Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Higher end gasser vs. entry diesel...

Hi All -

Fell in love with the Sightseer 33c floorplan, which led us to look at it's bigger cousin the Adventurer 37F. I think the 37F might be the one for us.

Was debating a diesel, but we're casual/vacation users, so I think over the long haul, a nice gasser might be better and easier/cheaper to maintain. I'm hoping my assumption here is accurate.

One of the things I'm grappling with is that these new 2011s are pretty expensive, as in entry-diesel territory! Am I missing anything by getting a higher-end new gasser vs. the diesel for the same money?

Also, with the upcoming Hershey show (never been), are bigger discounts usually offered than what I might get on my own -- As in more than 25% off MSRP, but on a new 2011 unit?

Thanks for any experience or feedback you can provide to this (hopefully) new to-be, slightly nervous Class A owner!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You should be able to get 30% off MSRP with a little practice. Even with that discount you will still be behind the depreciation.

Its hard to justify a diesel for just vacation use. RV systems can start to break down with little or no use. I have one so don't expect me to try to talk you out of one.

I think you would be happy with an Adventurer class coach. You might want to look at a low mileage used one to start off with. If you later want to trade up you won't be as far upside down.

There is a sweet spot right now between $60K - $90K in the used market where you can get good value for the money.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I think that you will find that if you compare "apples to apples" the prices between gas and diesel are quite a bit different. If, on the other hand, you are comparing a 37' Adventurer to a Via for example then you are correct about the prices.

Go to this page:
2010 Winnebago Motor Homes
and you will see a list of price ranges for the current Winnebago products - both gas and diesel.

We bought a new Itasca Suncruiser back in the fall of 2006 and the difference between an identical "box" in gas vs diesel was about $40,000. We chose gas on a Workhorse chassis. It has the same Allison transmission as the diesels (which we love) and Workhorse actually advertises in writing that their engine should last over 200,000 miles. This is a lot longer than most people will have their motorhome so the supposed longer life of a diesel is a moot point. I could give additional arguments about why we chose gas over diesel but to answer your specific question I think you would be just fine with the gas.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Own a 2009 Suncruiser (gas) and have never felt the need or urge for anything more powerful. The coach is great and other than a little extra noisy downshifting on hills it has plenty of power, even with a small TOAD.

I like to go about 60mph but the thing will go 80 all day I am sure.
Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There are going to be a few differences between the gasser and a diesel.

The diesel will pull a toad/trailer better. Even the lowest HP diesel has more torque than the gas engines.

Fuel economy is about the same, that is to say, very poor when compared to a car.

Quality of construction will be the same.

Cost of maintenance -on the engine- will be higher for the diesel.

Engine noise on the gasser will be higher, cause it sits right next to you, the diesel will be a pusher.

Both engines will outlast your use.

Given a choice, I'd buy a used Diesel pusher in the 2-3 year old range. Somebody else took the hit on depreciation, worked out all the infant failures and assembly errors. You can easily find a pretty high end used coach of the same $'s as an entry level new one...

It doesn't matter which one you buy, you'll do well, and then you'll find that you want to spend thousands to upgrade all the little things. The list of upgrades does change, but it never gets shorter.

YMMV, IMHO, Etc...just my thoughts.

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
but we're casual/vacation users
My question is how far from retirement. We started with a 99 Used Diesel. Kept it for four years and decided what we wanted different. Then found a "deal" on a new 2009 still on the dealers lot that had most everything on our "wish list." Since we plan to retire in about eight years, we will have the 2009 mostly paid off and will still have a great coach. The 99 we traded was in great shape, though we did do a little renovating to it. In the mean time we are also "casual/vacation users" putting on about 5K a year. Would be more, but work keeps getting in the way of fun.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Great question. We are just shy of 20 years prior to retiring. And our casual use isn't even 5,000 a year (I wish!! You lucky ducks, you! ).

We will most likely not fulltime, but remain vacation users throughout our lives, but you never know. The plan is to buy new and have it mostly paid off around the 8 year old mark. I figured that way, we are in a position to either upgrade, or get the latest-and-greatest new model technology in a like-unit to this one without taking a bath.

I'm wondering about the show deals, though since we plan on going to Hershey. Seems like from what I can read on this and other forums that the best deals are only on the big diesels. I guess we won't know until we actually get there.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum!!! You've gotten some great advice here already and it's been surprisingly objective... sometimes this "gas vs diesel" question can really get people spun up.

Although we full time and own a big diesel, I agree that it is extremely hard to justify for casual recreational use. One thing to really keep in mind when making comparisons in cargo carrying capacity. Some gas coaches are nearly at their GVWR as soon as their tanks are filled for the first time and you don't want to be stuck being constantly over weight.

If you can get by the "new" issue, there are some great deals out there on used coaches that people have got to unload.

IMHO, a high percentage of diesel owners drive them because they "want" them, rather than "need" them.... and I don't mean to imply this is a bad reason to buy diesel...

Best of Luck

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
IMHO, a high percentage of diesel owners drive them because they "want" them, rather than "need" them....
Really, can any of us say we NEED a motor home? I suspect that high double digits, approaching triple digits are in the category of want, not need.

When we talk about need vs. want, its good to keep that in mind.

Do what makes you happy!

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice!! There are so many choices out there, and I hope we get it right when we're ready to pull the trigger.

Still looking, so I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions.

Thanks again!!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We were in the same boat as you a few years back. We looked at the gas and diesel version of our present coach. This was pretty close to apples to apples. We had a long talk with our "salesman" friend. This would be the 4th RV bought through him. We ended up with the gasser since we werent retired yet and would probably get another to retire in, and fulltime.

We are now "seasoned" in the gasser and probably will not go diesel or get another coach after retirement. We have made many long trips with it and it suits our needs just fine.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Gas or diesel, it is a matter of personal choice. Just get the most motor home you can afford and floor plan you like. Don't settle for something you are not completely satisfied with. You will be glad you did in the future.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Yup the floorplan is most important, and watch the CCC of the coach. Ours has almost 3K for stuff.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I would go diesel just for the better ride,brakes and a real exhaust brake. Drive both then decide. Be warned once you drive the diesel I think you will be hooked.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I love the 37F floor plan, wish they had that when we bought ours! Basically the same floor plan we have, just with 1 1/2 baths!

We caravaned with out WIT club last meet, and I had no problems keeping up with the diesels! If you go with the Adventurer or Suncruiser, you're getting the same quality coach as the Journey or Meridian, you're just saving $60K-$80K...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Great question. We are just shy of 20 years prior to retiring. And our casual use isn't even 5,000 a year (I wish!! You lucky ducks, you! ).

We will most likely not fulltime, but remain vacation users throughout our lives, but you never know. The plan is to buy new and have it mostly paid off around the 8 year old mark. I figured that way, we are in a position to either upgrade, or get the latest-and-greatest new model technology in a like-unit to this one without taking a bath.

I'm wondering about the show deals, though since we plan on going to Hershey. Seems like from what I can read on this and other forums that the best deals are only on the big diesels. I guess we won't know until we actually get there.
.................................................. ........................................
Based on what you have shared above and what I have learned since buying my first driveable RV (new,gas Adventurer 38T. Owned boats for 20+ years) I would do the following...

1) don't buy new, now
2) don't buy new, now
3) learn and enjoy the lifestyle of RV'ing first, in a well researched well-loved pre-owned smaller unit. (to me, a smaller units forces one to get outside and really camp) Lot's of different styles of camping. Paying big $$ for an immediately depreciating new model that will be essentially worthless in 8 years. Just for a few weeks and miles per year would be a waste of money better saved to pay cash on the "dream" unit your experience and lifestyle fits at that time.
4) Talk to as many folks actually using theirs while "out there" and learn from their experiences, but make the best decision for yourselves.
5) Then, after you are firmly in love with the lifestyle spend that cash and buy exactly what fits your needs, new or used, diesel or gas or nuclear or solar or ?.

good luck, it's a great way to go.
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I guess if money wasn't a concern, I'd go diesel. This same debate came up when we were boaters and the thinking then was if you're a commercial user then go diesel.
  • Power: Whilst we live in the flatlands, we've taken our V-10's across some pretty good grades out west and in Mexico and never came up short.
  • Noise: this one always gets me. Unless we're pulling a huge grade, the V10 is as quiet as can be. I can easily hear every word that DW says
  • Maintenance: Eddie Bo (a real, advanced, shop) can deal with the V10. He can also deal with diesel but not as easy.
  • Ride: I don't know. We're very happy with the rides of the V-10's in both our coaches and DW has bone pain problems.
  • Horn: I DO like a DP's horn....not that I'd ever use it.
Do I lust after DP's when I see one? Sure. But then my financial's and, more importantly, priorities rein me in.

JMHO. It all depends on what YOU want.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to say this but.... if you only put on 5k mi. per year as a casual user why not rent? Our accountant FREAKED when he learned of plans to buy a used pusher in our retirement. He calmed down only a little after we assured him that we would use it frequently as a get away at "Camp."
Old 07-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I first had a gas coach. I bought it used and it served its purpose. In 99 we traded for a five year old diesel. It served our purpose then it was time to upgrade to one with slides. I looked at slightly used motorhomes in the 34 to 36 foot range. I found that you could find a three year gas with low miles at the same price as an 8 year diesel. I was lucky to find a slightly used 06 Allegro Bay 35ft gas with 12k miles. I have owned it since april 09 and do not regret my choice. The mileage is about the same as a diesel at 15 to 20 cents less per gallon for gasoline. It is just a matter of choice onyour part. Have fun.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I would go diesel just for the better ride,brakes and a real exhaust brake. Drive both then decide. Be warned once you drive the diesel I think you will be hooked.
The 30K+ upgrade is a bit hard to take though!