Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How angry should I be?

Six weeks ago, I brought my coach to the local Winnebago Dealer/ Service Dept. for what I thought was going to be a few minor issues. These included a faulty battery solenoid, ABS light on, and a rear view camera that cuts out at random. I can usually diagnose and repair most things myself, but I figured I would take advantage of the extended warranty and have the dealership repair it.
The problems were diagnosed and parts were on order, which was already approved by the Extended Warranty company.
Everything seemed to be going along fine until I received a call from the Service Dept to tell me that a tech had opened the entry door during high winds and it struck the coach it was parked next to. While the other coach did not sustain any visible damage, the outer edge of my entry door was bent inward. It would definitely have to go to the body shop for repairs.
While it was upsetting to see the damage to a coach that I meticulously care for, I bit my tongue and trusted that the service dept. will make it right. No big deal, right?
About a week later, while still waiting for repairs, I got another phone call from the service dept. to tell me that my coach was damaged again, but they will make it right. Maybe it is a big deal!
I went to the service lot and discovered that the right rear had been damaged, which consisted of deep scrapes into the fiberglass and the rear basement door had been crumpled. The impact had also caused the paint to crack right to the center of the rear of the coach. This time it is a big deal!
The coach then spent ten days at the body shop for repairs which included replacing the basement door, new paint, and a new raised Suncruiser logo on rear.
The body work was done at an independent shop that specializes in Motor Homes. They did an excellent job and used Sikkens paint. They even consulted with CDI for a perfect match for a difficult color.
I later learned that this damage was a result of backing into a bus using two spotters. Three stooges? I think so!

Back to my original question-

How angry should I be?
vegas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If its fixed to your satisfaction, then it might be hard to yell at anyone. We have our 40' MH stored at a storage yard under cover. We happened by one day and the right side mirror was ripped off and the right corner was scrapped and chipped. I traced it to a 5ver that was parked nearby in the same storage yard. His Left rear of the 5ver was opened up like a can opener-he turned the corner too wide and the 5ver hit the right front of our MH! Talk about Mad! But his ins covered the repair at the body shop. We get the MH home and again after a couple of weeks stop by again, the big 60x30 slider window on the pass slide was shattered. Found inside was a 1/2" glass marble-the only thing we didn't find was the kid with the slingshot. We're still waiting on the replacement window ($2k, but our ins will pay) Mad again!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
two thoughts. first, as long as you're not out-of-pocket and the repairs are complete and done properly...and it sounds like that's the case...there's no point in being angry. but, two...I'd likely not do any further business with that dealer once all of the repairs are complete.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas1 View Post

How angry should I be?
How angry do want to be?

You could consult a lawyer and ask what compensation you could get for not being able to use your MH.

You could also ask for money for the loss of value due to the damage.

I would be interested in knowing how much that would be per day.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would talk to the Service Manager. Some things he likely can approve would be topping off fuel and propane, maybe he can give you some store credit to buy parts and accessories as well. Things like cutting you a check to cover your Extended Warranty deductible likely will require higher approval and may be harder to get.

Can't hurt to ask and negotiate.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would be pretty mad. While it may pass muster, if someone in the future has it inspected pending a sale that damage will show up. I can't believe that with two spotters they still hit something. Talk to the service manager and see what they are willing to do. Then you decide the next step.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'll bet I can guess who the dealer was....
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Life is short! Nobody was hurt, and if repaired properly then you have been made whole. Only thing I would ask for is if the paint work that was repaired has any issues in the future (cracking, spider veining, peeling..etc..) then they will take responsibility. AND GET THAT IN WRITING. Sikkenz is the best so you should be good.

Sorry that happened to your pride and joy, but remember that it can always be worse. Getting upset only ages you.
UncleJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

**UPDATE**

I picked up the coach today and all is well. The body damage was repaired and appears to be a perfect match to the full paint scheme.

The front left speed sensor was replaced and the ABS light no longer comes on. Rear view camera and battery solenoid replaced.

Costs to the Extended Warranty Company was $921.00 Dealership will provide me a copy of the Body shop bill once received, but I'm sure it's in the thousands.

Dealership covered my $100.00 deductible per Extended Warranty, so my final cost was $0.

Thank you to all for providing your insight, now let's go RVing
vegas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

After the first damage was done I would have got my coach and pick it up at the paint shop and been done with this dealer.That is why my coach at my house and the serviced called I drove to dealership. They did not get it all done and I asked if I could stay the night. They backed the coach just out side the garage. Hooked up coach full hook up so the next day got done it done by 5.00 pm. I asked if I could stay another night. This got them to work faster. I cant understand people leaving there coach 6 months on a dealers lot . Just a matter of time before it gets damaged.I am glade you got your coach out of the three stoogs dealerships
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote