Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We're getting ready for a 30 day trip out West so have been getting the rig ready...belts, hoses checked, coolant flush and re-fill, fluids checked, de-greased the engine (that was interesting), cleaned the radiator, washed the beast top to bottom, polished the wheels, lubed the slides....you get the idea. I've been on that thing like a duck on a June bug .

All we gotta do now is load the skivvies, beans and the dog, check the air in the tires and hit the road. Leaving Sept. 7....can't wait
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We're getting ready for a 30 day trip out West so have been getting the rig ready...belts, hoses checked, coolant flush and re-fill, fluids checked, de-greased the engine (that was interesting), cleaned the radiator, washed the beast top to bottom, polished the wheels, lubed the slides....you get the idea. I've been on that thing like a duck on a June bug .

All we gotta do now is load the skivvies, beans and the dog, check the air in the tires and hit the road. Leaving Sept. 7....can't wait
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

enjoy the time as i am sure it is well deserved. look forward to a complete report of a happy trip.
terry
Old 08-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:

All we gotta do now is load the skivvies, beans and the dog, check the air in the tires and hit the road. Leaving Sept. 7....can't wait </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you have a great time. We are leaving Aug. 29 for 6 weeks to WI via Utah, South Dakota and then back to CA via KY, TN, OK, TX, AZ.

We want to visit some good mineral and crystal fossiking areas on the way back. Any suggestions?

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes - but did you grease the muffler bearing ??

Let us know where you are headed!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:10 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Sounds like someone needs to tighten the nut behind the seventh wheel!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Yes - but did you grease the muffler bearing ??

Let us know where you are headed! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John: Yep, greased the muffler bearing .

Our first destination will be Black Hills; then on to Rocky Mt. Nat. Park; then down across Utah into AZ to Grand Canyon. Then we will start heading toward home on I-40 and see as much as we can along the way. Hope to see some fool try to eat that 72 oz. steak at Texas Steak Ranch in Amarillo, maybe see Paulo Duro Canyon; eat some B-B-Q at Porky's in Memphis, and whatever else catches our eye in the time we have.

I am a fan of Food Network's Alton Brown and have been watching his 'Feasting on Asphalt' series. He crossed the country on a motorcycle in 27 days and sought out local 'road-food' spots. Much of his travels in the West were on routes/roads we plan to take...fabulous scenery! Needless to say, we are excited.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Gary, sounds NEAT!!

I'm more a fan of Sandra Lee's "Semi-Homemade Cooking" Show....

Rather watch "her" cook than Alton...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Haven't seen that one Bob. I do like to watch Racheal Wray...$40 a Day. Alton ain't much to look at but he is entertaining
Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I would recommend the Blues City Cafe on Beale St. for ribs in Memphis. I am not familiar with Porky's but am with Corky's and the BC Cafe is better.

If you pass through Albuquerque you must go to Sadie's Cocinita on 4th St. for NM style Mexican food. It is fantastic!

Nick
Old 08-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

While in Memphis ...

I second the idea of the ribs at the Blues City Cafe ... we enjoy live music ... especially blues and jazz ... we spent an enjoyable evening in BB King's Club across the street from the Blues City Cafe ..,

And just up the street (149 Union) is The Peabody hotel ... they are well known for the ducks that live in a penthouse ... ride down the elevator each morning ... and swim in the fountain in the main lobby ... have a morning cup of coffee and watch the show ... it is free (not the coffee)

There is also another rib place just north of the Peabody ... they have "dry" roasted ribs there ... also good ... but not as good as the Blues City Cafe ...

It might be a little bit out of your way but you could pick a few miles of the Natchez Trace ... a very enjoyable drive ... no trucks ... limited access ...

Have a great trip ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the tips....you are correct, I was told 'Corky's' not 'Porky's.' We will certainly check out the BC Cafe and the Mexican rest. in NM.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I think that other rib place is The Rendezvous and is very famous. They do serve the dry rib and they are good and the place is fun, but if you can only do one I would do Blues City Cafe.

I agree on the blues music on Beale St. Lots of good clubs and it is very safe. Memphis is a great town.

Nick
Old 08-21-2006, 01:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Anyone want to start a pool on how much weight Gary will gain?
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

If you are going to stop in OKC let me know.

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Anyone want to start a pool on how much weight Gary will gain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim: I will try and stay away from KK donuts. However, No other guarentees. Bear will take me for a brisk walk every day so maybe I'll not challenge the CCC of the rig before we get home .
Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buddy & Jenna Kidd:
If you are going to stop in OKC let me know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The current route homeward takes us thru OKC, unless we detour to Flippin, AR, which, I believe, takes me through Tulsa. We'll let you know when we get close.

I've got a Ranger boat and have always wanted to tour the Ranger factory in Flippin.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #18
BLT
Winnebago Watcher

smlranger!
I am also big fan of Alton Brown.
I Can't wait to see this great Country of ours
and to eat the food at some road food spots..
Being this is my first post on here but not my first time searching the halls of this great website, (Have been doing it for the past year) and could not resist to reply about Alton Brown
I Learn something new every time I watch his Show.. Have Safe and Wonderful trip..

BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:29 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Gary,

Enjoy the trip and keep us posted on your travels.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Gary,
We did a similar trip last year. We included the Tetons, Yellowstone and some of South Dakota.

We do a lot of "boondocking" on the road, when we travel. We entered Trail Ridge Road in RMNP via Estes Park and wound down South. Lots of places to spend the night once you leave the park.

Once you get some altitude, you need blankets at night not air conditioning.

Have a great trip, but don't expect much to see on I-40 coming back. Lots of flat country. We enjoy talking books and took Stephen Ambrose, "Undaunted Courage." (Lewis and Clark trip)... it was awesome to be in some of the same places as the L&C journal was relating.

Have a good trip...