Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a question for those with alot of diesel MH experience. DW and I have a 2004 Horizon 40 AD that we are very happy with. Curently we only use it for vacations 6 or 7 times a year but we will be spending 6 months or more traveling in approx. 4 years when we semi retire. I would like to add solar and other upgrades and I originally intended to keep this MH form many years (10-15) but wonder if I am being realistic. Other than wanting to upgrade (which isn't a factor currently as we see no changes to MHs in the future that would cause us to) am I being realistic in keeping and running the Horizon for so long? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am not afraid of normal maintenance as I enjoy doing it myself.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a question for those with alot of diesel MH experience. DW and I have a 2004 Horizon 40 AD that we are very happy with. Curently we only use it for vacations 6 or 7 times a year but we will be spending 6 months or more traveling in approx. 4 years when we semi retire. I would like to add solar and other upgrades and I originally intended to keep this MH form many years (10-15) but wonder if I am being realistic. Other than wanting to upgrade (which isn't a factor currently as we see no changes to MHs in the future that would cause us to) am I being realistic in keeping and running the Horizon for so long? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am not afraid of normal maintenance as I enjoy doing it myself.

Pete
Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

There are many older model MOHO's on the road.
The engine should or could be good for 200,000 miles with proper maintainence. I think this is the key to longevity of MOHO's, MAINTAINENCE.

How long you keep it is up to you, but I bet the newer coach's will appeal to you long before this one wears out. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I agree with the post by Ichn2go -- maintainence is the key. When we bought our 2002 (bought last September), I knew that I would have to upgrade some items, fix others, and just maintain some of the other items. I do a lot of the work myself which I know helps in saving funds. The engine, tranny, etc is out of my league so I leave that to Cummins South. When looking at the problems that are out there with the new coaches, I am pleased with what I have done as none of my problems are as major as it seems that all new coaches have "their bugs." That is not to say that the product is bad -- just that items fail. The older coaches like ours, have been through the "infantile mortality" rate as I call it. We plan on keeping ours for quite a few years more.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

*/I do not have diesel experience. That being said, one problem that may present is that some campgrounds prohibit MHs older than a perscribed limit. I won't begin to justify their position - just thought you might consider it in your long term plans.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have heard about this before but to date have never experienced it. Has anyone seen these restrictions?

Thanks for the replys.

Pete
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

PeteB, I too have heard of these restrictions, mostly at the upscale resorts.
I have not experienced it and I would expect ,except at the above resorts, that it would go more by apperance rather than age.
Also I suspect this rule may apply at 1 out of 20 campgrounds. Good Miles
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I won't be so concerned about age from a campground point of view. Yes, there will be places that don't want units 10 or so years or older... If the unit looks good there will be little question with most parks... If there is, move on.

As long as it is maintained, it should last many many years and miles, but there is a bigger problem I see.

The problem is getting out of the unit. Most banks will not finance a unit older than 10 years, so when you want to sell it, even if it is the BEST one out there, you are going to be limited to selling to a cash buyer or if your lucky to trading it on a new unit. Depending on the value of the unit, that might be a challenge.

That is a concern of ours.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

ICHN2GO,
Saw a license with your handle last weekend at Beth Page campground, was that you?
Regards, Randy
Old 10-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yes, Randy, we were there for the workhorse rally. Wished you had stopped by to say hi.
We only live 40 miles from there but a week at a campground is better than being at home...
Take care and safe miles..
Old 10-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I don't know, but have been told, that using the systems will keep them in shape better than anything else you do. I am sure that this will also require regular maintenance, which will add life to any coach.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

ichn2go, I wished I had stopped by. I was around the park about 100 times in the golf cart with my little dog at my side. We were in our 01 Journey on Sassafras and our other groups were behind us on Cherry. They were admiring your adventurer, very nice.
We are just taking an extended leave to travel the US and will be leaving in a couple of weeks. We live about 2 1/2 hours from Beth Page.
Regards, Randy