Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hurricane coming, leave RV cover on or off?

We've got a storm coming and wife says to leave the cover on to protect the camper, I say remove that it's going to get shredded and could damage the RV.

What's the consensus?
Old 08-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
Living The Dream

Get in it and leave! Seriously, doesn’t look good for FL
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
Site Team

While it would probably protect from small projectiles it would likely also be nearly impossible to keep wind out from under the canopy. A trailer is already light then you add a parachute to it? Nah, not for me. I'd be removing it.
Then again as SeeTheUSA said I'd also be bugging out. (we live in the St. Pete area but have been traveling so we're already bugged out.)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

*I* would take it off, on the belief/assumption that the cover beating against the RV for hours and hours will do more harm than good.
Though I expect this is one of those times where there is no RIGHT answer. Both sides of the argument will have merit.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
option 3. get the RV and you two out of harm"'s way.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Site Team

When a hurricane is approaching all sailboat owners strip their boat of all sails and canvas covers, biminis, etc.

Best idea, if feasible, is to move the boat out of harms way.

Same applies to your RV.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Leave the area is the best option for you and the RV. Be safe no matter what you decide on doing.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Leave! Immediately. That cover won't last 10 minutes in a heavy wind.....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Leave for this little thing?? Nah, when you've been through a Cat 5 hurricane like Andrew you don't flee for 3s and 4s! They're child's play.

But jokes aside, never a good idea to flee, the storm doesn't go in a straight line and just may end up where you fled to. And then there is the issue of getting gas. It's hard to come by in the State right now. You could end up stuck in the path of a hurricane ridding it out in an RV.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Whatever you do, don't take this situation lightly. Yes, there are those who will say just hunker down and ride it out. Having direct and indirect experience with Hurricanes Camille and Andrew, I've heard MANY stories about those who chose to ride it out - many of them were never seen or heard from again, and most of the others said they'd NEVER do that again.

From South Florida it is a solid eight hour drive to the FL/GA state line via the Fl Turnpike/I-75 even under the best conditions. I've done it. From the Keys add 2 - 3 more hours. With the projected path of this storm you'll run smack into a major bottleneck in Central FL when those folks decide to hit the road.

On the East Coast I-95 will be packed too, especially as is goes through MANY sizable populated areas. The area south of Tampa has no choice but to join the rat race North on I-75 and likely hit that traffic wall at Tampa as they try to join I-4 or continue on I-75 - exactly where the hurricane is currently projected to cross the Florida peninsula.

This is a tough situation. If you haven't started evacuating yet, you may not have any other choice than to ride it out, which might be ok if you're on the very edges of the projected path. Just remember that hurricanes can generate tornadoes too.

As for the leave-it-covered or remove-the-cover question, I must agree with those who recommend removing it. At the very least the wind will tear it to pieces because you just won't be able to cinch it down tight enough to keep the wind out from underneath it. Any remaining straps and or buckles will beat the sides unmercifully and likely damage them.

Yes, a cover might take the brunt of some flying debris, but only the very small soft stuff like leaves. Most of the debris will larger hard stuff that will easily penetrate the cover anyway, so there is virtually nothing to be gained by leaving the cover on. Take it off and at least save the expense of having to replace it too.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #11
Veteran RV Owner

We live in the Tampa area. The wife and I discussed evacuating in the coach towing the toad. Doable.....however, the projected path of Dorian has it coming just on the east coast of Florida and then turning north. Tampa would always be on the west side of the storm and spared the worst of the storm. We could go south, and be trapped if the storm moved further south. Best option for us right now is to stay put! Gas is getting harder to find, the highways are turning into slow moving parking lots.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
Site Team

I saw today that GasBuddy has a feature that shows whether a station has or doesn’t have gas.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Can't disagree with your logic. Best of luck to you!