Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Interior rearview mirror

I have a 2004 Sightseer and have a question that I hope someone has already figured out. When driving, I like to also know what's going on behind me INSIDE of the MH. Rather then turning around and taking my eyes off the road, I'm thinking of placing a rearview mirror either below the TV or somewhere on the dash. I'd like it big enough so that I can actually see something, but not too big as to interfere with my view forward. I don't want to place it on the windshield due to the curtains. Have any of you come up with a brand/design that works to easily monitor what's going on inside the MH and can be mounted in locations other than the windshield?
Gary
Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't have an answer but have the same question. I was thinking about something which would fold up when not in use.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We've added one underneath our front TV and it works pretty good in checking on the DW's welfare while she's getting road snacks and moving while underway. We got ours from Camping World but have seen some in Truck stops and Auto Stores that would work quite well. Ours has a plastic housing and was originally made to go on the top of the outside mirrors of a truck. Also, if you've ever been in an Alfa RV, you'd notice that they come from the factory with one built in on the overhead compartments. Anything that gives the RV Operator more usable info is worth the time, expense and effort in my opinion.
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumgj View Post
I have a 2004 Sightseer and have a question that I hope someone has already figured out. When driving, I like to also know what's going on behind me INSIDE of the MH. Rather then turning around and taking my eyes off the road, I'm thinking of placing a rearview mirror either below the TV or somewhere on the dash. I'd like it big enough so that I can actually see something, but not too big as to interfere with my view forward. I don't want to place it on the windshield due to the curtains. Have any of you come up with a brand/design that works to easily monitor what's going on inside the MH and can be mounted in locations other than the windshield?
Gary
On my previous RV I was concerned about my wife as she is quite handicapped and would move about.

So on cabinet on right side high just above and behind the passenger seat I put a convex mirror and could see most of RV interior. You can get this at an auto supply store as they are stick ons for your outside mirrors especially on big trucks. It was about 4 or more inches in diameter.

Worked fine.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Call Lichtseen (sp?) who advertises on this forum. They have them. I bought one for my Sightseer after having one on my Itasca for the same reasons you said.

It goes on the divider between the 2 windshields
Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hmmmm ... my '03 came with one mounted on the divider between the windshields. I thought it a bit strange at first, but it does help sometimes when there are folks that don't stay where you put them!!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I got the one used in the Journey (and others?) as mentioned above. It was like $20. And as mentioned, it goes on the pillar between the windshields. It'll go in front of the curtain when it's closed. It was like $20 from Lichtsinn.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My 03 came with one and it's virtually useless. The coach is too dark inside to see much.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

i use 2 stick on 4'' x 5'' wide angel mirrors from schucks auto parts store on the lower left and lower right of the overhead tv next to the speakers. i replaced the fwd couch reading light with a #67 lamp for dim general cabin illumination at night while under way. i leave the bathroom and one of the bedroom lights on while under way.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Mine came with one and I use it all the time, also I use it to hang my dice on!!

May I suggest, wrecking yards have them, you pick it for about a buck!!
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

When I upgraded the backup camera to color I added a fourth camera for the inside view. I mounted the inside camera up under the front TV. At night I don't see much. To dark. But during the day I can see what people are doing. It is a little distracting not knowing what friends or the puppy are getting into.

Cost was $907 to change front display and two camera's with wiring. Side cameras are still black and white. I was able to change system without modifying the existing monitor hole but looks stock.

Doug
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

After looking at about every rearview mirror on the internet I came up with the probable solution. It seems that a CIPA boat mirror fits the bill for what I'm trying to accomplish. I ordered it with the idea of attaching it to the lip of the wood trim around the TV or under the TV with a slight clamp modification. I sent an email to the company listed above but they said that they don't handle it because the Winnebago's didn't come with them. I don't think they understood what I was trying to do! Anyways, the ski boat rearview mirror is a good place to begin looking. Thanks to everyone for your tips!!
Gary
Old 04-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

You've ordered what you need but for the record, the mirror from Lichtsinn is this (from the email when I ordered it last year): The convex mirror, 134154-01-000, price is 20.95.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

That's why I figured that the individual from Lichtsinn didn't understand my email. This is what I got from them and I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding as to what I was looking for:
I’m sorry but Winnebago doesn’t use a rearview mirror in the front on the windshield. But I would imagine that you could purchase a rearview mirror that attaches to a windshield at an Auto Parts store to achieve that.