Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Check my profile a little closer. When you have a 90# dog that thinks he is a apron string puller you often don't have a choice. DW heads to the galley when we stop for lunch and Dawson follows. Now, I need to get to the head! Pure traffic jam and carpet is the victim .

I knew they had that stuff but I didn't want to wast my time or money. It will simply break again. I am thinking of a more permanent solution. Some coach manufactures extend the floor all the way so when closed the trough is covered with a hard surface. Where our isle is so narrow when traveling this would kill our ankles. But, if I could devise a drop down hard cover... I am working on it (in my mind at this point. No prototype yet.)

Jesse, when you did your fix did you remove the vinyl from the carpet or just cut away the flapper?

Left the vinyl on the slide floor and the carpet for added support.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #22

To paraphrase WC Fields, I spent most of my money on booze, women and rvs, the rest I just wasted. Like others said I am either thinking of things to improve in the rv or working on them.
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Left the vinyl on the slide floor and the carpet for added support.
Jesse
How long ago did you do that? Is it holding up?

At this point the support under the chairs is so bad that we can't place the leg in that area any longer. The chair will tip. Bummer for eating comfortably.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Rick, I did a test section at the back of the coach using .093 thick Lexan yesterday. When you start at one end the black/grey plastic comes off fairly easily and allows for the new material to sit lower and you won't hear the noise of the broken plastic. I was very pleased with the result after I put it in and plan to do the entire slide tomorrow. Your concern about it being hard on the ankles when the slide is in is a valid one, but we only have a short area, (about 5 feet), where that may be an issue. If it is I will remove that section of Lexan and install something more pliable in that area. Will update you after I install it tomorrow.
Brent
Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvWarner View Post
Rick, I did a test section at the back of the coach using .093 thick Lexan yesterday. When you start at one end the black/grey plastic comes off fairly easily and allows for the new material to sit lower and you won't hear the noise of the broken plastic. I was very pleased with the result after I put it in and plan to do the entire slide tomorrow. Your concern about it being hard on the ankles when the slide is in is a valid one, but we only have a short area, (about 5 feet), where that may be an issue. If it is I will remove that section of Lexan and install something more pliable in that area. Will update you after I install it tomorrow.
Brent
Brent. I do hope someone from the factory is watching these posts and plans to hit the engineers in the face with them. This IS a fixable problem by the factory BEFORE the next production year. I am in a '11 model and the problem is still being manufactured to the present models. Is there something wrong with this picture?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I did the whole coach today Rick, and am very pleased with the outcome. No matter which material you decide to fix yours with I can't emphasize enough the importance of removing the black plastic sheeting that is there. If you start at one end it comes off the carpet quite easily. Once it is detached from the carpet it makes removing the plastic from the floor much easier, although it still requires a good pull. The adhesive remains on the floor,and I'm pretty sure even NASA doesn't have adhesive that strong, so you can use it to attach whatever material you choose to use. I didn't use any tape to attach the carpet to the Lexan but I could easily do that if I see the need. Good luck with yours!
Brent
Old 12-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
How long ago did you do that? Is it holding up?

At this point the support under the chairs is so bad that we can't place the leg in that area any longer. The chair will tip. Bummer for eating comfortably.

Rick
Been 7 months.

Current pic:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1418937027.580882.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	81359
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Brent and Jesse, thanks for the great info. Two solutions for the same MANUFACTURING problem.

It is true that the floor was in trouble when we bought the coach. But the amount of abuse our carpet edge takes when trying to navigate the 90+# barrier on 4 legs is much. I don't know which system is better. Only time will tell with the Lexan. As for Jesse's fix? So far so good.

At this time I can't jump into this project. It is one that is high on the to-do list. Thank you both for these great approaches to this common problem.

Merry Christmas!

Rick

Tags
winnebago