Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Unless I happen to be in a BIG HURRY, I try to keep it at about 57 MPH. Best fuel milage and I don't have to listen to my Radar Detector chirping at me.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Also check your toad's manual There are recommended speeds you should not exceed depending on vehicle. I won't exceed 65 well towing but usually get my best MPG aroung 60 MPH and I'm still breaking it in with only 5,800 miles on the clock I get around 7.5 MPG.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the rest. I cruise a 58-60mph. that is where my MH seem to hit its sweet spot and best mileage and feels comfortable. I usually average about 8-9mpg nothing in tow and about 1mpg less with a jeep Liberty in tow. I just traded the Jeep for a Chevy Silverado 1500. This might be different with the extra weight back there.

rini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #24

On 8 Motorhomes. This one being a Cat 330. Freightliner Chassic DP; At 58 MPH. Tach, sets at 1700 The fuel Mileage Is 10 MPG. And I round that Off to .50 cts. Per mile; I use $5.00 PG. I'm happy.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum!

Like many have already said, I drive in the 63 to 66 mph range 99% of the time. I get my best MPG and the stress level is way down. Gives us a chance to watch the countryside go by through that big IMAX windshield.

I do like to get a run at steep climbs and might nudge it over 70 a tad when approaching them. It doesn't happen often, but every now and then I'll get passed by a big DP flying along at 85 mph and just have to shake my head. My guess is often times they are new rigs being delivered to a dealer.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Let me ask you a question? You are on vacation what is the rush? I still work for a living and I used to have race cars(Northeast Dirt Modifieds). Those days are over.When I had my 5er I used to get up at 4am to hit the road.Not any more. I have a 2010 Journey. We leave the night before and sleep on the road. When you are self contained the highway is at you feet.Take it easy,life is too short. 60mph is all I go. Enjoy everybody!!!
suncruisers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

We usually keep to the truck speed limits. Our rig seems comfortable in the 60 - 65 mph range and gas mileage drops significantly if we try to go faster. A big rectangular box isn't the most aerodynamically efficient shape!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo View Post
We have a brand new Itasca Sunstar 35F. Previously we had a 5th wheel with ST tires that were speed rated at 65 mph. I never exceeded 62. Our new MH has 235/80 22.5 Michelin XRV tires. I cannot find a speed rating for these tires on the Michelin RV tire website. While I have no intention of driving faster than 65 with no toad I am curious as to how fast is safe on these tires.
In California, it's real easy: when you are towing anything, the maximum speed limit is 55 mph. With a motorhome, the maximum speed is based on a passenger vehicle, which at highway/freeway speeds might be 55 mph, 65 mph or 70 mph on roads such as I-5. (Except if you are towing with the motorhome.) On I-5, I usually drive 65 mph as anything over that and I figure that whatever time I gain I'll lose in having to stop sooner for fuel and taking on the few extra gallons I burned going more than 65 mph. I feel that if I need to be in a hurry, maybe I shouldn't be driving the motorhome. Reminds me of the movie 'The Long, Long Trailer' with Ricky and Lucy, where the guy is shouting "40 feet of train... trailer brakes... TRAILER BRAKES!" Get a motorhome up to 70 or 75 mph and you need a lot of real estate to get it slowed down.

California is kind of weird in treating motorhomes as a passenger vehicle and allowing higher speeds than when pulling a trailer or fifth-wheel, yet a motorhome is not allowed in the HOV / diamond lane and depending on total lanes available, cannot drive in the far left-hand lane of a three or four lane highway. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote