Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

How to keep rodents away...

We park our coach in an open storage lot for $80 a month. We had a friend offer us free parking at their house because they have a large property. The only reason we have not parked there yet is because of rodents seen all over the lot. They are gophers or prairie dogs and they can be seen running from hole to hole. We have seen up to six at a time running all over the dirt lot.

Is there a sure-fire way to park there and keep the rodents away from the coach? The tires would be the only thing touching the ground, but we have heard so many horror stories about rodents chewing up the coach wiring. While the parking would be free, are we asking for trouble? Joe
Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Is there a sure-fire way to park there and keep the rodents away from the coach?
Joe, Critters seem to be put off by moth balls. This deterrent isn't expensive and I'd give it a shot.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Well let me assure you; gophers for sure and I'll bet prairie dogs will not take up residence in your rv. I have gophers out the kazoo and never a problem, now squrirels and rats are another story.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I use a product called Critter Out every 2 weeks. Spray it under the coach, engine compartment, & wheel wells. Also hang moth balls in cheesecloth around the engine compartment.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Laundry softner sheets work also
Old 06-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I go with the moth balls and dryer sheets.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Dryer sheets don't work. I tried them. The mice used them in their nest.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Another vote for moth balls -- been using them for 15 years and have not had a problem with the little varmints. Also cheap
Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Moth ball locations...

DriVer, John H, ChiefJohn:

Where do each of you put moth balls besides the engine compartment? Joe
Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Critter Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
I use a product called Critter Out every 2 weeks. Spray it under the coach, engine compartment, & wheel wells. Also hang moth balls in cheesecloth around the engine compartment.
Where can I buy Critter Out? Joe
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
DriVer, John H, ChiefJohn:

Where do each of you put moth balls besides the engine compartment? Joe
Joe,
I spread them around the underside of the MH, especially around the tires -- again, cheap and easily replaced when they deteriorate due to weather.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
DriVer, Where do each of you put moth balls besides the engine compartment?
Joe, I put them around the tires. That's where they are likely to try to enter the coach.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have put a container of moth balls in my WH and refer compartments for several years. Even with them there, I had a WH flashback that burned my wiring badly and the cause was a burner tube totally blocked by a spider web ...guess they didn't work there. When I have the Norcold recall done on my refer I asked them about using mothballs to repel bug critters ...they pointed out that mothballs are basically Naptha, and suggested I might not want to put such a flammable item in a compartment with an LP flame....
Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I for one, found out about critter's doing damage. squirrels or something chewed into
8th cylinder fuel injector wire harness. Check engine lite came on as we left HHI,SC.
Drove to Larry's Auto Clinic in Myrtle Beach, SC where mech found problem and fixed
it. I will definitely try moth balls!! thanks for advice. rmwaggy
rmwaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #15
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Critter out is found on line and at True Value Hardware stores in the Jersey area, put moth balls in the side boxes and block off access holes that run up from the side boxes with wires and lines so the moth ball odor doesn't get into your interior. Also it helps if you do not let your coach sit unattended for long periods take it out for excercise at least every 2 weeks.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have tried moth balls. If there are mice it doesn't work.

I use mouse poison cubes. They are advertised as one bite. I put them in a small opening jar. I put them in the cargo bays, and at each wheel well. That has worked best. I have a lot of mice in the country from corn fields. I can tell you if there are mice the moth balls will not work. I sometimes think that people that use them do not have any mice around to start with.

I have cats inside the MH, and I can tell when there are mice in there as they start watching and listening.

I have also used baited mouse traps. I glue cat chow on the bait place. I use the Victor traps with the big yellow bait holder. I can even place a box up against a wall with no bait, and when they run buy they step on the bait holder which is empty, and snap.

I have caught as many as 44 mice in a 6 week period camping in the UP of Michigan. I open an out box in a closet and 3 mice heads poked out. I only had traps at the time, but I sure stopped them. The 1st day as fast as I could set the traps I would have one. Wife was not a happy one.

Good Luck.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote