Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Over the long weekend I thought I'd take the opportunity to get all my waranty and maintenance info together. Going through the various manuals on the chassis it talks about different models of engines and transmissions etc. The cummins website needs the engine serial number (yeah right).

I know I have a 400 Cummins and a 6 speed Allison transmission and that's about it. The manuals talk about ISx for the engines and 1000 - 4000 for the trans. The chassis manual says XC, XSC, and VCL but I have the Evolution chassis.

How can I tell the model numbers and serial numbers of the engine and transmission? The Cummins manual also lists referance numbers for the CPL, ECM, and ECM serial number. What chassis do I have?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Over the long weekend I thought I'd take the opportunity to get all my waranty and maintenance info together. Going through the various manuals on the chassis it talks about different models of engines and transmissions etc. The cummins website needs the engine serial number (yeah right).

I know I have a 400 Cummins and a 6 speed Allison transmission and that's about it. The manuals talk about ISx for the engines and 1000 - 4000 for the trans. The chassis manual says XC, XSC, and VCL but I have the Evolution chassis.

How can I tell the model numbers and serial numbers of the engine and transmission? The Cummins manual also lists referance numbers for the CPL, ECM, and ECM serial number. What chassis do I have?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

This might help....How to decipher your VIN number.

How to Identify Your Motorhome
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

From the sales brochure I figured out that I have the 400 ISL and the 3000 Allison. But I would still like to know where to find the engine serial number and the chassis type. Is it possible to look it up in the engine computer?
Old 11-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you open the front hood over the generator you should find several labels (supplied by Freightliner) on the passenger-side firewall. You should find your engine and transmission model and serial numbers there.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:02 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I'd also suggest you go to Freightliner's public webpage featuring the coachbuilders spec sheets. On that webpage, you can find a specification for your chassis based on the year and model motorhome you have.

Freightliner Coachbuilder Spec Sheets
Old 11-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I found most of the answers that I need.

In the Cummins manual it lists two or more maintenance schedules for the 400 ISL engine. One with the CM554 CAPS fuel system and the other with a CM850 Common Rail Fuel System. Anyyone know which one is used in a Winnie MH?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Winnie Service Main Number

Service Administration
(800)-537-1885

For inquiries related to your current vehicle, service, or dealer inquires, please have the following information ready when making your call:
"¢ Complete 12 digit serial number
"¢ Date of purchase
"¢ Selling dealers name
(Note: If you own one of our motor homes and have a question about it, we encourage you to contact us by phone. We find phone communication allows us to more quickly resolve your issue.)
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote