Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

```Good Sam "Extended Service Plan"

Just purchased a 2008 Tour with 30,000 miles on it, checked the service records and the unit has been well maintained by the previous owner, since we now full time I am very seriously considering buying an extended service plan and I am looking for feedback from others who have experience with extended plans as to deductible amount, recommendations as to best plan. Our previous coach was a 2003 Adventurer and we bought it new and did regular service on it and we never had a serious problem in over 30,000 miles.To me the Good Sam plan looks to be the best I have seen so far since we are now full timing and the coach will be getting a few more miles on it and all the appliances will get more use I am thinking it may be a good move to invest that $100.00-$125.00 a month rather than face a large repair bill
Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I too, am considering this plan and will watch this thread closely.
Rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We had GS road service and GS extended warranty and GS accident insurance on a prior coach and it was fine. We had several things fixed thru the plan as well as an accident. On this coach we have CoachNet as the road service and RV Elite as the extended warranty plan. We have used the extended warranty and it paid all but our $100 deductible. State Farm is our accident insurance along with our two cars and house. We have had wind damage and a broken windshield fixed and the bill was $4,000. All paid by State Farm. On this coach we had a microwave repaired and four broken water lines replaced thru RV Elite with a single $100 deductible. Don't ask me how much the premium was because I don't recall the numbers and the papers are in the coach. Joe
Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have had the Good Sam extended warranty and would not drive one foot without it. I also have Camping World Roadcare for towing etc.
It's all about comfort. For me, I want someone to call when all hell brakes out. IE. We blew a transmission in Terlingua, TX and got towed to Odessa TX. Cost $0.00. The trans was $2,500 plus a motel, meals, rental car, Cost $250.00 deductable. The Roadcare is about $80. and the Good Sam is about $1000 per year. To me it's worth it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The '06 Journey we have just purchased came with 2 years remaining on an Easy Care Extended Warrantee that was purchased by the original owner at the time of initial sale. I can't offer any experience with it since the original owner never had to use the policy, and hopefully we won't either. However we will invesigate renewing the policy a few months before its expiration date. I'm a firm believer in spare tires.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
All great until your rig goes over ten years old, then you are on your own.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
All great until your rig goes over ten years old, then you are on your own.
Check with Good Sam, if you start out with your coach ten years or younger they will cover it for four of five years more if you don't let it laps
Old 01-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I have had the Good Sam extended warranty and would not drive one foot without it. I also have Camping World Roadcare for towing etc.
It's all about comfort. For me, I want someone to call when all hell brakes out. IE. We blew a transmission in Terlingua, TX and got towed to Odessa TX. Cost $0.00. The trans was $2,500 plus a motel, meals, rental car, Cost $250.00 deductable. The Roadcare is about $80. and the Good Sam is about $1000 per year. To me it's worth it.
I just got my renewal from GS for the next year and noticed it has the option to purchase "Extended Seals and Gaskets", which I had never noticed before unless this is a new type offer. I'm going to call tomorrow to see what it will cost since any coach over 7 years old (just re-read my contract and noticed the difference-it used to be 5 years so guess my 2004 will be covered for another year yet, or at least 7-8 months before the 2012s come out) is not covered for leaking seals.
Do you have this or have checked on it?

I have $100 deductible and my annual premium is a little over $1,800/year so will also check on my premium with $250 deductible tomorrow.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE=wagonmaster2;763108]I just got my renewal from GS for the next year and noticed it has the option to purchase "Extended Seals and Gaskets",
Do you have this or have checked on it?

I have $100 deductible and my annual premium is a little over $1,800/year so will also check on my premium with $250 deductible tomorrow.

Thanks Wagonmaster2,
I will be on the phone tomorrow with Good Sam before I blow a gasket!!! I have the $250 and it saves quite a bit.