Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone have any experience with Satellite hookup in your MH. What I need is a satellite dish that will allow me to get E mail, watch TV, and use my cell phone. Direct TV has a service called "Direct Way" but the dish is "BIG" and they don't recommend it for MH or Boats. The first company to come up with something that provides these services at a reasonable price is going to make a killing!

Does anyone know of anything like this? How expensive is the hardware? How does it work?

tmcgeesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone have any experience with Satellite hookup in your MH. What I need is a satellite dish that will allow me to get E mail, watch TV, and use my cell phone. Direct TV has a service called "Direct Way" but the dish is "BIG" and they don't recommend it for MH or Boats. The first company to come up with something that provides these services at a reasonable price is going to make a killing!

Does anyone know of anything like this? How expensive is the hardware? How does it work?

Old 01-08-2005, 06:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Tim,

Take a look at the Datastorm products: http://www.motosat.com/

I believe I have read they are about $5500 installed and $99/month for "unlimited" internet access. They use the Directway service. There is also a Datastorm users site that you can probably find with a web search.

I don't have this system so I can't comment on how well it works but it seems to be the most popular for satellite internet.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Tim,
Just found my old bookmark for the users group: http://www.datastormusers.com/

Probably more useful information on price and performance there than on the manufacturer's site.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

tmcgeesr,

We have the Motosat Datastorm unit on our coach and have had one for about three years now. It works fairly well, but there are times of angst when it will not find the satelite, fail to test, etc.

There is a newer version of dish controller and Hughes modems that do not require a laptop to control the dish, just a simple Cat 5 network cable connection to your laptop and/or wireless router.

The Datastorm or any other Dish will not allow cell phone usage thru it. However, there are phones designed to be used over the internet (Voip) that will work with certain satelite set-ups.

You should go to the web sites listed by tomsm, they have some very good information.

Good luck!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The only internet access method that you can use while moving down the highway is your cellphone......to the best of my knowledge.

Max cellphone data speed is 144k.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Tim,

I also recommend reading over the forum at http://www.datastormusers.com/

You'll find lots of helpful discussions about the options available and pros/cons of both. Plus, the people there are extremely friendly and helpful about answering questions.

I recently got the Direcway tripod setup. I opted for that primarily because of the cost ($1,500 vs. $5,000 and $60/mo vs. $99). I was pretty nervous about being able to set it up all by myself, but I managed, with the help of my installer and the forum. I also like the flexibility of the tripod as to where it can be placed to get a signal vs. the fixed roof mount.

Here's a link to the guy who installed mine, but you will also find others on the forum.

http://www.globalsatsolutions.com.

I'd be glad to answer any other questions you might have about my experience with the tripod. Here's a link to a picture of me after I set it up all by myself:

http://www.maliasrv.com/Updates/AshlandatLast/index.htm

Regards,
Malia
Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

As some of the others have already indicated Datastorm satellite is one good option. We have had ours for about 15 months and other than an occasional problem as already mentioned the only real problems are usually user initiated. We paid about 4K for teh unit, but with the Direct TV and installation(they come to your MH) the total package was just under 6K. Then you have the $99 per month for satellite connection and whatever TV package you choose. We like ours and would recommend it. I am sure newer systems are coming out (one mentioned above), but we often work on the road and we must have the internet connection. We have been up and down the east coast the past year from Arcadia, ME down to Jacksonville, FL and had no problem with reception.

Good luck in your decision
Old 01-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for all of the information. I'm assuming the Directway system reguires a phone line to send info out, which seems to be a poor setup. What you are all telling me I assume, is that I can surf the web and get E Mail but if I want to send any out I have to be hooked to a land line.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Tim,

Nope, the Directway service is two-way. That's why the Datastorm antennae is so expensive. It has to be very accurate and precise to transmit to the satellite.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Tim is correct, it is a stand alone two way system. With a generator you can be anywhere!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Malia, Do you have to have a special meter to aim your Direcway Dish? You have exactly what my wife and I want in internet communication. We have the Directway transmitter/receiver dish but just need the tripod. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Amy and Don Kelly
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Donavon,

I use something called "Align-A-Site" that has a bubble system to help set the initial coordinates (I think that's the right way to explain that). Their web site is http://www.alignasite.com. This looks like the same thing I have, but I got mine from my installer.

To see the signal strength, I got something called an O.P.I. (Outdoor Positioning Interface). This has a meter that shows the signal strength as you slowly move the dish looking for the strongest signal. When I was first set up, he didn't have one, so we used my laptop which will do the same thing, but the OPI is much more convenient.

As for just buying a tripod, I'm not sure where to go for that, but I suggest posting on the DataStormUsers forum referenced above. Those guys are really great about helping us "newbies."

If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Malia
Old 01-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #14

I see some new members are taking advantage of the rating system to highlite their topics and to draw more attention. I for one don't think this is what the rating system was established for.

If this practice continues, the really important topics could be over looked and the purpose of the rating system defeated, and we all loose.

Tomcat F15
"If you cry wolf to often, when the wolf truely is a threat, the wolf has the advantage."
Old 01-13-2005, 04:34 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Malia!!

Any chance you'd have a web site on that other meter OPI. The web site on your installer doesn't seem to work for me.

I'll try Radio Shack too.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Donavon,

I did a quick Google looking for OPI and Outdoor Positioning Interface, but didn't come up with it. And I really don't understand why the link didn't work for two of ya'll when it works fine for me. Ah, the mysteries of cyberspace!

Anyway, I'm sure Roger wouldn't mind me giving out his phone number since it's his business, so give him a call at 888-236-1523 and I'm sure he can point you to the OPI.

Good luck!
Malia
Old 01-14-2005, 03:24 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Malia, I found this web site that has info on OPI and other products.

http://rv-anywhere.org/