Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I am going to Reno Nev. the 1st of the year.
The temperatures have been around low 40s daytime and high teens nightime.
My beloved Sister passed away christmas eve. and her funeral is less than a week away.
Some members of my family and my wife and I are going To Reno.
Today I topped off the fuel tank in my 2002 Journey DL, and I added some additive for low weather diesel fuel. I only added about 8 gallons so I hope it mixed well.
Filled my tires to best air pressures, and topped off my propane tank.
However I have a question or two. I am calling manufacture customer support tomorrow, but really anxious now for some Winnie member support about a few worries of mine which I value much more.
The refridgerator. Should I just keep it on propane the whole time, maybe 4-5 days. The extra heat in that compartment from the flame or is electric sufficient.
I checked out the backside of the refer. and the water line going to the icemaker from the valve upward into the refer. is covered in a light blue foil with electrical wire imbedded.
in this foil. It looks to me like a heated covering for this small plastic water line.
From the Valve going back to the water source, which is the same small hard plastic line dissapears in the innards of the coach wall is not protected in any way.
I thought I would wrap it in some bubble wrap or something to give insulation. Mind you, all these lines are directly behind the removable Refer. access door on the outside of the coach, which is of course very exposed to the elements.
Right now I wish I didnt have an icemaker on the refer.
I plan on leaving the heat on at night with selected doors open to the plumbing areas.
Any advice is appriated. and no, I really do not want to motel/hotel the trip, but will if I am not being real sensible here.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am going to Reno Nev. the 1st of the year.
The temperatures have been around low 40s daytime and high teens nightime.
My beloved Sister passed away christmas eve. and her funeral is less than a week away.
Some members of my family and my wife and I are going To Reno.
Today I topped off the fuel tank in my 2002 Journey DL, and I added some additive for low weather diesel fuel. I only added about 8 gallons so I hope it mixed well.
Filled my tires to best air pressures, and topped off my propane tank.
However I have a question or two. I am calling manufacture customer support tomorrow, but really anxious now for some Winnie member support about a few worries of mine which I value much more.
The refridgerator. Should I just keep it on propane the whole time, maybe 4-5 days. The extra heat in that compartment from the flame or is electric sufficient.
I checked out the backside of the refer. and the water line going to the icemaker from the valve upward into the refer. is covered in a light blue foil with electrical wire imbedded.
in this foil. It looks to me like a heated covering for this small plastic water line.
From the Valve going back to the water source, which is the same small hard plastic line dissapears in the innards of the coach wall is not protected in any way.
I thought I would wrap it in some bubble wrap or something to give insulation. Mind you, all these lines are directly behind the removable Refer. access door on the outside of the coach, which is of course very exposed to the elements.
Right now I wish I didnt have an icemaker on the refer.
I plan on leaving the heat on at night with selected doors open to the plumbing areas.
Any advice is appriated. and no, I really do not want to motel/hotel the trip, but will if I am not being real sensible here.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We just arrived in Florida after driving in our Meridian 36G from South Dakota. We traveled in very cold weather for the first few days and had no problems. Here is what I did:

* Placed wireless thermometers (velcro-ed on the side) in the water pump and sewer compartments. This let me know exactly how the temperatures were doing.
* Placed a trouble light with a 60w bulb in each compartment (suspended so as to avoid any potential fire) and ran them off the inverter when driving. Worked great and kept the areas at about 42 degrees when the temp was under 15 degrees.

* We ran the furnace (propane) whenever parked. That worked great for us, but did not keep the compartments warm enough by itself.

We had no problem with the ice maker (although I had drained the line when I winterized it)

I think you will be fine and wish you the best.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear about your sister. My condolences.
I looked up the forecast for Reno for the next 10 days. Highs in the 40's , lows in the 20's. . Cold enough to freeze water hoses outside but not cold enough to freeze anything inside. I don't know how many days you plan on being gone but you might be able to make it on 1 tank full of fresh water. So no need for water hoses or sewer hoses outside. If need be, during the day add water & dump tanks. Disconnect the lines & shut up the compartment door. Nothing is going to freeze up & break. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can do the light bulb in water & sewer compartment.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ron,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your sister.

