Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
NXR
Winnebago Owner

How to handle two months of winter weather?

We're looking at purchasing a Class A and we live in northern Ohio. We're allowed to keep a motorhome up to 40' in our driveway between April 15 and Oct. 31. Those temps are almost always above freezing so I'm not concerned about this time period.

We're planning to head south after January 1st or so, which means we'll need to deal with two months of weather with days below freezing. We'd come back in April.

I've shopped around for indoor RV storage for two months but I'm not finding anything so it will need to be stored outside somewhere. I'm guessing that I'm going to need to pay for a full winterization in late October, drive it to the south in January and then deal with the de-winterization and water system sterilization once we get there.

Does that sound correct? Would I be able to fill the water tank when we leave for toilet use while driving south?
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

As long as you keep the coach heated after you partially fill the water tank you should be okay.

An alternative plan would be to drive it south at the end of October and put it storage in the south and fly back.

When it is storage, keep the batteries charged up.

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the amish frame a 14' high 28' wide 44' long pole garage for 13k. I did the rest, wire insulation etc as money allowed. I live in Erie pa. Best investment I could have done for my 2000 winnebago journey36l... [Moderator Edit]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171102_123500.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	651.2 KB
ID:	171670  
Dibbsvtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Nice. 1,232 sq. ft. actually is precisely what the country auditor says my entire house is. I hope your garage was a little less expensive.

Dwelling Information
Attic - None
Attic Area - 0
Second Floor Area - 0
Upper Floor Area - 0
First Floor Area - 1232
Old 06-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A related question-
How do you deal with using (dry camping) your class A in freezing weather? I'm considering using it in the driveway during local winter power outages, commonly 1 to 3 days.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
NXR
Winnebago Owner

That depends on the RV's capabilities.

Mine has an "arctic kit" which has thermostatically controlled electric heaters on each tank that turn on at 44 degrees, including "elbow" heaters in the wet bay. All of the exterior access doors to the plumbing have plastic walls with about 4" access holes to get to the valves, which actually is inconvenient at times. It also has an electric fireplace that can generate a lot of heat but I've never tried it close to freezing. I also added dual pane windows to reduce condensation and noise so those should help a bit.

The Onan 5500 burns about one gallon of gas per hour under full load. The generator will only run until the fuel level gets down to 1/4 and then it shuts off. So if my 80 gallon tank is full, I could have two to maybe three days of generator. The propane furnace should help gain some time. If it works since I rarely use it except to see if it still works.

If it's really cold and windy then building a "skirt" to enclose the bottom of the RV is supposed to help a lot. You could build it out of cardboard, wood or similar in a pinch. Or even snow. A "permanent" one can be attached to snaps for easy installation.

HTH,

Ray

Tags
winter