Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I took my new coach in to have a few minor issues resolved. Nothing really big or very labor intensive. Been in over two weeks today. Since I am new to motorcoaches, I was wondering when I should complain. I knew going in it would never be a day or two thing, but I did make an appointment, so I figured they were at least "lining" them up, it took over a week just to get it in. Any insights.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I took my new coach in to have a few minor issues resolved. Nothing really big or very labor intensive. Been in over two weeks today. Since I am new to motorcoaches, I was wondering when I should complain. I knew going in it would never be a day or two thing, but I did make an appointment, so I figured they were at least "lining" them up, it took over a week just to get it in. Any insights.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

First off, I'd say that at the two week mark I would be doing a "status update" call with the Sales Manager.

Without details of what you are having done, the rest would be guesswork on my part. Some shops are good, some are not. Did they give you a time estimate? Were parts needed, and if so, were they common things that should be onsite, or special things that could only be ordered from the manufacturer? And is that manufacturer still in business <g>?

Service for MHs can vary greatly. For many areas it's RV-startup-time and the shops are getting busy. I've had things fixed while I waited that I thought would take days, and I've waited a month for a part that I would have thought was simple.

I'd certainly make a polite call, ask the status, time estimate, etc.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I would certainly call and politely ask for a status report. That way the dealer understands that you are keeping track of them.
mpurath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Maybe have a friendly "chat" with the person that sold you the coach since he/she probably extolled the quality and responsiveness of the service dept as a selling point? IMHO, 2 weeks is WAY too long to fix things for a coach at the selling dealer...maybe 2 days.

Maybe mention rvservicereviews.com in the friendly chat?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

When you made the appointment to drop it off you should also have made an appointment to pick it up.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My experience with RV dealer service is squeaky wheel. Man, you've squeak and squeal sometimes or get pushed to back. IMHO, which is worth the price you paid.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well it is at the selling dealer and yes there was one part to order on the awning. I order things all the time on the web and usually get anything I want in 3-4 days. And yes I did the status update call on Friday of last week and was told what had been done and that they were "waiting on a part", and I should be out this week. Did not happen. Look I don't want to pee these guys off, the advisor was very nice and attentive to my issues, but then again there comes a time, I am ready to get rolling again.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I always tell them when I want the Coach back. Twice I pushed for a quick repair and the dealer had the parts over nited. If I don't have plans, I give them as much time as they need. This approach has worked for me so far.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Start pushing for your coach. I found a couple of times as soon as they had my coach on their lot that is right where it stayed until I put the pressure on. In fact I even received phone calls from their sales dept about trading up while it was there. Devious little devils.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

We never leave our coach for service (so far, anyway) - we are always waiting on it so there is a sense of urgency to get our work completed. If it takes more than one day, we overnight at the dealership or a park nearby.

If you don't have the luxury of time, then like others have suggested, you need to be the squeaky wheel. Call the service manager every couple of days and ask for a status.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I think John has the right approach. We almost aways wait for the coach - same day pickup. I always give them a deadline as to when I have to have it back - usually because I'm going to be back on the road. Since in my case the dealer is local, if I do leave it I will drive over and check with them almost daily. Last problem I had I finally went to the service manager to resolve a part not ordered in a timely fashion problem - it was overnighted and we were back on the road quickly after that.

Always keep working with them to get you out quickly.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmation
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Be nice but firm...call the manager and tell him (not ask) you expect to pick your coach up in 2 days as you have a very important trip to make.

2 weeks for minor repairs is rediculos (unless they're odering parts, then they have an excuse.

Squeak, squeak squeak....... GREASE!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Call the dealer and tell him you finally sold your home and you'll now be living in your coach full time. You'll be over tomorrow.

-Tom
Old 05-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I talked to a young lady today who is in the service department. She gave the normal excuse of late arriving parts......that's ok, she was very cordial. I told her I was on the verge of being impatient and wanted to know Monday when my coach would be ready. She told me the service manager would call me by 9 am Monday. So far they have called when they said they will. I am going to insist that my coach be ready by Thursday for a planned trip, no later. The problematic thing for me is that these folks are so darn nice it is hard for me to get into the "jump their bones" mode. That is not my nature. Hopefully it will be out by my deadline and I can roll, that new Cummins needs to breath.............
Old 05-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Winnebago will overnight parts to the dealer at no cost to you if you're under warranty and you are using the coach. Part of your TripSaver emergency warranty parts shipments. Of course you have to be on a trip. But isn't a trip to the dealer a trip?? Only you could determine that.

I used this once for a 5.7 Shurflo water pump but had to bring it to the service department's attention.

Committed to Service:

We back our motor homes with the best service after the sale in the industry.

"¢ TripSaver emergency warranty parts shipments

-Tom
Old 05-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Higgins:
I talked to a young lady today who is in the service department. She gave the normal excuse of late arriving parts......that's ok, she was very cordial. I told her I was on the verge of being impatient and wanted to know Monday when my coach would be ready. She told me the service manager would call me by 9 am Monday. So far they have called when they said they will. I am going to insist that my coach be ready by Thursday for a planned trip, no later. The problematic thing for me is that these folks are so darn nice it is hard for me to get into the "jump their bones" mode. That is not my nature. Hopefully it will be out by my deadline and I can roll, that new Cummins needs to breath............. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe and this is only my opinion that you are being taken advantage of because of your good nature. Most likely what is happening here is that other more aggressive people who are not as nice as you are getting their work done before you because the dealership thinks you are not in a rush for you motorhome.

Waiting on parts?? How are they getting them shipped, pony express? I could see if it is a new part that winny does not have a lot in stock and has to manufacture but on a rush order things can be done quickly. On the other hand maybe the parts were ordered when winnebago shut down for the week last week, that in itself was an uncontrollable delay that the dealership had to deal with.

I hope you get your coach back soon. I suggest that when you go to pick up your coach don't be in a rush and check all the repairs sufficiently.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Yeah, Tom, I gottcha, I hear ya. There is a recall on the large slide on the 08 Destination that is apparently giving them problems in executing the orders from the Winne engineers. So it goes with buying a new model design. If it does not get done this week I will go to Winne and tell them to fly someone down to show them how to do it. I just don't want to be an jerk about it. I understand that these techs at my dealer may be over their heads.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I posted a response to this and accidentally used a word that has to be moderated before my post would be allowed, it was the word for a Mule, known as a Jack........I apologize and hope they will let my response come through.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
jfb
Winnebago Camper

We live in our MH so are always careful to give plenty of time for the service department to obtain necessary parts, set appointments and to get a committment for delivery. Murphy's law got us once, though. Service department took everything apart before they discovered the wrong radiator hoses were received. They got on the ball and had the proper hoses delivered overnite from San Fransisco to the WA coast. We spent the night in the coach in the shop....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote