Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Last week I paid $20 to have Camping World in Tallahassee, FL put 90 lbs into all my tires. When I checked today, I find that the front left tire has 105 lbs and the front right tire has 60 lbs. I believe that they charged me for a service they did not provide. I should have checked before I left. But I did not.

Since I now am in Santa Fe, NM I cannot go back to the store. Can you suggest a way that I can voice my displeasure about this treatment?

arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Last week I paid $20 to have Camping World in Tallahassee, FL put 90 lbs into all my tires. When I checked today, I find that the front left tire has 105 lbs and the front right tire has 60 lbs. I believe that they charged me for a service they did not provide. I should have checked before I left. But I did not.

Since I now am in Santa Fe, NM I cannot go back to the store. Can you suggest a way that I can voice my displeasure about this treatment?

arne

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I would go the main site and look up the location. You can either call them (numbers are posted) or send them a letter (addresses are also available.

Make to the attention the General Manager (don't mess with anyone else) and hope they get your message loud and clear....
Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I had some repairs schedules a few months ago that turned out to be a partial recall of some Hydraulic hoses. Camping world service guy gave me bad vibes from the minute I dropped it off. he was complaining of how they can't get parts and so on. Well after 3 weeks I wrote a scathing letter to their corporate Hq, got a response within a few hours and 2 days later the job got done. Magic? I wonder. Basically I wrote that Camping World has been buying up dealerships all over the country but seem to have no clout with the industry in general if they can't get parts. I must have struck a nerve. A few years back, I got a raw deal from a repair guy on a flat tire and had Camping World road service. They reimbursed me the cost of the fix. It doesn't hurt to be heard. E mail and discussion groups are wonderful things.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

In addition to making sure Camping World knows about the poor service, you need to be in the habit of checking your tire pressures before you hit the road every day. While on the road, I check mine for irregular temps with an infrared thermometer every time we stop for any reason.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Submit your comments on this form and let us know if they reply or even care.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The number for complaints at corp head quarters is1-800-626-6189, and the bus office is 1-800-626-5944.
Don, 70041
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Arne, Since you put 1500 miles on wheels since Tallahassi, before you write to CW....

Have you checked to see if that low tire is still holding air ok? You may have a leak in the rubber or a valve stem that doesn't want to seal good. Just a thought...
Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

$20 to air up your tires??? Outrageous! They ought to do it free, as a courtesy. I'm glad I carry my own compressor.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I certainly will be more diligent in checking the tires from now on. Unfortunately my little compressor is unable to provide 90 lbs in a reasonable time frame.

I have sent the message below to Camping World. I will post their answer when/if it is received.

Arne

-----------------------------

Re: Service paid for but not provided.
On May 2, 2008 I was at the Camping World in Tallahassee, FL for an oil change. Here I was charged $19.95 extra for your mechanics to ensure that the rig had 90 lbs in all its six tires. I now find that this was not done. The left front tire has a pressure of 105 lbs, and the right front tire has 60 lbs. This has subjected me to a serious safety hazard and significantly unwarranted wear and tear on my tires.

I expect that you will stand behind your failure to perform a safety related procedure for which you charged a considerable amount.

I am posting a copy of this e-mail on the IRV2.com web site. I will also post your response.

Respectfully

Arne Thesen

Old 05-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Before you complain too loudly for service not rendered make sure you don't have a slow leak in your tire or valve stem.

How did your tire get down to 60 lbs in the first place. I doubt seriously you could travel all the way from Tallahassee FLA to Sante Fe NM with a tire at 60 psi.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The service I requested from Camping World was 90 lbs in all tires. The four rear tires are now at 105 lbs, the left front is slightly over 100, and the right front is at 60 lbs. They were all at or below 90 when I parked the rig last fall. Hence I feel it is appropriate to claim that the service I paid for (90lbs) was not delivered.

I certainly regret not checking the pressure right away. What made me finally do so was the very rough ride we experienced. (Similar to the ride when I first picked the rig up from the dealer).

As for a slow leak, that may very well be the case. However the pressure is not changing at this time. Time will tell.

Finally I agree that $20 to check air pressure is outrageous. However I agreed to pay that before they started the work, so that is not an issue.

arne
Still in Santa Fe