I do not have an ice-maker (we think they take up too much room that could be used for ice cream and frozne bratwurst) so I can not answer your question directly ... however I do use my rig for snow skiing on occasion ... when we do that we put trouble lights in the areas that we are concerned about freezing ... (I buy cheap trouble lights with plastic shields ... so the shield itself doesn't get hot and melt something) ... I place a trouble light in the compartments that I am concerned about freezing ... for me that is water pump and sewer dump ... I think there is room to put a trouble light someplace behind your frig ... I am quite sure there is a 120 volt plug behind the frig ... generally 40 or 60 watt bulbs produce enough heat to keep jack frost from doing damage to your rig ...

That should give you peace of mind so that you can focus on celebrating your sister's life and spending time with family ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

RCTime

As indicated, if you are concerned about the icemaker line, turn the water off (little t-valve under the sink on my rig), then take the water lines loose from both sides of the solenoid inside the outside access door to drain the water lines. After doing that, I have traveled into weather to 5 below zero and had no problem with the ice maker lines freezing.

I also used the wireless thermometers as indicated, one in the water service compartment and one in the water pump compartment to monitor temps. Our LP furnace puts heat into the basement compartments, and although we were prepared to put light bulbs in the compartments if needed, out temps in those compartments did not get low enough to worry about freezing.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Paul. When concerned about cold, I turn off the waterline to the ice maker, and then drain the lines on either side of that solenoid valve. On our 36G, the t-valve is also under the sink. It's kinda up and out of the way so you have to look for it. I just found the water line and followed it with my hand until I found the valve.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I turn off the waterline to the ice maker, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is the off valve to the icemaker located? I noticed that it is not behind the frig.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ron
My Heart goes out to you in your time of loss.

Everyone has covered things well and I can only bid you clear roads and light traffic on your mission.
God Speed

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:14 AM   #10

Our T-valve to the Ice Maker is under our sink....

DEFINATELY turn this off after draining this line and don't use your ice maker during anything below 20 F.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thanks you all for your condolences and good advice. I will give winnebago a call to find where the icemaker shut off is located and get the icemaker drained today. We should then be good to go.
Ron
Old 12-27-2007, 05:57 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhanan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I turn off the waterline to the ice maker, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is the off valve to the icemaker located? I noticed that it is not behind the frig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jhanan
I just called Winnebago, They said it is a brass valve located on the line at the water filter under the kitchen sink.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Our T-valve to the Ice Maker is under our sink....

DEFINATELY turn this off after draining this line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the approach to drain this line while the rest of the coach is under pressure. After the T valve turned off, does the line need to be removed from the fitting at the T-value under the sink, in addition to the connection at the solenoid to the ice maker valve behind the frig - and I suppose drained into a pan or blown out?

I wonder how cold you can go with trouble lights in the water & waste compartments?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:45 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

JHanan
We are leaving in a couple hours to Reno now and I feel go to go. We both have the same 34hd so.
Here is the step by step proceedure how I did mine. Open a faucet and drain off all water pressure.
I removed the line at the solonoid vale that disapears into the coach. I also removed the line at the valve that goes upward to the icemaker. I turned this line so I could drain the water from the loop in this line.
Next I went to the water filter and there is a brass valve with a T handle for the shut off. Screw it in real tight. Then remove the line aft of this valve. Go outside to the line you removed and blow in it to to get the water out. It blows real hard until the water is gone then its an easy blow.
Turn on your water pump and check to see this vlave is fully shut of and not dripping past it. Mine was and I had to use pliers to cinch it tight.
Reinstall your water lines and you are good to go.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">how cold you can go with trouble lights in the water & waste compartments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you will need to determine that for your rig. I suspect the answer is "very, very cold." Use a thermometer with wireless remotes in those compartments to monitor the temps.

I have been in 5 below zero F for over a week at a time and did not even need lights in my compartments. One got to 42 and the other to 38. The key is running the LP furnace, assuming yours puts some heat in the water tanks area.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I spent two winters in the MH in Boise while our home was being built and never had a problem with the icemaker line freezing. Many nights it was well below 20 and a few even below 10.

I did keep a 40 watt bulb on in the water hook up compartment and had heat tape on the incoming water line to keep it from freezing.

One night we stayed in a driveway drycamping in Burley and it got down to 5 degrees and the hot water line was frozen in the morning. The next day it thawed out and we were lucky, nothing was damaged.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote