Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Be careful, in-laws ? You maybe the one using it, so I would go something comfortable, I'm just saying.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Tpflyer;

A few years ago when we were on an extended trip our Sleep Number compressor failed. We ended up sleeping on our electric sofa for a few days and we realized that the cracks cause uncomfortable sleeping. My DW purchased a couple Memory Foam mattress covers which we roll up and store in our closet. We have some dear former traveling friends that we invite to take a weekend trip with us a couple of times a year. When we make up the bed for our guests the DW puts the 2 mattress covers down first one on top of the other before we put the sheets on. 2 weeks ago we had a couple friends in their 80s with us for 3 nights and they complimented how comfortable the bed was. Being long time RVers them selves we felt they were sincere. I highlighted guests because both of us were raised to believe when we invite guests to travel with us we want them to be comfortable which also includes temperature settings.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I totally agree with the 'drinks for 6. sleeps only 2' rule. The minute one brings a guest into a MH overnight, then NOBODY gets a good nights sleep. No fair to the guest, even less fair to the owner of the rig. Oh by the way - how many bathrooms does your rig have?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Enjoy their company let enjoy the scenery and pick a campground near a hotel. We did this with our boat and it worked best for everyone.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Last year for the 4th of July my friend, his wife, their 2 children aged 4 & 6 and I drove down to Homer from Anchorage to see the parade and spend a few days in the RV.

My friend drove his truck pulling his boat and I drove the MH.

Once in homer the 5 of us spent a wonderful 3 days in the MH.

When it was time for the kids to go to bed we put them in my bed, later when the adults were ready for bed we transferred the kids to the 2 sofas and blew up a queen size air mattress for my friend and his wife and I went to my bed.

We all slept very well.

Each day we rolled the mattress up and placed in in the drawer under the sofa.

I had a great time. My friend caught halibut everyday and his wife cooked the halibut for dinner every night.

By the time I was up, the kids had already had their parents up, the air mattress was put away, all good.

Wouldn't trade those 3 days, good time with good friends is hard to come by.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

IF you are going to ask or let someone come along on a trip, then they are your guests and as such I would want them if nothing else to sleep on a comfortable bed, if you have the jack knife they sleep terribly and so do the sofa sleepers without a good mattress. if it is they sofa sleeper, i would add an airbed and and eggcrate on top or a piece of memory foam over it. I think the inlaws would really be appreciative. we have an aerobed and it has a built in pump and can be inflated to the desired firmness and i cover it with memory foam topper, mattress pads and sheets, it deflates easily and it could be stored under the dinette, your bed.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
When it was time for the kids to go to bed we put them in my bed, later when the adults were ready for bed we transferred the kids to the 2 sofas and blew up a queen size air mattress for my friend and his wife and I went to my bed.
Wow... You must have been REALLY good friends if he slept on an air mattress and his wife slept in your bed.
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
A little judgemental today are we?
I thought the comment was quite appropriate. I wish people could just answer a question without their own personal philosophy.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post

Wow... You must have been REALLY good friends if he slept on an air mattress and his wife slept in your bed.
I think you better read what Maladjusted said again.... His friend and his wife slept on the air mattress....and he went to his bed.
Abclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebings View Post
I thought the comment was quite appropriate. I wish people could just answer a question without their own personal philosophy.
I really don't care what you think.

And BTW, you didn't answer the question, you just made an innane comment, totally against your wishes.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Wow, lot's of great advise as usual. Here is what we decided to do. We bought an air mattress with a built in pump. Since it was an inexpensive option, about $30 on Amazon.com, we are going to try this out first. When it comes in we are going to blow it up and sleep on it. We will see how it feels. If we like it then we are good to go. If we don't like it then we will get a memory foam topper and try that out. Either way we are determined to make it comfortable for friends and family to sleep in our MH. Although I much prefer to sleep 2, I think if you are going to invite someone else to sleep over you owe it to them to provide a comfortable bed. Nothing worse then being invited to sleep at someones house and have to suffer on an uncomfortable bed.
Thanks for all the good advise.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpflyer View Post
Wow, lot's of great advise as usual. ...I think if you are going to invite someone else to sleep over you owe it to them to provide a comfortable bed. ...
PERFECT advice for yourself and others!

Either don't invite others to sleep over or be a good host and make it a good experience.

As an option, when it is appropriate, you can always arrange to stop near hotels for others to get a good night of sleep. The point of bringing others along is to share in the travel experience and maybe that would be a good way to keep everyone happy.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abclipper View Post

I think you better read what Maladjusted said again.... His friend and his wife slept on the air mattress....and he went to his bed.
This once again proves the value of an appropriately placed comma!

But - If you're gonna invite guests, then make them as comfortable as you'd want to be (you know, the golden rule). It's a lot more fun that way. Otherwise, don't invite them. JMHO
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
We have a Intex Queen Pillow Rest matrress and everyone that has sleep on it says it is very comfortable. The air pump is built inside the mattress, it blows up and deflates in very short time. The price is very reasonable. It is currently on sale at Kmart for $35.99.

Intex Queen Pillow Rest Classic Airbed: Luxuriant Rest from Kmart
Sale expired, now $48.73
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote