Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #1

Class A gas MH's typically have a 75 gallon fuel tank... how many miles will you typically drive before you want to fuel up? Just wondering what most use as a fuel range on a regular basis...

I'm not comparing when you know the next refueling area is too far to reach, so you have to refuel early, looking for what people like as a fuel range, assuming that the next fuel stop is easily obtainable...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #2

Class A gas MH's typically have a 75 gallon fuel tank... how many miles will you typically drive before you want to fuel up? Just wondering what most use as a fuel range on a regular basis...

I'm not comparing when you know the next refueling area is too far to reach, so you have to refuel early, looking for what people like as a fuel range, assuming that the next fuel stop is easily obtainable...
Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

As I only can tow my CRV for three hours before going through the pre-tow procedure again, I gas up at every other stop. That's usually at about a third- to half-tank.

Also, as I travel solo, 3 hrs is about the range of my bladder (TOO MUCH INFORMATION! TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!) LOL
rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
It depends on where I am driving. If I know there are stations on the road I will push it a bit. I to tow a CRV but I usually run at a rest stop when I take the potty stop. Normally I run to 3/8's to a 1/4 before I start looking.

Example - I filled in Taylor, TX (east of Austin) and filled at the first service center on the Kansas turnpike. 516 miles, slightly below a 1/4 tank and the low fuel just came on.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I can go from Carneys Point NJ to Latta SC flying J on a single tank of fuel, with an over night stop and some generator use. I'll be on E for sure. Hope I don't hit any traffic jams on the way. I'll shop for a good price and fill up at a bargan anytime. If running on unfamiliar roads, I'll be looking at just under 1/2 a tank. I hate that running out of fuel feeling.Oh yea, my generator does keep running below the 1/4 tank level, although it is not supposed to.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I usually start looking at 1/4 tank, so a typical fillup is around 55 gals.

Lou
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

400-450 miles at most, no less than 1/4 tank
Old 07-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I generally fill when I think it will take about $100 to $120 to fill the tank ... (has to do with rebates on credit card that I use for fuel) ... and I try to time my fills so that there is at most one a day
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We don't like to drive long distances each day, prefering to limit ourselves to no more than 300 miles. That way we can get to a destination by approx. 3pm and then can relax and enjoy the rest of the day. I also don't believe in "using fuel to haul fuel" so I have never filled the tank. I start to look for a fuel stop at about 3/8ths and try to not let it get much below 1/4.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Mileage depends on to many factors. My rule of thumb is 1/4 tank or a tic less I fill her back up again. Last fill at 1/4 tank was 505 miles.
But my other rule is 200 miles or 2 pm and I'm done for the day....
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We usually fuel up before checking in the CG (around 3 or 4 pm), maybe 300 to 350 miles. I rather have a full tank at the CG, just in case there is an emergency, I don't have to worry about stoping at a gas station first.

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rivercat:
As I only can tow my CRV for three hours before going through the pre-tow procedure again, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get this information?? I've owned and towed Honda's since 1979 and all my Honda towing directives have stated after running through Honda's transmission procedure you can tow for 8 hours. And that is what I do. My neighbor has a 2007 CRV and he tows for 8 hours.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We carry 125 gallons. Our range depends on the situation to be honest. We have been averaging a bit over 8mpg, so that would give us about a 1000 mile range.

I tend to "Push" when driving long distance, so if we are "Moving" to a new long term spot, we will cover 600 or so a day. Fuel at the end of the day. I don't like to go below 1/4 tank.

One thing we always "Park" with a full tank, not only for emergencies, but also because it reduces condensation in the tank. Not such a big deal on a weekend getaway, but if we know we will be in one spot for more than a couple days we fill before we park.

I sure don't like the big bill that comes with filling this tank, but on the other side it beats the heck out of pulling with the p/u and having to stop every 4 hours for fuel. This way if we need a toilet a rest area, or even a safe on-ramp and we can use the camper's bathroom... safes a TON of time.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

On long trips I fill the tank up every evening before we park for the night. Usually on a normal day I try to cover between 350-400 mi. I have disc problems and that's about my max for comfort before I start hurting.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #15

I just got back from a Sonoma County to Salem, OR and back trip. I can easily go 400+ miles, though I did short-stop it since I didn't know the road or where the fuel stops might be. Also, I was driving at night, and for some reason, I don't like to push the fuel window when it's dark...