Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I Know This Sounds Stupid, but..

I'm thinking of trading my '06 Itasca Horizon to go from a 40 footer down to a 35 footer '11 34Y (Itasca or WGO). I would take quite a hit, probably 40k + and I don't really have a great reason except that I got divorced a year and a half ago and RV'ing was something that we enjoyed together and my current rig is something that we bought together. Now, it's a constant reminder when I go out with my new girlfriend so I'm weighing my options and enlisting the opinions of my fellow RV'ers.

I could do an RV makeover, like I did with my home, to see if that makes it feel better, but I'm not too sure if that would do it. I've already changed out the TV's for flat panels and went totally HD. I could replace the carpet with wood.. etc. to freshen things up

Is there anything in the 34Y that would really be worth it? I have a Jeep Wrangler that I tow and it's pretty heavy with all of it's modifications (probably around 5600-6000 pounds). Would the 34Y handle this? Is the gas mileage really that much better? Does it handle that much better?

Please give me some things to consider. I don't have too much time since Ron at Lichtsinn has 2 non-urea units in stock. I REALLY don't want that hassel.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The brochure for the 2010 shows 10,000 lb towing capacity, so you would have enough. I kind of like the 34Y, but in the end went with a 2008 Tour 40TD. I never drove the 34Y, so I don't know how it drives.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Not stupid at all, I too am reconsidering my decision to get 40ft of RV...

It's really difficult to get back in the wilderness with a 40 ft DP!

There are some amazing superC's out there in a 33 feet or so...

Like this....

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I wonder if you'd look back and think how much bigger and better the old one was..................$40K ago.
Did the 'makeover' on the house work?
And if you get a new GF, another new M/H?......JMHO
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskymt View Post
I wonder if you'd look back and think how much bigger and better the old one was..................$40K ago.
Did the 'makeover' on the house work?
And if you get a new GF, another new M/H?......JMHO
Thanks for the thoughts. When I made the decision 5 years ago now, I had more kids willing to go along with us which has now dwindled down considerably. My new GF likes RV'ing, but not to a point that I do so this would be pretty much just for me. No, a new GF wouldn't prompt a new MH buy, just the one I have now was ordered and picked out by us so the whole experience including the trip out and the drive back still hurts.

With the exception of a few creature features (a fireplace and a 2000 watt inverter vice a 1000 watt inverter), the 2 coaches match up pretty well. Just not sure of the power and handling coming from a 400 horse ISL with 1000lbs of torque and an Allison 3000 going to a 340 with 660lbs of torque and an Allison 2500. The weight on both coaches do vary quite a bit, one at around 32000 and the new one would be around 27-28k. My coach now stands pretty tall at around 13'3" whereas the new one would be around 12'6" That may reduce some sway in the wind. My mileage would definitely go up (I think) from around 6.5 to maybe 9.5 or so.

No doubt i would give a few things up, but i'm wondering if things have improved a lot in 5 years?

The makeover on the house worked well. The house is 10 years old so the new paint and furniture did wonders. I built it for us to raise her 3 kids and my one. Her 3 are all grown up now so she had a mid-life crisis and decided to be single again. My daughter is 15 and doesn't do too much RVing with me.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 08-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Big Trace, sorry to hear about all of your heartache, that stuff is no fun. I have a 34 ft Itasca Meridian with a Cat 330 and it is great. It's the same engine that they used in the 40ft but with a lot less weight. I tow a 2004 CR V that weighs about 3,300lbs and I can pass trucks going uphill. It has a basement air so the coach is only 11'7" tall. Being 34ft allows me to get ints State parks that don't allow longer Coaches. If the ask me how long it is I tell them it's listed as a 30 King. They never check. Good luck with the new girlfriend and I hope you have many miles and happy years ahead of you.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Big Trace, sorry to hear about all of your heartache, that stuff is no fun. I have a 34 ft Itasca Meridian with a Cat 330 and it is great. It's the same engine that they used in the 40ft but with a lot less weight. I tow a 2004 CR V that weighs about 3,300lbs and I can pass trucks going uphill. It has a basement air so the coach is only 11'7" tall. Being 34ft allows me to get ints State parks that don't allow longer Coaches. If the ask me how long it is I tell them it's listed as a 30 King. They never check. Good luck with the new girlfriend and I hope you have many miles and happy years ahead of you.
Thanks Chuck, I used to have a Fleetwood Discovery with a Cat 330 and it too was great, but hauling a heavier toad is my concern. I do a lot of Jeeping and even though the hitch can tow 10,000, we all know the real story My Discovery had 860lbs of torque too so going that far down worries me a lot, especially on hills!!

