Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Ideal Rest Questions

Is the Ideal Rest mattress a Winnebago proprietary product? (I cannot find Ideal Rest on Google as a separate entity.) Why did Winnebago quit putting Select Comfort Sleep Number mattresses in their motor homes?

Our 2011 Journey came with an Ideal Rest mattress, and my wife and I have disliked it from the beginning for a number of reasons. We had to have a new pump installed in April. Now one side of the mattress is not holding air and is essentially useless. My wife is sleeping on our Journey's uncomfortable couch every night on our current trip. We're stopping at our dealer on our way home in two days.

We have had Select Comfort mattresses since 1999 and have had no problems and have loved them. We currently have Select Comforts in two beds at home and have had Select Comforts in our two previous Winnebago motor homes . . . all with no problems. Again, why did Winnebago switch?
Stan & BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The company that makes the Ideal Rest bed in our mc is Innomax out of Denver CO. Here is the email addy I have for customer service and phone number: [email protected] , 720-241-0649. They have been reasonably responsive, plus the owners manual has lots of little tricks to keeps things working. Another post mentioned using heater typed auto clamps on the hose nipple connection. I agree that the weakest link in the system has to be the cheesy plastic parts connecting the hose to the pump.
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Wineluvrs: I did not realize the newer 37F used an air mattress. Ours didn't. It came with a foam mattress with a shaved end at the head that "folds" when the bed is retracted.
Do you have to partially deflate it to retract the bed and pull the slides in for travel?
Thanks, Ed
Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Wineluvrs: I did not realize the newer 37F used an air mattress. Ours didn't. It came with a foam mattress with a shaved end at the head that "folds" when the bed is retracted.
Do you have to partially deflate it to retract the bed and pull the slides in for travel?
Thanks, Ed
Yes and yes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Stan & BJ; we have the same mattress set-up and there is an issue with keeping the hose hooked to the pump. The plastic twist locks keep breaking and the hose comes unhooked, then the chamber will not inflate/hold air. What I did to solve the problem was us an automotive heater hose clamp and put it around the plastic twist lock and after ensuring the hose was fully seated tighten the hose clamp to hold the hose tightly connected to the pump. Problem solved.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We've had a similar issue and discovered that the air leak was the result of a partially broken connector on the hose from the deflated mattress. Choosing the appropriate firmness setting while holding the connector in place and then disconnecting it has resolved the problem for now. The check valve in the connector is still holding pressure after 6 months.

There are replacement connectors that appear to be more robust than the original.

"NEW", Twist And Lock, (T-N-L) "CAM" CONNECTORS - Air Bed and Air Mattress Components, Replacement Parts and Accessories.

Mike
maifimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for everyone's input and good ideas. D Lindy's comments got me to thinking that the problem just had to be the pump-end hose connection, so I examined it closely (such easy access!) as to how it tightens (a single 3/4 turn thread) and secures itself by a final notch. It was not fully tightened and secured. (Neither was the hose for the non-leaking side!) I got it tightened and secured, and the problem was solved. The mattress now holds air! If it doesn't stay tightened, I'll use WineLuvr's good clamp idea. I also like maifimd's idea. I noticed that when I temporarily removed the hose to the non-leaking side, it lost no air, and I presumed there was a check valve. Again, thanks for everyone's input. Once again, irv2 members saved me dealer-repair dollars!
Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan & BJ View Post
Thanks for everyone's input and good ideas. I'll use WineLuvr's good clamp idea. I also like maifimd's idea. I noticed that when I temporarily removed the hose to the non-leaking side, it lost no air, and I presumed there was a check valve. Again, thanks for everyone's input. Once again, irv2 members saved me dealer-repair dollars!
You folks are most welcome. We are pleased to have been of assistance. Happy trails, Steve & Diane
Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I miss our Sleep Numbers. Will ditch the Ideal Rest when we can afford to. The controls are strange and the firmness is not truly adjustable like the old Sleep Numbers was.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I miss our Sleep Numbers. Will ditch the Ideal Rest when we can afford to. The controls are strange and the firmness is not truly adjustable like the old Sleep Numbers was.

Jerichorick,

Good description of some of the Ideal Rest vs. Sleep Number problems! We agree entirely!

You're the only one who responded to the Ideal Rest / Sleep Number differences . . . and no one has commented as to why Winnebago made the switch. My dealer says they have made numerous repairs under factory warranty on Ideal Rest beds, so Winnebago surely knows there are problems.

Stan
Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks, Stan, for the feedback. I didn't realize they had a lot of problems. All I know is that they are not nearly as comfortable as the Sleep Numbers.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I recently took our Journey to the factory and among the things that I had them look at was the mattress would not hold air overnight. They could not find a leak. However the service man made a determination that the hose made a sharp turn that put a crimp in the hose. After straightening the hose the air pressure held. Does not make sense to me, but it seems to work.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

We also missed our previous sleep number bed that we used for 8 yrs. We have had this Ideal Rest now for a yr and a half, and it is getting better, or we are adapting better. I do like the bed fill and reset option, it may keep the mattress shape better over the long haul.

When we were back at the factory in Feb I asked one of the parts counter ladies and she was pretty emphatic that it was a better constructed mattress.

So far we haven't had any problems. Sharon keeps a fitted mattress pad on, and in the colder weather we use a heated mattress pad.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Good discussion about the two types of air beds. Here's my experience. Our previous sleep number developed a leak on one side. The mattress held air, but there was a leak near the pump which I fixed without much effort. IMHO the Sleep Number never felt really comfortable to me. To me, it felt a little like an old water bed ... if you can image that sensation. And, I'm a Sleep Number fan. We have had a comfortable and reliable Sleep Number in the home for about 7 years and we both really like it.

Now, when we got the current Winnie with the Ideal Rest bed I was skeptical but immediately felt the bed was more comfortable than the Sleep Number, hands down. It felt more firm to me and not simply in terms of air pressure. I think it may have some internal foam support baffles. The air settings took some getting used to but once the sweet spot was found, I really like this bed.

Like with so many items, it usually is a matter of personal preference or taste. I hope this air bed proves reliable.

Cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Joopy, that is a good description of both mattresses. The thing you hit upon about the Ideal Rest is the firmness. I found that it starts off much harder than the Sleep Numbers. For me this was and is a problem. I now frequently wake with soreness in places I did not have on the Sleep Numbers. We also have a foam pad on the bed. But, at 68, and with a back that is functioning at least that old, I guess different pains and aches is to be expected in the morning.

I think Sleep Numbers has had a mattress redesign in recent years. I could be wrong. And now the controls are available wireless. That is a nice feature.

On my old coach I had a leak as you describe. I, too, was able to repair it and the fix lasted several years.