Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

We're quite content with our 2000 37'8" gas coach with 2 slides. It has a very livable floor plan, lots of closet space and an eye level TV in living room with electric fireplace underneath. Bought it new in 1999 and over the years now with 67,000 miles it's been virtually trouble free, relatively easy to maintain and averages around 7mpg. For us it's a Keeper...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Why on earth would you buy anthing new when you can get the bargains that are out there these day? I'm shocked! Well no, not really. I realize many people just like new stuff and also like the comfort that comes with a new warranty.

My wife and I purchased a 2004 Suncruiser with only 5k miles on it. The coach was immaculate and Roy's RV up here in Marysville gave us a fair deal. All they deal in are Used Winnies and Itascas. So when we got the coach there plastic protective stickers were still on all the electronics. The coach has been fabulous and the shop I menionted above where we purchased the coach sold us an extended warranty that actually has worked out quite nice without fighting for coverage.

We are both full-time working professionals and we live in the coach full-time near Seattle.

The coach costs $58k with the 3 year warranty and it is something like $175 new the way it is dressed out with upgrades.

Just food for thought. We have more than enough income to purchase a new coach but we are so happy with this one we are just sit tight and enjoy it.

Happy hunting!
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Got a new 37F Suncruiser in April. LOVE IT! Upgraded from a Minnie 31C Class C. Huge Difference. Looked at the Diesel. Do not travel enough to justify. We too are vacationers and spend approx 30-40 days/ year traveling. Hope to expand that next year. The comments on noise are right on line for a gasser. However not obtrusive. We have the Ford F53 with the V10 and tow. A DP would do better on the hills - But the V10 is not so bad. The 37F is a great coach.
RLTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

we still have a '99 gasser

We decided to stay with Gas, and do some basic upgrades to help the chassis over at the powershop in enumclaw, wa. I pondered Entry Diesel vs Gas as well. We are weekend warriors, and do tow a 4door unlimited jk wrangler. Are we the fastest up hill..HECK NO! I just plan on an extra day off from work to accommodate the slower speed.

Sure our f53 33' '99 was slower and louder then some diesels, but did some easy fixes for that all under 3k..simple things like noise deadening the dog house and putting in a different floor and banks exhaust system (no chip)..Anyhow we decided that for our lifestyle we planned on spending most of the time outdoors the rv, and we would plan on rv'ing when sunny skies are around (muddy dogs are a pain!)

If i Had to do it again I would have opted for some creature comforts (but I had no idea until I started using the rv what they were).

My suggestion is to by something in your budget and of course you are happy with, in case you need to get out down the road. Also remember you might qualify for a tax break as a second home. Ask yourself where do you plan on spending most of the time in the RV or outdoors, both, etc etc...
Old 10-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

There is a big difference in the diesel engines. The entry level and smaller ones are running the smallblock cummins. Same motor as a dodge pickup. If you're going to go the diesel route, regardless of coach size, get a big block. The performance is vastly better.
Unfortunately you can't get the old CAT big block but the Cummins is fine too.
JMHO YMMV
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

We owned 3 gas RVs from 1987-2004, and only changed to a diesel in 2004 for the extra pulling power since we spend 6-8 weeks twice a year in the mountains towing a Jeep Wrangler and it had the CCC to handle a washer/dryer with still plenty of capacity. I was extremely disappointed in the performance of "air brakes" since my last two gassers had front disc brakes and out performed the air brakes all around. I couldn't believe the harshness of the ride in the first two diesels I test drove as compared to the 28' and 32' gassers I previously owned. After 6 1/2 years of ownership its still a big decision if the extra maintenance expense of a diesel is worth it. Will probably have to decide in another 2-3 years when trading time comes up.

Good luck on your decision. A person can get hundreds of suggestions but it really takes personal experience to know if you made the right decision or not.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Great advice from all!! I have plenty of time for our search and decision, which is a good thing! I sincerely appreciate everyone chiming in with their thoughts because it really does help.

There really are pros and cons for both a new gasser and an older DP, and I'm still tossing both around in my head. I'm not sure I've got my answer yet!

Please keep any and all experiences and thoughts coming!!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Well I'm not much help as I'm in the same boat as you. I already have an older gas rig , 1988 Fleetwood Limited, high end gasser with everything and in excellent condition..

If there are no issues in repairing the dash A/C and the ABS warning light...I will be the owner of a 2001 Alpine DP tomorrow or the next day.

As one poster mentioned...its not so much need one as want one. I found a like new one for $54,000 with 46K miles.. Price is a big thing...finding a great deal helps the decision a lot. Maintenance on a diesel is expensive initialy...$1.500 for a complete fluid changes, brake, generator, oil, brake fluid flush etc... is about average. After that your good to go..

Lotsa stuff made up my mind. The power slide front mounted 7.5 diesel generator, huge holding tanks, big towing capicity, excellent driving manners, smoooooth power!...better quality thru out on many I had looked at, especially gas rigs.

...and I just wanted one. So there you go.

Good luck with your decision...I don't think its an easy one, but all my friends that have gone diesel say they woould never go back. I wouldn't weigh to heavy on that, because I know a bunch of nuts anyway..ha!

Best regards..Stan M.
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote