Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Site Team

How to hookup RhinoFlex sewerhose to exterior service center

The RhinoFlex is a great system that makes a messy job a little less messy. However, Winnebago has the service center designed to fit the hose through the bottom of the RV. However, the hose fittings on the RhinoFlex, and probably all other systems, will not fit through it. To take the fittings off and reattach them after you put the hose through seems like a crazy way to do this. Am I missing something or did Winnebago under design this?
Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1479272386.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	24168  
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The Rhinoflex fittings are slightly larger than some others but not by much. If they won't fit then you will probably have trouble with other premium-grade fittings as well, and yes, I'd say that Winnebago made the hole too small. Perhaps there is a reasonably easy way of enlarging it?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I agree that Winnebago should up the size a bit. I don't have a Winni or even a hookup center, but my house wouldn't fit in the storage tube I purchased until I dremelled down the little tabs a bit.
Hope this helps a bit
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #4

I may have to try the dremmel tool too. It does not fit in the "hose container" but does have covers for both ends and we rinse well before putting it away.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My service center is similar to yours and my problem involves trying to get clear bayonet attachments into the line and still get the slinky hose through the hole. The other problem is once you get the hose through the hole my Coach sits so low that it is impossible to get the hose onto a "slinky" to insure proper drainage.

I gave-up trying to solve the problem and just ignore the whole thing. I insert several clear sections to insure I am getting a proper & clean black water flush and run the hose straight out the cabinet. My cabinet door doesn't fit flush but really who cares!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes, so far I have not used the hole at the bottom of the compartment, and instead just open the door and run the hose out from there. Because I want to keep the compartment closed and locked all of the time, I have to attach the hose every time I flush the tanks. I will see if I can drummer the tabs down enough so they fit. I appreciate the idea. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a 06 Surf Side with the same problem, plus the fresh water connection is in the same bay. Not sure if National thought running a fresh water hose and a sewer hose out the same hole was a great idea, but I didn't. To solve that part of the problem I simply installed an electrical cord hole for the FW hose.
As far as the slinky - I bought a compartment hose which has fittings that will go through the outlet. I then attach the Rhino to that. I also slimmed down the Rhino fittings so that I can get them through the factory hole if need be.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The hole is definitely too small for the RhinoFlex. I have to unscrew the hose from the fitting each time, or if it is a one night stand, I just leave the door open.

I am a firm believer that the manufacturers have made a huge mistake in putting the sewer and water in the same compartment. Too much of a chance of cross contamination. I keep a sprayer filled with a chlorine solution to spray down the fresh water fittings each time I hook up.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I went with the Valterra Viper hose which connects to the outlet on our Tour AD coach and fits through the hose opening in the bottom. Fits well and seems to last.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Well gang,
Apparently Itasca must have thought of this when designing the waste/water compartment. In case you're not aware of how they did it, there is a "trap" door with little red flip levers that hold the trap door shut while in transit. When it comes time to hook up my Rhino flex, I move the little levers and the trap door falls open. Now, that trap door, is not completely round, it's sort of 1/2 round and, it also has part of the compartment seal on it too.

Once that little door is open, (it simply falls down but, is attached at a hinge) and the Rhino flex is slipped into position, after hooking up to the twist-lock on the dump outlet, and then the compartment door is closed.

But, since you folks apparently do not have that convenience built in, here's maybe what I'd do if I had your problem. I'd enlarge the hole with a dremel or even an "air saw" from Harbor Freight, and then I'd slit a piece of tubing and put it on the circumference of the hole, as a grommet. Then, I'd make a plate, that was hinged on one side and had some sort of "catch" on the other.

Now, when it comes time to hook up, I'd pull the hose out of the way, slide that plate (rotate it) and thus opening the large hole and, stick your Rhino Flex right through that hole. Then your compartment door can still be closed. Just an idea.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I keep a sprayer filled with a chlorine solution to spray down the fresh water fittings each time I hook up.
According to the WA Health Dept. the bleach solution must be mixed and used within 24 hours or it looses it's effectiveness. Restaurants here are required to mix it daily and throw away what they don't use. I use full strength hydrogen peroxide since it kills germs and doesn't go bad.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I was reading and thought the same thing about the bleach water. I use a sanitizer arosal that you can buy at GFS or Costco Sams club will have it also. I of course also use gloves and keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in the compartment. Typing this I sound like a germ a phobe but really just being safe. My grandkids love to follow me and help grandpa so i am careful. I'm going to search some of the RV parts web sites. These opening in the bottom of the compartment would be easy to cut and replace the opening with a larger one. A easy fix i would think.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Check out a newer Winnebago 2005+. Maybe you can get the parts and install that door. It works great!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Site Team

Haha....I have a 2013,....but it works differently than that.
Sounds like I need to either:
1) find a sewer hose that fits
2) modify my RhinoFlex to fit the opening
3) modify the opening to fit the sewer hose
4) some combination of the above
Thanks for the suggestions!
I will post again with the results.
Al
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Can you make a stub hose and leave it in place? That way, you would be able to connect the regular sewer hose to the stub hose with no issues.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

What a silly design.

I too have an Itasca with the trap door and thought all Winnie products were like that. Wonder what they were thinking?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Haha....I have a 2013,....but it works differently than that.
Sounds like I need to either:
1) find a sewer hose that fits
2) modify my RhinoFlex to fit the opening
3) modify the opening to fit the sewer hose
4) some combination of the above
Thanks for the suggestions!
I will post again with the results.
Al
I would strongly suggest you find a sewer hose fitting that will fit through the opening rather than attempt to modify the compartment. If you look closely at the bottom of the compartment and the door covering the port you'll notice both have rolled edges around the openings. This is what provides the strength and stability. If you cut into this portion or remove it the floor of the compartment and the door will become flexible and eventually crack or break.

There are a number of hose fitting combinations that will fit through the hole. Over the years we've used several different brands of hoses and fittings. We currently use the Dominator system. The fitting has to be tilted so one of the attaching hooks slips through the small portion of the opening. When you get the right angle it slips through easily.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Site Team

Thanks. I'll check out the viper and dominator systems. I appreciate the suggestions!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Kunysz513 has an easy answer ...when I started using a Rhino I built a short hose with fittings that will go through the hole, and I normally just leave it connected with a cap on theopen end. When it comes time to hookup, I extend the short hose through the hole and connect the Rhino.

Another solution is to buy the Rhino hose w/o fittings and put Valtera red screw on fittings on the hose.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
Site Team

Thanks....I might try that first as I hate to throw away a practically new RhinoFlex.