Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone installed a Centrtal Vac system in a Journey or Meridian MH. If so which brand and where and how was it installed. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 08-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone installed a Centrtal Vac system in a Journey or Meridian MH. If so which brand and where and how was it installed. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 08-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not ta burst yer bubble, but my DW, the expert on vacuuming, she has 6 vacuums, don't ask, and uses a standup from the house to vacuum the coach.
She has proved it to me by vacuuming the coach with the installed unit, then using the standup from the house, and WOW, it's amazing how much the OEM misses.
She says the factory installed "Dirt Devil", is "OK" for a backup.
Just a heads up before spending some unnecessary money.
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I put a Dirt Devil in my 35U and pulled it when I traded. I'd sell it cheap! It's OK once in a while but not for everyday use. I bought a Dyson for that. You'd be suprised at how much dog hair comes up after just 2 days. And no more breathing problems
Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Same thing here. I took the time and expense of installing a central vac and my DW prefers a small light weight upright vacuum that we now store in the closet. Go figure!
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I cannot comment on the efficacy of a central vac (we use a small Bissell upright) but JoeK did a nice install of a Dirt Devil central vac in his former 2002 Journey. If you do a search, you will likely find his excellent post with photos of the install.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #7

We had the central vac already installed on our MH's 3 and 4. When we ordered our 08 Vectra that was one of the things I DID NOT want. Now that we have mostly ceramic tile anyway, I find that a small upright does a much better job. I found dragging out the hose for the central vac a real pain when I wanted to use it. Now I just plug in the upright when I need to clean and it does a much better job.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Talk about good timing. I'm preparing for my East coast trip this year and one of my to do things was installing a central vac. I'll keep a close watch on this threads to see if anyone has any pros. I also like the upright models but mine is very big and bulky. Might have to change directions.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We also installed the Dirt Devil central system and after about a month I said "take it out". Didn't get up the hair, dog and cat, and I had to use a regular vac behind the central.

Got a nice litle canister vac at Lowes that does a great job.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Here's a pro comment on the Dirt Devil central vac.
We have one in our 07 Tour and my wife loves it. (and she is not easy to please!). At first the suction was bad until I looked underneath at the main unit and saw the cover was not properly positioned and the gasket was leaking air. Once I fixed that it will suck the chrome off a bumper!
The best feature is the 'crummer' under the cabinet. Just sweep up your pile of dirt, kick open the lever and the pile is gone.
Traveling with three boys and a dog (non shedding though), it gets a lot of use.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I installed a Dirt Devil Central Vac in my Journey and it works well. Unit is in the basement, with the hose coming up under the dinette seat, with the outlet mounted on the outside edge of the dinette seat.

Ours works great. One addition I made was to purchase a turbine beater brush which does a good job of picking up the dog hair.

I read somewhere that Dirt Devil did improve their power in recent years. Ours has lots of suction.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Our Dirt Devil in a 2007 Tour is disappointing. I will double check it again based on a couple of these posts, but I much prefer our small upright.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone ever installed the Intervac central vacuum in their rv? Thinking about doing this. Feedback anyone?
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I installed a Dirt Devil about three years, but seldom use it. I sometimes clean with it before a trip, but DW and DGD prefer to grab a DustBuster we mounted on the bathroom wall.