Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Input Thanks!

Thanks to all who posted to my post of ~1 month ago, asking about the Itasca Suncruiser. We went ahead and bought the 2011 model 37F we were considering and have travelled ~1500 miles since then. Only 2 problems so far....a small shower leak that I was able to fix with almost 2 small tubes of caulk (the factory had sealed the OUTSIDE of the shower door mounting framework - not the inside!) The other issue is the sensor for the black water holding tank - - it shows 1/4 full when it is completely empty. I tried a special clean on it, but it still shows the problem. This also causes the electric toilet sensor to read incorrectly. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you fix the problem? Thanks for any responses!
2more2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

lots of folks have the problem with the sensors , most use the calgon water softner and Dawn dish washer soap to treat the black water tank. after you dump the tank add 3 or 4 gal. water 1 cup Dawn and 1/2 cup of calgon to the tank . you can do a search on here on using the calgon dawn method of treating your sewage tank.
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, read up on the 'RV Geo method'.
I dump 3 to 5 gallons of hot water, liquid laundry detergent and liquid laundry softener (1 laundry load worth) just prior to traveling on a camping trip - then dump tanks prior to returning home. Let the driving clean the black water tank.
After doing this about 3 times, it cleaned up the sensors that the last owner said never worked for him - all's worked fine for 2 years plus.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Went to Wal-Mart today to find Calgon water softener -- all they had was Calgon water beads (in the bath section). Is this the same thing?

Patsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Yes, read up on the 'RV Geo method'.
I dump 3 to 5 gallons of hot water, liquid laundry detergent and liquid laundry softener (1 laundry load worth) just prior to traveling on a camping trip - then dump tanks prior to returning home.

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaRules View Post
Went to Wal-Mart today to find Calgon water softener -- all they had was Calgon water beads (in the bath section). Is this the same thing?

Patsy
No that stuff is for soaking baths....but your tanks will smell nice
Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Patsy
Calgon water softener is tough to find, I found some in a little "Hick Town" a while back but have not found any in the big city.
If you look in the laundry section you might find it, if not get some Borateem laundry booster, use it with the 4 to 5 gallons of water and the Dawn, you'll be good to go.
I quite relying on the guages for actual info. I just check them for a general idea
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you have the new style sensors, those that do not penetrate the tank, it is probably a loose connection.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to replogle
Have you tried ice. Have your holding tank 1/4 to 1/3 full of water. Then add 10lbs of ice. Drive around and let the ice clean the sensors as it moves around. It's worked for me in the past. Just an old fashion way to clean those dirty sensors.

2001 Journey DL
replogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Not knowing what type sensor you have the sensor in question may never have be calculated correctly in the first place, some have a small pot to adjust when tank is full and others may have a electronic push button adjustment.

Here are two I am talking about.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I finally found some online (2 bottles 32 ounces each) for $11 with free shipping if $25 or more ordered -- so, I ordered 3 sets. It would be wonderful if the tank guages worked correctly but, I mainly want to be sure the tanks are clean of crud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
Patsy
Calgon water softener is tough to find, I found some in a little "Hick Town" a while back but have not found any in the big city. If you look in the laundry section you might find it, if not get some Borateem laundry booster, use it with the 4 to 5 gallons of water and the Dawn, you'll be good to go. I quite relying on the guages for actual info. I just check them for a general idea

Have heard about putting a bag of ice down the toilet then riding around works then again I've heard that method can damage the sensors. Think I will work with the GEO method and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Patsy

Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Patsy, it may take several trips to dissolve/clean the sensors - be patient.
If you go out prior to receiving your Calgon, try the laundry soap/fabric softener suggested in post 3. 'Gain' worked for me. It does the same thing as the Geo method.
Also, make sure you use toilet paper that dissolves quickly. Do a search and you will find where folks experimented with different types - RV paper not necessary. The traditional sensors are just like little nails and heavy ply toilet paper will stick and gum them up.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The Calgon method works most of the time! Ice not so much. RV sensors are subject to almost never working in the black tank unless they are on the Outside of the tank. Lots of flushing with your sprayer, if you have one, if not install one. I also use the wand through the inside top of the toilet. It gets the walls very clean. Not a nice job but every so often it is necessary. The wand can be bought from CW. BTW use an enzyme for treatment it helps dissolve the "stuff". I prefer "Happy Camper" powder.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Your sensors are on the outside of the tank. The methods mentioned above of using softener, ice, etc. are for dealing with sensors inside the tank.

You either have a bad sensor, broken wire or the sensor came off. You should be able to crawl under the coach and find the sensors, they are black squares that are glued to the side of the tank. Check for broken wires or one that has popped off the tank.
swreeder70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

OK, I am getting confused.... Are you telling me MY sensors are on the outside and not inside the tank? If so, how did you come to that conclusion?

Thanks,
Patsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swreeder70 View Post
Your sensors are on the outside of the tank. The methods mentioned above of using softener, ice, etc. are for dealing with sensors inside the tank.

You either have a bad sensor, broken wire or the sensor came off. You should be able to crawl under the coach and find the sensors, they are black squares that are glued to the side of the tank. Check for broken wires or one that has popped off the tank.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaRules View Post
OK, I am getting confused.... Are you telling me MY sensors are on the outside and not inside the tank? If so, how did you come to that conclusion?

Thanks,
Patsy
Your sensors could be on the outside depending on the manufacturer. Mine are on the outside and don't read correctly. The manufacturer said it could be a water hose laying on or near the sensor. I flushed once and the tank sensor went 1/4, after 5 flushes it went to 1/2, about 15 flushes it went to 3/4 full. It's a 40 gal tank. Going to have them looked at in a week or so.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

It appears the original poster has an Itasca Motorhome. An Itasca motorhome definitely has external sensors on the tanks. But even with external sensors, crud can build up on the inside of black tank and cause the false reading. I am on my 2nd Winnebago and both have had this problem. The only fix I have found is to flush with a tank wand through the toilet. Of course this only works if the toilet empties directly into the tank.
As to Patsy's problem. She, according to her signature, has a Gulfstream travel trailer. I don't know what sensors her trailer would have. Patsy, I suggest you post in the Gulfstream owners forum. The people there would know better whether you have internal or external sensors.

By the way, I get the Calgon Water Softener in the laundry detergent area at Walmart.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I'm confused also? Was under the impression that for outside sensors one needed an aftermarket sensor ie: Sealand Company!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Does your newer rig have a black tank flush port? I thought that was common on the Winnie/iras a products.

I've found that by regularly using it to flush the tank has given good sensor readings over the years.

Welcome
J
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The external sensors came from the factory on my 2012. The manufacture is sensa tank. At this point in time I am not terribly impressed with their product
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Clay, Winnebago has been using external sensors for at least 10 years, probably longer. This link will take you to a service tip from 2003 concerning the sensors.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...%20Systems.pdf

Jack, I think gassers don't have tank rinse and diesels do. I do have one in my current coach, but it still doesn't do a good job of rinsing the black tank.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote