Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

FYI all,
Talked with GEICO last night about insurance on the new rig. I was told it would be better to wait until Monday the 19th and talk to their NEW department for RV's. It will be dedicated to RV's only.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

FYI all,
Talked with GEICO last night about insurance on the new rig. I was told it would be better to wait until Monday the 19th and talk to their NEW department for RV's. It will be dedicated to RV's only.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Amazing. The light (money) went on for them..finally. A year ago I went to them for RV insurance on my new rig. What a goatrope...
Ended up today with Good Sam (GMAC).
Old 03-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

They finally realized what Progressive found out several years ago, RV specific insurance can be good for their bottom line.

Trouble is, now that I've had Progressive for some time, I now have no deductible and there would have to be a pretty substantial reduction in my premium for me to change.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ever couple three yrs. I fish for cheaper insurnce, yesterday was the day!
Home owners came in at $869. up $200. WITHOUT our 850ft. addition.(Liberty Mutual)
Called GMAC who has MH,MC,Jeep and Hemi. They saved me like $100. on home owners.

I called THE MOOSE, (HARTFORD) they saved me more than $500 on the home owners. Price is
$391 for 12mo on Home owners,saved me $300 on auto.Price $1,171 for MH,Jeep and HEmi.
Dont sell Motorcyce ins. Said to call Foremost and gave me a number.

So I will call Foremost or GEIKO Monday, for the MC ins.

Call RITA, at 1-888-808-5254, Let hear it for the MOOSE????TENN
Old 03-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Back in the '70's GEICO didn't want my business, looked down their nose at me because the engine in my truck had a turbo. They didn't want me then, they don't get my business now. I will use them to price shop, use their pricing as leverage on my present insurance carrier.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #7

We purchased an '06 fifth wheel a year ago. Good ole GMAC jacked the rates up to, get this, $4400 a year! Progressive (Drive Insurance) wanted a mere $510 a year. Guess which one we went to...

We just didn't "cotton" to fifth wheeling, so we took the loss (per trade-in of the Mobile Suites fifth wheel we bought last year) and purchased a Class A Winnie Sightseer. I went insurance shopping...again. Because we also had just purchased a new Chevy Suburban (got rid of tow vehicle for the fifth wheel we traded in on the Class A), I had to call my AARP insurance carrier, The Hartford, to make the changes on our multiple vehicles (and homeowners) insurance. I casually asked if AARP/The Hartford was ever going to insure RV's and, to my great surprise, the agent told me that they are now doing so. I got full replacement coverage, as well as my higher-than-standard liability coverage, on this new Class A for a little over $400 a year! To boot, AARP threw in Emergency Roadside Service. What a deal! Do check on the AARP insurance program for GREAT savings! Of course, this involves the fact that YOU are OLD enough to belong to AARP (membership is required)! [No, I don't work for the insurance industry...I'm just a "Happy Camper" per insurance rates through the AARP plan.]
ejlcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thank you for sharing this. I'll have some place else that I can take my money other then Progressive, hopefully they insure ATVs too. If so I can tell Peter Lewis where to take his politics.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:

I called THE MOOSE, (HARTFORD) they saved me more than $500 on the home owners. Price is
$391 for 12mo on Home owners,saved me $300 on auto.Price $1,171 for MH,Jeep and HEmi.
Dont sell Motorcyce ins. Said to call Foremost and gave me a number.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went through the quote thing with the Hartford and they insisted that they couldn't insure my MH because they were not allowed to insure anything with more than 4 wheels!

BTW: Its an elk, not moose.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Our AARP Hartford insurance covers our 04 Bounder, 89 Park Avenue and new Chevy Impala for less than $1400 per year here in tN.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went through the quote thing with the Hartford and they insisted that they couldn't insure my MH because they were not allowed to insure anything with more than 4 wheels!

BTW: Its an elk, not moose.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, it's a STAG (aren't the European stags really bull elk?) but really looks more like a bull elk...

That's odd per The Hartford not insuring your MH. Maybe it's a case of (1) only the AARP plan allows MH insurance; and/or (2) whom you speak with at The Hartford (i.e. different levels of customer service per representatives). My recent binder shows "Winne Motor Home" with the VIN and class of coverage (943700) listed. You might try The Hartford again, ask for a supervisor, and present that class coverage number (943700) as an example. I understood the motor home coverage was a new thing so maybe the rep you spoke with wasn't up-to-date with the program.

Good luck!

BTW, we have four vehicles (00 Jeep Wrangler, 00 Corvette, 07 Suburban, and the 06 Sightseer) insured with AARP's The Hartford for $1800 (that includes one speeding ticket...yep, the 'Vette--it's red, you know...). This is for full coverage (i.e. comprehensive and collision) on all four vehicles plus extra liability. Quite reasonable for this metro area.
ejlcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

It is true, GEICO is starting to offer RV specific insurance starting March 18th. They are only selling in Maryland right now but will add more states monthly. They offer ATV insurance already and have for a year.

For Gunny. GEICO is not the same company that you dealt with in the 70s. It has gone through massive changes and is now a part of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Group.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Got my paper work from THE MOOSE today, price was $322. for 12mo. of coverage on the MH!
I am thinking that they are selling MH insurance in Va. BUT my churance does not go into
effect until 04/29/2007......... And that is for full coverage.....TENN.

Are you sure its not a MOOSE?????
Old 03-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have all my insurance thru Hartford (except the MH and summer home) and here's why; they really don't want to insure trailers or motorhomes. I was quoted, and purchased, for a short time, insurance for a 2002 Horizon at $1200 per year with $500 ded.,with full coverage based on $150,000 which they would not change. Obviously, my coach is worth, maybe half of that, but rates were based on full value when new. Two years ago we had a summer home (manufactured) placed on a permanent foundation in CO on 5 acres, they refused to insure at all and went with Foremost. I insured with Progressive on the MH because I believe them to really be "progressive" with the rates based on real values, not new values. If I have a loss, all I want is to recoup my investment. AARP Hartford is really good on autos, OK on homeowners but not really a full service insurance co. JMHO
Richard
Old 03-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Well it's been one week since GEICO said they were opening the RV insurance program......NOPE!

Now they want me to go to the EXECUTIVE INSURANCE because the RV is &gt; $100 K.

Is GEICO playing the "bait and switch game"??

Maybe GEICO would like to respond on this issue?? When GEICO??
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I left them when I retired from the army.

When they dropped the name Government Employees Insurance Company and became the acronym GEICO they also dropped their personal service standards. I have never shopped for insurance by price alone as I don't mind paying for service. Unfortunately, IMO they don't do service anymore, so I dropped them.
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote