Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #41
Winnebago Watcher

What RPM are you running when pulling a substancial grade or passing the semi's? Do you know the red line limit?
miataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataman View Post
What RPM are you running when pulling a substancial grade or passing the semi's? Do you know the red line limit?
The red line (rev limiter) is set to engage at 5350 rpm with transmission in gear. When in neutral it will engage around 2000 rpm.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Here we go. This should be very interesting. My daddy can beat up your daddy

I'm curious, you are on a Winnebago forum, posting in a Ford V10 thread. You apparently have neither, according to your signature. You seem quite intent on proving some point regarding what a better choice the V10 is versus a diesel, and yet you condemn others for getting "off topic". My understanding of these forums is that they are intended offer a medium where folks can share a thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among fellow RV enthusiasts.

It's OK to allow others to have differing choices. You're confident in your choice, I'm confident in mine.

The Ford V10 seems to be a very popular RV engine. I'm happy so many folks are experiencing good service from theirs. If we were to look at a small RV, I would certainly consider the V10.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Been rving for over 40 years and have owned 300 Cummins, 6.8 ford and now GM 8.1. I do not believe I have touted one over the other, mearly pointed out that the V10 is very capable of doing the job it was designed to do, and will outpull the 300 Cummins.
I did not condemn anyone for anything. I did ask that we try to stay on topic.
Signatures do not tell life stories.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
mearly pointed out that the V10 is very capable of doing the job it was designed to do, and will outpull the 300 Cummins.
Coaches of equal weight, the Cummins has superior torque, no contest.
0-60 V-10 wins, on serious long hills Cummins wins.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #46

When those blessed V10 triton first hit the market I stoped at a They told me they had a backlog Of 26 Motorhomes they need to replace the engines in. Because they were bad... Now tell me again how great the V10 is; Also it seems we are on the Winnebago site , As was stated in a proir post, What is ford EXC> doing here; Talking about staying on the subject;; I have Owned The Triton ; someone asked in I would own another. Heck No; I spent $25,000 more and got a Real engine A diesel;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Its been a while since I had the V10 but I can tell you that it reaches its peak torque of 425 ft. lbs. @ 3250 rpm and peak 362 hp @ 4750 rpm. Dropping below 3200 rpm I would not advise as the torque drops off very fast.
Anywhere from 3200 to 5000 rpm is acceptable.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Since I didn't have another $25,000 to get a "real engine a diesel", I got a V-10 in a used MH. So far it has served me well.
My gasser has the Banks system on it and I'm sure it helps, it was on when I bought it so I can't compare before and after. It is a first year V-10 so it is a 2-valve 275HP, wish I had the 365HP, maybe on my next MH.
But at 38' and towing a toad on a dolly, I don't win any races. And pulling the long grades on the left half of the country, I am in the slow lane doing about 35 mph in 2nd gear at about 3500rpm. I can wind it out further in 2nd, but keep it below 4000rpm because I have all day to get to the top. Heating is never a problem, Scan Gauge II always reads 206deg or less, even at the top on a hot day.
Although my instant mileage readout has dropped to a low of 2.4MPG on a steep pull, I get 9999MPG going down the other side.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I am assuming you have the 3 valve 362 hp as opposed to the 2 valve 275 hp version.
The three valve became available as an option after 2005
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #50
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
When those blessed V10 triton first hit the market I stoped at a They told me they had a backlog Of 26 Motorhomes they need to replace the engines in. Because they were bad... Now tell me again how great the V10 is; Also it seems we are on the Winnebago site , As was stated in a proir post, What is ford EXC> doing here; Talking about staying on the subject;; I have Owned The Triton ; someone asked in I would own another. Heck No; I spent $25,000 more and got a Real engine A diesel;;
I had to think about how to answer this for a while. To begin I will apologise, for you, to everyone for the rudness that was exhibited.
Anyone can post in any forum on any subject, and this one is no exception.
Whether it is realized or not there are hundreds of Winnebagos on Ford chassis.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I had to think about how to answer this for a while. To begin I will apologise, for you, to everyone for the rudness that was exhibited.
Anyone can post in any forum on any subject, and this one is no exception.
Whether it is realized or not there are hundreds of Winnebagos on Ford chassis.

