Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hooking to propane tank 2018 sightseer

Ok, I have a 2018 sightseer. I loved the idea of not using the small bottles of propane. I have plumbed from my hookup for my propane tank. I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill. I first plumbed to the attachment point for my one pound bottle. I didn't have enough pressure to get a dull flame. So, I assumed I didn't need the regulator that was between the bottle and the grill. So I plumbed directly to the grill. I only have a flame if the dials are at medium or above. Also, I cannot get above 350 degrees on the grill. What is my problem? With the one pound bottles, my grill gets too hot if both burners are on high.
Scott and T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Your little Coleman is considered to be a high pressure gas grill. The little bottles are high pressure. The high pressure feeds the two dials on your grill that regulate the flow. When connecting to the motor home you must connect between the main big white tank and your rigs pressures regulator. This will feed high pressure to your grill. Do not remove the grill regulator. I am not shure if the "Extend-A-Stay" kit will fit your needs. I did not fit mine. You can see picture of mine in my profile album titles "extend-a-stay.
This might work: https://www.campingworld.com/stay-lo...ne-adapter-kit
Old 07-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Propane right out of a bottle will be well above 10 PSI the higher the temperature the higher the temperature at which part of the contents of the bottle are liquid and part are propane gas.

The low pressure accessory port by the door on your Sightseer is after the coach's regulator. It drops the pressure to 10" water col. which is less than 0.4 PSI

The connection to a gas grill that a 1 lb. or 20 lb. propane bottle normally attaches to is not compatible with the 10" w.c. port. You can get an "extend-a-stay" and put a high pressure accessory port behind the access door for the internal propane tank. Then you can get an high pressure accessory hose that has connects there and has the same connector that is on 1 lb. propane bottles.

That said the cost to do that will total over $ 100 do the math and you will keep buying 1 lb. propane bottles for $ 3 each.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys. Now I have to see if it is worth it to make try to do away with the bottles. Seemed like a goo idea. I probably have spent $50 bucks to try to get it to work. Just wondering if the Volcano grill would be a high pressure grill? Looks like a interesting grill.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Not sure of the new ones, but, last years model had the pressure regulator under the gray cover just to the right of the main manual propane shut off valve, The fitting on the right side of the valve is where you add a supply tee. I did not use mine so maybe I can make you a deal.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have an Extend-A-Stay. I used it once and it didn't seem to work as well as a direct small bottle. I've used it more for its abilities to supplement my main onboard propane tank during cold weather.

I bought a refillable 4.5 lb propane tank to use with my grill and I love it. Very small and stores well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthing...1149/202034835
Old 07-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Kind of a rookie about these forums. I couldn't find any photos from Tuscontoy.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Here is how to see the pictures:
On the left side of this post, clip on my motorhome picture.
Now, on the far right there will be a block that says albums. Click on the bottom where it says , show all albums.
Now look at each one or scroll down to the one that says " extend-a-stay"
In the album you can hit each picture and there is a brief description.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Got it. Now I have to decide if I want to take this on, or put up with the bottles. Also, you are a hell of a lot more handy than this old "scudder".
Old 07-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Also, just curious how much electricity you can produce with your solar panels. What can you power with solar. Surely not your air?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I only have enough roof space for three 100 watt panels. That 300 watts keeps my 300 amp hours of battery storage full. It keeps everything running except the the AC and microwave. It also keeps the battery charged for my new Milwaukee battery powered chainsaw that supplies plenty of firewood for evening enjoyment.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

That said the cost to do that will total over $ 100 do the math and you will keep buying 1 lb. propane bottles for $ 3 each.
Not sure where you shop, but here: https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-Pro.../dp/B06X1C59X1 is a kit, for just $55, that will allow you to hook up your tabletop grille to your RV tank AND also allow you to hook your RV up to an external aux tank for additional LPG. I have been using a similar setup for my portable grille (designed for the small green 1lb bottles) for years; works great, and in fact the grille runs a bit hotter and much more consistent.

If your grille uses a regulator that is part of the controls, then you need to tap into your RV on the high pressure side (before the RV regulator). If your grille uses a regulator at the tank end of it's hose, then you need to tap into your RV on the low pressure side (after the RV regulator).
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Buy a Coleman propane "distribution tree" and a small (3 to 5 lb) refillable propane tank. That way you're not limited to being close to your RV's tank to use your grill and you can hook up lanterns and other appliances to the "tree". Just make sure the small tank is well secured for travel.

https://camp.wonderhowto.com/how-to/...-light-311170/

Since many propane dealers have minimum charges, have the small tank re-filled at the same time you're filling your RV or home BBQ tanks.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have 2014 Sunova ( Sightseer). To hook up to my Weber “Q” needed to remove the regulator. Then I had low pressure to low pressure. Find it hard to believe your grill is high pressure.
ernied7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Your Weber is high pressure. If you remove the regulator, you will have no control. Follow the extend-a-stay instructions or stay with a small bottle.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Any grill that uses small, disposable propane bottles is going to require a high pressure connection.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank, sightseer