Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smile How to deal with the locked out coach issue

Have you or the DW ever been locked out of your RV? I know, I know somebody is going to have some smart comment about how that might be a good thing with respect to the DW. Well, not for me. I have the greatest wife in the world and we have been married for over 55 years so, for me either one of us being locked out is a no go issue.

Here's how I solved the problem. I bought, for about $25.00 a little key locker that I securley attached it to the outside of our motor right beside the entrance door. The locker has a combination [3 numbers changeable] lock system, is white in color [matches our RV color], is very strong and is nice looking.

Now if the DW and I are away from the coach and return seperatly without a key, we can just punch in the key locker code, open the box and we are in. Same goes for locking the door with the keys inside or lossing the keys. Very easy to do.

We have used the locker many times and think it is handy enough to be a consideration for all our fellow RV'ers.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just wondering where you bought the "Key Locker" at?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Any pictures? Waterproof?
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
Have you or the DW ever been locked out of your RV? I know, I know somebody is going to have some smart ass comment about how that might be a good thing with respect to the DW. Well, not for me. I have the greatest wife in the world and we have been married for over 55 years so, for me either one of us being locked out is a no go issue.

Here's how I solved the problem. I bought, for about $25.00 a little key locker that I securley attached it to the outside of our motor right beside the entrance door. The locker has a combination [3 numbers changeable] lock system, is white in color [matches our RV color], is very strong and is nice looking.

Now if the DW and I are away from the coach and return seperatly without a key, we can just punch in the key locker code, open the box and we are in. Same goes for locking the door with the keys inside or lossing the keys. Very easy to do.

We have used the locker many times and think it is handy enough to be a consideration for all our fellow RV'ers.

Pine Tree
A possible location for such a locker would be inside the door to the propane tank. By law, that cannot be lockable anyway, so perhaps it could be mounted there to be more inconspicuous?

BTW, I have a similar type of item inside the garage to my brick and mortar house (like the ones the real estate agents put on houses that are for sale). Won't believe how many times I have used this to get back in when I lock myself out of the house by accident.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Pine Tree,

Been there, done that! One evening taking the puppy outside I was in my Jammys and when I tried to get back in the door was locked. On the '08 winnie, the door handle latch is a push down to latch, up to unlatch. It is real close to the door handle, and my big fingers accidentally pushed it down. I was very fortunate in the fact that DW was inside. I knocked, she opened, and she asked, "Why did you lock the door?" Women!

From that time on I make sure she is in the coach, or that I have keys in my pocket. However, I already had a "Lock Box" and I had a set of keys made. My lock box is in my propane compartment which cannot be locked. I now have piece of mind.

Thanks for the post.

Hee hee! I post about the same time Jaime and Dave did.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Looks like a great idea Pine Tree. After locking ourselves out and having to push... er, help our 4 year old grandson through a small open window I got a hide a key thing and stashed a spare key to the entry door. Can't start the engine with it but if I'm locked out it gets me back inside.... now if I can just remember where I hid that darned thing.

Thanks for sharing the tip.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
Just wondering where you bought the "Key Locker" at?
I got one at Lowes. It's weatherproof and located in the propane compartment.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We got one of those hide-a-key thingies and have hidden it in a good spot. It's saved us once already when our niece was over and she accidently locked the RV with everyone outside.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I bought my combination lock hide-a-key at a local lock and key shop. Here is a link to the one I bought: » Keyless Lock Box (Hide A Key)

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a key locker, also called a Realtor's box, installed in my rig,, I won't say where.

If the problem is idiot me left keys inside, it's great,, All I have to do is recall which of several combinations I used on it.

Of course,, when it happened.... it was a broken striker bolt and that was a horse of another shade as they say.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
KIX
Winnebago Master

The hidden key or key lock box is a great idea and I have one too. But, when the door won't open because of a latch/lock mechanism failure that key won't help. You just have to go in a window. If you have tinted windows it's very difficult without very close inspection (or trying the window) to determine that the window has been left unlocked. For those of you that have to store in a remote storage yard leaving a window unlocked could be a problem. When the door opening mechanism fails you will wish you had left a window unlocked. We've been leaving one unlocked for about 6 years with no problems.....but, we may just be lucky.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #12

When we had the TT and truck we stopped on the way out of a camp ground to dump the last garbage. I left the truck running in park and the wife got out to dump the garbage and I got out to do a finale check of the hitch and THE IDIOT YORKIE LOCKED THE TRUCK DOORS. Panic time, then I remebered I had read on another forum to keep a spare set of truck keys in the TT and a spare set of TT keys in the truck and a set for both in my pocket. I was so glad I followed that advice. I used the TT keys in my pocket to unlock the TT and get the spare truck keys and unlocked the truck. I now carry a spare set of MH keys in the toad and a spare set of toad keys in the MH and a set for both in my pocket.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
The hidden key or key lock box is a great idea and I have one too. But, when the door won't open because of a latch/lock mechanism failure that key won't help. You just have to go in a window. If you have tinted windows it's very difficult without very close inspection (or trying the window) to determine that the window has been left unlocked. For those of you that have to store in a remote storage yard leaving a window unlocked could be a problem. When the door opening mechanism fails you will wish you had left a window unlocked. We've been leaving one unlocked for about 6 years with no problems.....but, we may just be lucky.

Kix funny you wrote that, I now leave a window unlocked too.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/locked-inside-80777.html
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
Have you or the DW ever been locked out of your RV?
Pine Tree
I travel solo, but found a great place to hide a key outside the trailer. I also keep extra sets in the truck and a set around my neck with a whistle. If you knew me, you would know that this doesn't mean I will never lock myself out.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Pine Tree,

Been there, done that! One evening taking the puppy outside I was in my Jammys and when I tried to get back in the door was locked. On the '08 winnie, the door handle latch is a push down to latch, up to unlatch. It is real close to the door handle, and my big fingers accidentally pushed it down. I was very fortunate in the fact that DW was inside. I knocked, she opened, and she asked, "Why did you lock the door?" Women!

From that time on I make sure she is in the coach, or that I have keys in my pocket. However, I already had a "Lock Box" and I had a set of keys made. My lock box is in my propane compartment which cannot be locked. I now have piece of mind.

Thanks for the post.

Hee hee! I post about the same time Jaime and Dave did.
You post some of the funniest stuff!! I just love your sense of humor!! It's a welcome relief in the midst of trolls and naysayers!! Thanks for the smile!!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

A funny story about a friend who locked himself out of his running RV while he was setting up. Of course he did not have a spare set of keys to get back in so we got out tools to try to pry the door open or as a last resort break a window to get in. None of that worked so before we broke a window I thought to try the key to my rig in his door. He had an Itasca and I had a Coachmen so there was little hope but lo and behold with a little jiggling and finesse the key worked! Guess most RV manufacturers use the same vendor for lock sets and there are just so many key patterns!
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I know of someone who has a small nail behind the refrigerator grill with a copy of the key hanging from it. I couldn't say who that is...
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Good discussion. This has been a concern as I have been doing my best to make our teardrop as theft resistant as possible. Youtube is an education in how to break into and steal just about anything and a good example is coupler locks. The vast majority can be broken using a bolt cutter or hammer and chisel or just taking the bolts that hold the coupler on the trailer off and putting on a new on. I settled on a Trailer Cop (fits up inside of the coupler pocket nothing projecting) coming from New Zealand and with use theft resistant bolts.
BUT where to put the keys for your very theft resistant...
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandirector View Post
I know of someone who has a small nail behind the refrigerator grill with a copy of the key hanging from it. I couldn't say who that is...
How did you know that???!!!! I thought it was my best kept secret! I also have a set of my truck keys IN the TRAILER and a set of the trailer keys IN the TRUCK.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Good discussion. This has been a concern as I have been doing my best to make our teardrop as theft resistant as possible. Youtube is an education in how to break into and steal just about anything and a good example is coupler locks. The vast majority can be broken using a bolt cutter or hammer and chisel or just taking the bolts that hold the coupler on the trailer off and putting on a new on. I settled on a Trailer Cop (fits up inside of the coupler pocket nothing projecting) coming from New Zealand and with use theft resistant bolts.
BUT where to put the keys for your very theft resistant...
Personally, I think if someone wants to get in your recreational vehicle badly enough, they will get in. I have my cameras, grab and go bag, and most importantly, my pup with me when I leave. Everything else is covered by insurance. Plus, I think I have an advantage with a 21 foot trailer. Who's going to try to rob me when there are all the beautiful, big, fancy RVs around me?