the headlight where there is no film. Bugs clean off the front much more easily with the film, too. The CRV has been towed 13K miles and driven 25K and the piant looks great, too. In addition to the film on the CRV we have a solid rock guard across the back of the RV. We are very pleased with the film and have no regrets having spent the money for it.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the confirmation. I was very unsure whether it was worth ordering or not. I think I am very happy that I have it now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]