OK, we all get it; you had your feelings hurt and want everyone to know. How does the above post contribute to the original topic discussed?

Knowledge, experience, help: YES, please.
Otherwise we might as well be on rvdotnet...

I submit we should turn this around and get back to sharing in a positive manner.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #52
Winnebago Camper

the V10 is very capable of doing the job it was designed to do, and will outpull the 300 Cummins.

I'd not advise you to bet the ranch on that, you'd be homeless. Out here in the Rockies the 300 Cummins on a Bounder pulling a 24' enclosed loaded trailer will, by far, outpull my 8.1, and in 35,000 miles of mountain driving, I've never been passed by any CL A gasser when climbing the big ones. We all just putz up about 30-35 MPH.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #53

How do you get By ; with posting the truth. Every time I try to do it , It seems I insult Some body . But I Want part of the bet to. However I'll Put my money On the 300/330 cat Rather then The Powerfull V10. Give them all a 35000.lb load and let them pull;;
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #54
Winnebago Master

When it comes to engine problems with the V-10... I have been known to mention one of the problems with the Trition V-10, and conclude by saying the Chevy 8.1L Vortec did not have that problem.... it had others. And I've heard of Cummins, and other diesels which had issues as well.. In short, every engine maker occasionally messes up. NO exceptions.

The Triton V-10, is a match for the 8.1L Vortec when it comes to peak torque..

However I don't think I've even seen my engine hit 5,000, 4,000 yes, but not five.

It peaks at a much lower speed.

I did have to pass a couple of semis though.. More than enough power to do it.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #55

The post is related to the pulling Power of the V10;; We have traveled Maney caravens were there were V10. In various Coaches; In the lighter coaches they were fine. The larger coach With the V10, would take a bit longer/slower up a long grade; Weight relation to engine size is a large factor;;. The truth be said in there cataglory they are the best; At this time lets find another gas engine; OOPS ; I post from my experiance. I have no bone to pick with anyone, Jack Nickelson, Said it best once,, ( you can't handle the truth ) . In no way do want to belittle/downgrade any one ;; Just the facts ; Life is good;
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Let's face it, diesels are probably better in a MH, but you get what you pay for, and they cost more.
Don't get me wrong, gassers are great (I have one) and affordable, but really, wouldn't many (NOT ALL) of us have a DP if we could afford it, I would.
Luckily for me, and my 275hp V-10, many of the long grades in the West are in the mountains, so as I'm slowly working my way to the top I can enjoy the beautiful scenery. No problem.
Try to remember, it's not a diesel vs gas contest. Apples & oranges...blah blah blah.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #57
Winnebago Camper

I was only intending to say for a gas powered class C it is better performing than I thought, but yeah if I could really afford a DP I would get one in a heartbeat, but I am happy with the Impulse silver, Maggie (that's her name) does just fine.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #58
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Let's face it, diesels are probably better in a MH, but you get what you pay for, and they cost more.
Don't get me wrong, gassers are great (I have one) and affordable, but really, wouldn't many (NOT ALL) of us have a DP if we could afford it, I would.
Luckily for me, and my 275hp V-10, many of the long grades in the West are in the mountains, so as I'm slowly working my way to the top I can enjoy the beautiful scenery. No problem.
Try to remember, it's not a diesel vs gas contest. Apples & oranges...blah blah blah.
WHO CARES, If you enjoy your Motorhome that all that matters. It makes no differance if its 18 feet or 45 feet, if its your and it makes you happy, thats all that counts. After all, we all have beautiful wives.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Here we go. This should be very interesting. My daddy can beat up your daddy

:thum b::exactly :

I couldn't resist.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #60
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
WHO CARES, If you enjoy your Motorhome that all that matters. It makes no differance if its 18 feet or 45 feet, if its your and it makes you happy, thats all that counts. After all, we all have beautiful wives.
Well said, I love my second wife, and the first one too. my second wife and I have a date at the Pomona RV show this weekend, cant wait.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote