Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hot Water Heater 2005 Vectra

Hello, I am new to this site and have never reached out like this before. I have basically inherited the maintenance of father in-law's MH after his passing. He & I worked together on the coach and I thought I knew a lot about it. Wrong! We have used a mobile RV service tech to do some things we couldn't. I recently had him out after I couldn't get the hot water heater to work. He cleaned the connections & adjusted the LP airflow and it worked fine. My wife & I took a 500 mile trip. Before leaving home I put some fresh water in the tank and made sure the hot water tank was filled. I never turned on the hot water tank switches (110 or LP.) When we arrived at the campground the water in the tank was hot. I cannot figure out why there was hot water, not just warm, but really hot when neither switch was on. As large as this site appears to be, I'm sure someone out there has an answer for me. Looking forward to reading the answers.

Thanks
ABNMP
ABNMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Your Vectra has what is called a MotorAid feature… engine coolant is circulated through a heat exchanger that heats the water heater while you drive. Doc states that it takes about 2-3 hours of driving to fully heat the water.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you, I thought the coach may have a feature like that. Due to my father in-laws health the coach hasn't been driven much more than an hour away to Ky Speedway once a year for the last few years, so it wouldn't have had time to heat up by the time we arrived at the track.
ABNMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, here's the 2005 Vectra Brochure, and here's a link that will give you access to the Wiring Diagrams - Motorized. Here's the link for the Parts Catalog - Motorized as well. And, if you go here Service Parts List and enter the last 5 digits of the Winnebago Serial Number you can get a complete as-built parts list for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater