Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to care for diesel

We've been motorhoming for about 35 years, but now want to purchase a Journey or Meridian 36M. Do you do anything special with a diesel when it is must sitting around for the 4 or 5 months in the winter?
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just follow the instructions provided by CAT and Freightliner. They want to you to change the oil right before storing for the winter (like my boat), if you are on the annual schedule. Also need to remove the engine batteries. Need good antifreeze in the engine. Thats it. Our rig stays covered next to the house all winter from Nov 1 to April 1 each year in upstate NY. Some people try to start the rig up once a month, but I don't think this is a manufacturers requirement.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you are up north you may want to put some Howes or Power service in the fuel so it don't jell up. Just in case you need to move it for some reason. I you are where it never freezes then dont worry about it.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

If its possible tke it out for a spin every 2 weeks for a hour or so. I try to maintain this schedule even when I am not traveling its been working good for me it keeps the systems active and lubricated tires also. Things get funky when they sit for a long time without use.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
If its possible tke it out for a spin every 2 weeks for a hour or so. I try to maintain this schedule even when I am not traveling its been working good for me it keeps the systems active and lubricated tires also. Things get funky when they sit for a long time without use.

Without a doubt, this is the best advice. Get it out and run it. Sometimes it's not that easy due to time constraints and other obsticals but, actually running all your components, including the engine, generator, heater(s), A/C units, water pumps, and anything else that's mechanized is the best thing you can do for ANY coach, not just diesel units. Also, exercise the mirrors, (move them all around, back and forth, up and down etc.) those motors can get locked up if not exercised.

You don't say what year it is. I know it's a 36M but, what year and engine? Many of the Meridians I know of are 36G units. Just wondering.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I take mine for a 30-45 minute "love ride" every 4-6 weeks with generator running about an hour during drive plus startup and shut down time.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

One of my friends gave me several pieces of advice when I first bought a diesel coach.

1) buy your fuel at places that you are sure sells lots of fuel.

2) make sure your air filter is working properly .. diesels need lots of air

3) keep the fuel tank full when you store it

4) read the owner's manual for your engine ... and stick to the service schedule
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Keep driving it! I see you are in the LA area. Spend the summers in the north and the winters in the south. LA should be warm enough that winterization will be minimal. If you have been motorhoming for 35 years you should be retired. If not retire and keep the MH motoring.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

A motor vehicle rule during Michigan winter is "If you can't drive it don't start it" They are not meant to idle.

I keep our motorhome plugged in all winter to keep all the batteries charged. Seems like most winters our generator gets used during an extended local power outage. Last winter Christmas breakfast was in the motorhome.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Only additional advise I would add to those above, is to purchase the fuel you are going to leave in the tank during storage as late in the season as possible. Having run refinery diesel units, we made different blends for different seasons. As anyone who has traveled across northern states will attest. When you pull in to fuel up and there are four different blends all on the same pump.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

A few good points of advice that were already mentioned.....add Power Service additive to your tank before you store it and store it completely full. The more space you take up with diesel fuel, the less space there is for condensation from temperature changes throughout the storage season.
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Keep the batteries and fuel healthy. If you can spin it and get it fuel it will start in the spring even if you don't start it all winter. A block warmer really makes it easy to get I going when you start it in the winter.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

A full tank is important to lessen the 'empty space' for condensation to start...

Also, as mentioned, try to fill up as late in the season as possible...
look for 'Winter blend' which will help with gelling..
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

No need to pull batteries. What a PITA. Just plug a maintainer to them and let it run. I have one of these for my tractor, dump truck, etc. Works great.

BatteryMINDer Battery Charger / Maintainer with Desulfator — 12 Volt 2/4/8 Amp, Model# 12248 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

No need to get winter blend fuel. Just add the white bottle of Power Service per the recommended mix. It contained anti-gel.
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel