Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi
I love to come on to this site and read all about you American RVers.
I lust after your roads, fuel prices and 40' plus RV's.
And then back to reality.
narrow roads
Fuel at $2.20 per litre
The difficulty of using anything over 34'
This is not a downer on the UK, I love it, but it would be fantastic to cruise the highways in a 45'RV
Moan over.
Enjoy what you have there is a lot with less.
Regards
Tel
tel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi
I love to come on to this site and read all about you American RVers.
I lust after your roads, fuel prices and 40' plus RV's.
And then back to reality.
narrow roads
Fuel at $2.20 per litre
The difficulty of using anything over 34'
This is not a downer on the UK, I love it, but it would be fantastic to cruise the highways in a 45'RV
Moan over.
Enjoy what you have there is a lot with less.
Regards
Tel
tel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Tel - Sometimes we forget. Thanks for the reminder!

tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Price in USD Regular/Gallon

Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
South Africa Johannesburg $2.62
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

I think I'll drive down to Venezuela and fill up.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes, thank you for the reminder. Too often we forget to be thankful for sooooo much!

Brenda, of...
Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi Tel - we have driven in Europe and it is a completely different experience. Driving a car was difficult enough, I can't even imagine driving a large RV there.

We have been on a few coach tours in Europe/UK/Scotland and those drivers are amazingly skilled. Once we were on a tour coach and almost at our hotel in Rome - we were turning down the last street and the driver couldn't make the turn due to cars double/triple parked all over the place at the corner (and everywhere else.)

The driver got out and picked up on the bumper of this tiny Italian car and actually moved it out of the way. If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. With that one car out of the way, the turn was completed and all was well.

We just returned from a short trip to the southwestern part of Texas - it was a beautiful thing to travel for hours and not see very many other vehicles. That was highway cruising at its best

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Hi Tel - we have driven in Europe and it is a completely different experience. Driving a car was difficult enough, I can't even imagine driving a large RV there.

We have been on a few coach tours in Europe/UK/Scotland and those drivers are amazingly skilled. Once we were on a tour coach and almost at our hotel in Rome - we were turning down the last street and the driver couldn't make the turn due to cars double/triple parked all over the place at the corner (and everywhere else.)

The driver got out and picked up on the bumper of this tiny Italian car and actually moved it out of the way. If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. With that one car out of the way, the turn was completed and all was well.

We just returned from a short trip to the southwestern part of Texas - it was a beautiful thing to travel for hours and not see very many other vehicles. That was highway cruising at its best </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

A friend of mine who served with the Army Corp of Engineers spent most of his time in the 60's/70's following the Tank Divisons patching up buildings and homes they would nick navigating the roads in Europe. Some tight spaces. Then again take a wrong turn in Saint Augustine, Florida with your rig and see what that can be like. I had the guards at the Armory do a double take when my navigator sent me by their front door. Thankfully I spied a "large as me" fire truck that was not on call and tailed them on a tour of the city and back onto the open roads.

It is interesting in Europe (friends vacation video) to watch a bus driver of slight build get out and bounce a car or multiple cars off the road by hand in a very nonchalaunt manner and then get back into the bus and drive on without really batting an eye.

What was that Bing Crosby song... "Counting My Blessings".