Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Interested in new (2013) 27k models

Last week I posted this on a discussion group for Aspect and Cambria owners, but I did not get any responses. I apologize to anyone who ends up reading it twice.

We are looking at downsizing from a class A, and the new Aspect/Cambria 27k floorplan really caught our interest. Unfortunately, I am not close to a dealer so I have had to rely on Internet ads for basic info. I did come across a comment that made it sound like CCC was over 2000 pounds, which is great. However, I am concerned that the large storage area on this floorplan is behind the rear wheels, which on some units don't have much spare capacity even when unloaded. Has anyone actually done a four point weigh in on one of these new floorplans?

Second, I'm sure I can clear this up as soon as I can actually see a 27k, but I can't figure out the utility hookups. It sort of looks like water and tv are in the rear hatch, power is on driver's side rear, and sewer is driver's side midship. But then I saw one picture of a dump valve farther back on the river's side. Are utilities really that scattered out, or do I just have "mixed" information?

Gary
Aspiring 27k owner

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's a YouTube that may help.

Good luck

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2013 Aspect 30c and some of our utilities are in one spot, drivers side and the rest are in the rear. We love our new rig!!! We upgraded from a 27' Lexington to our new Aspect and love the 3 slides and couch and dinette. I believe the 27'Aspect is a bit different in the hookups. We do not have the larger storage bay, but we started as Airstreamers years ago and feel we have alot of storage!
To be perfectly honest, we upgraded for our two large labs
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have seen a 2013 30c and they do look fantastic. Our current Class A does have both dinette and couch. Yes, if we go with a 27k floorplan it will be difficult to give up one of those. However, we want something a bit shorter, and something has to give! My wife does not like to drive the 102 inch wide class A and I don't blame her. Getting through road construction can be nerve wracking. With the class A we have to tow a car no matter what, while with the 27k I think we could manage shorter trips without towing, even if we have to pull up anchor now and then to take it into a Walmart to get supplies!

I think the tv setup and the swivel front seats might help make up for the loss of sofa or dinette. The 27k is the first "smaller" class C that has excellent closet space and a large storage bay ... both important to us since we spend the winters in our motorhome. We do stay at our site in Florida that has a "Florida room" with a living area, kitchen, full bath and washer/dryer/office area, but the motorhome is our bedroom and my wife's hobby room during the duration of the stay. That means we need closet space and storage!

We have several friends who have older Winnebago and Itasca motorhomes, and they have been very positive about the dealer and factory support. Have you had good experiences so far?

Gary

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdsgone2dogs View Post
We have a 2013 Aspect 30c and some of our utilities are in one spot, drivers side and the rest are in the rear. We love our new rig!!! We upgraded from a 27' Lexington to our new Aspect and love the 3 slides and couch and dinette. I believe the 27'Aspect is a bit different in the hookups. We do not have the larger storage bay, but we started as Airstreamers years ago and feel we have alot of storage!
To be perfectly honest, we upgraded for our two large labs

Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So far so good, but I will admit that Camping World is a bit slow at getting us in for warranty work...just small stuff, nothing major. We do tow a CRV, but when we had our Lexington, we travelled alot without a tow. If we stayed long in one area, we rented a car. This worked out fine, but became a burden when we had to back track a hour or so to return the car.
Our last couple of trips, we received alot of compliments at campgrounds. The swivel seats are not as easy as they look. We have used them a couple of times, of course the passenger side is easier. They sit very low, but will do in a pinch when we have grankids/kids with us (not too often)
After owning a couple other RV's, we were set on Winnebago....and thats all we looked for.
Does the 27k have levelers? If not, please consider it!!! Our last one was the same size as the one you're looking at and we sure wish we had them!! We also like the air bags in the rear...makes the ride all the more smoother.
Going from a A to a C shouldn't be hard on you two. Hubby and I both drive and both can set up the tow with no problem. I've driven an A, but it was white knuckles all the way.
What area of FL do you stay in?'
Have fun on your search...and let us know what you decide on.
Andi
Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We went for a drive over the weekend and found a dealer that had a 27k model in stock. It was actually an early trade-in, so it was considered a used model. I did get some information that helped answer my questions. First, CCC. Individual four point weights were not available, but the CCC tag was a big surprise. It listed a CCC of 2836 pounds, and clearly stated that a full tank of fresh water would remove 333 lbs from that total. That means that even with a full load of fresh water, there could be as much as 2500 lbs left over for passengers and cargo. With that much capacity, I'm pretty certain that the rear axle has a good level of spare capacity. Still, I'd want to see a true four point weigh in before I made any commitment.

I did get an answer to the utility hookups. Those are strange. Cable tv and a connection for a portable satellite dish are in the back hatch. A fresh water tank fill point is in a little locked hatch high on the driver's rear side. It almost looks like a fuel fill hatch, but that is clearly marked farther ahead on the driver's side. "City" water is in the hatch that also contains the outdoor shower. It looks like that hatch must stay open when hooked up. 30 amp cable has a hatch of its own with the auto transfer switch way in the back of it, but it looks like it would take some care to keep the cable from getting tangled up when stowing. The sewer hook up is the strangest. The black water tank is ahead of the rear axle, and the external sewer line connects to it, with a blade valve for black water in that compartment. However, the gray water tank is behind the rear axle. An electric pump must pump the gray water through a small line up over the rear axle and to the connection at the black water tank. The blade valve for the gray water tank is at the tank, just before the pump. There is a small garden hose connection that has its own ball valve down under the blade valve for the gray water tank. I guess it could be used to bypass the pump if you could rig a separate hose connection to the campground sewer.

I go through all this detail because we leave the gray water blade valve open when we camp for more that one night. That way the water can drain as we shower and use the sinks. We close up the day before leaving and use that water to flush the 3 inch hose ... very common practice. It appears that with the 27k the gray water will accumulate and it must be pumped to drain it. Ugh. I don't like dealing with full tanks at 11 pm. It seems like the engineers should have reversed the setup and had the external sewer hookup at the gray water tank. They could have then used a macerator pump at the black water tank to move the "sludge" up over the back axle and to the sewer connection. That way it could be run when packing up in the morning and gray water could be used to flush the sewer hose.

Any other class C's or B+ models have this setup? What are your experiences with it?

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorwig View Post
.... I did come across a comment that made it sound like CCC was over 2000 pounds, which is great....

.....I'm sure I can clear this up as soon as I can actually see a 27k, but I can't figure out the utility hookups....

Gary
Aspiring 27k owner

Old 04-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Gary,
That set up does seem odd. In our 30C our water hose, shower and cable are in the rear hatch and yes the hatch does close when we are using the hose and cable as there is a outlet for them to drop down into, then out the rig. Our black/grey water release is all together in one place.
Might I suggest looking at a 30C? Its only 31/2 ft longer, but does have the three slides and is heavier. I bet the mpg isn't all that different, because we're getting the same as our 27' Lexington did.
If we weren't leaving for a trip tomorrow, I would gladly have you come over and take a look at our unit, you might be surprised at the difference....and you're not too far away.
Have you checked the Concord? Giant Rec on US 1 has a couple. We looked at them, but had our heart set on Winnebago.
Any questions feel free to ask or PM me.
Andi
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

The 27k layout of black/gray water connections caused me the greatest concern. Our salesman was not familiar with this model, and he was not able to provide much detail. It might be possible that the gray water would do a slow drain without the pump if the valve were left open. However, I'm pretty certain I'd forget to check levels and very quickly be tip toeing out at 11:00 pm to drain that tank AFTER I realized I was standing in water in the shower!

We were in and out of a 30C, but we did not have the time to do a real close inspection. The first question my wife would ask would be "Does it need as much constant attention to drive as our 34 foot class A?" Our "small" class A is not too hard to drive, but it is as wide as any class A and it does not "drive itself" as some big diesel owners like to brag. You do have to steer to keep it in lane more so than a car.

You asked, and I can't remember if I answered ... we live at The Great Outdoors near Titusville, FL. We used to live here year around, but now that we are retired we spend half the year either on the road or at our home in the Virginia mountains.

Gary

Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Gary,
Jim and I don't find any difference between the 27' and 30' other than in our length with our TV. Our new one handles so much better than our 27', but our 27' was a 2007. Leaving this morning and can't wait to get on the road. Sorry your salesman didn't know much about the rig he was trying to sell...doesn't surprise me tho.
Good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide.
Andi
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Gary, we own a 2013 27K. The rear storage is behind the rear wheels but most of the items that I put there is light, chairs, hoses, misc. items probably not more than 200 lbs. There is so much other storage available, I put the heaver items in the other compartments. The only hookups in the rear are for the TV. I drilled a hole in the acess door for water and inserted a stainless sleeve so I coould close the water door when hooked up. The gray water tank is behind the rear axle so there is a macerator pump to pump the gray over the axle to the black water outlet. We have the dinnett but I'm not sure sure I would'nd buy a sofa and table. The unit drives great and has plenty of storage--we are happy.
John