Thanks for the well wishes too. Everything for me is good now, just justifying "why" i'm even considering this and eliciting anyone who has experience with the coach!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Big Trace, The guy I bought my Itasca from towed a Jeep Commander and used to tow it to Las Vegas from LA and there are some long, steep grades on that pull and he said it towed great. One othe possability is to to plug your draw bar into the coach that you are looking at, hook up your Jeep and see how it tows. All Moterhomes have hitches already on them so it shouldn't be a problem. How's that for a plan?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Big Trace, The guy I bought my Itasca from towed a Jeep Commander and used to tow it to Las Vegas from LA and there are some long, steep grades on that pull and he said it towed great. One othe possability is to to plug your draw bar into the coach that you are looking at, hook up your Jeep and see how it tows. All Moterhomes have hitches already on them so it shouldn't be a problem. How's that for a plan?
I know that road, and I do agree, there are some very long grades towards Vegas for sure. I'm in San Diego and thought of your idea already, but went to La Mesa RV and they don't have any so I'm searching LA and Temecula now

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I found mine on RV trader. If you are ever near Burbank I would let you try towing it behind mine to see how it works.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I found mine on RV trader. If you are ever near Burbank I would let you try towing it behind mine to see how it works.
Thanks for the offer Chuck, but you have a 330 Cat with 860lbs of Torque in your rig. I'd say it had plenty of power for my Jeep, but this 34Y only has 660lbs of torque on an Allison 2500 instead of a 3000 which is quite a difference. I've taken many grades in the heat of summer (100 degree days) where the temp gauge races to the top really fast and I have to play "temp manager" rather than drive when going up the grades. I'm sure we've all done it, just would prefer to do it less!! )

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

In the words of a former President,"Ifeel your pain". I agree, I don't think the smaller engine would do a good job and you are right about the heating problem, that is no fun driving to the temperature guage.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
In the words of a former President,"Ifeel your pain". I agree, I don't think the smaller engine would do a good job and you are right about the heating problem, that is no fun driving to the temperature guage.
The dealer showed me a Tiffin unit this morning with the new urea tank in it. He laughed because they haven't sold 1 urea equipped coach and they have no clue on how to re-fill the tank. This is the DEALER!! I said "attach it to a urinal inside, it'll work"! They and many others are dumbfounded by the whole urea equipped rigs and you have to refill them every 2-3 tanks of fuel. Crazy!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

So sorry for your hurt and delima. I don't really have any objective input for you other than to say that the Horizon is an incredible coach... especially with the updates you've already done... and after two divorces I know that the hurt will fade long before a $40K hit... IMHO.

Good luck to you...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

BigTrace,
A very wise person told me not to make too many decisions the first year of a divorce. 40K is alot of money.
Saundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

$40K would be a crazy loss................ If you want to throw away $40K give it to a single parent getting ready to loose there home to the economy, or save it and enjoy it with your new girl friend or girl friends.

The kids will want to go again, let the girl friend and you decorate the coach and go camping.

LIFE is SHORT ENJOY it.... NOW!!!!

I agree don't make any HUGE decisions for at least a year. $40K in the pocket.
motofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Saundra. Been there, done that. How about.... tell your new girlfriend that you want her to do whatever to the coach that she wants to, to make it 'yours'. Betcha she can't spend $40,000.00

Some memories you'll never get rid of, no matter how many coaches or houses you buy, or how much money you spend.

Just focus on the good memories, and look forward to many more good new ones.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Amazing you still have the house and MH. WTG !
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
Amazing you still have the house and MH. WTG !
Trust me when I tell you she walked away with plenty more than she deserved after only being married for 6 years and having nothing on the way in. My pockets are MUCH lighter now, but I am happier, that's for sure

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD