Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Time to get out the excel spreadsheet !!

Ed, I like your posts and you state that the "frequency is less on a diesel".. but is it?

If you have a DP and you only put 3,000 miles on it on one year, even-though the milage factor is not there wouldn't you still need to change the oil?

So gas or diesel, you are changing the oil at least once per year.

I know some topics come up over and over but it is interesting to chat about them..
Hi Gene. To answer your question, yes, I think "most" diesel motor makers recommend the oil be changed at least annually, regardless of milage.

That low usage would definitely make the cost of owning ANY motorhome pretty outrageous IMO, and makes a powerful case for renting. You can rent a very nice coach for several weeks, put 3,000 miles on it, and not come close to spending as much as we do to own our gasser.

The associated costs of ownership such as taxes,storage, Insurance, and depreciation (the worst) is so high that I don't dare calculate the total cost to own AND operate my MH on a per mile basis; and I put more than 10,000 miles a year on mine. But, I would not travel any other way!
Ed
Old 01-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi LUMPY,
I purchase a coach based on my floor plan and storage requirements..................My story is to steer you to making the floor plan and storage your top priority. What engine comes with the coach might be better put lower on the list of things to consider.
Excellant advice, Gary! "If Momma ain't happy.........."

The good news is there are coach builders offering all sorts of floor plans and chassis choices so you can find almost anything you could want out there. Now, paying for it might be another issue.... but that's a different thread.
Ed
Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsdienes
Surprised no one mentioned noise. We put about 11K per year on our Meridian. Buying a DP from our 2000 Adventurer was not an economic decision. Like many we wanted one. That said, the biggest difference for us is the quiet. We can talk to each other now. We got so tired of listening to the 4000 rpm scream of the Ford whenever we hit a hill or head wind. Even after Banks the downshift occured more often than not.
Hear, Hear (pun intended)!! I'm 100% with you. After 40,000+ miles in a '97 Holiday Endeavor with a Ford V-8 and over 50,000 in our GS Crescendo DP, it's hands down a far more relaxing drive, for many reasons, including the air bags and brakes. But mostly it's the cotton-pickin' lack of noise that makes the big difference, You can be climbing the worst of hills and still carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice.

Now WIH ever came up with the idea of a FRED???
Beaufort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

That's true, noise in a gas coach is a contributing factor. We rarely are travelling mountains, but when we do, it's very hard to talk (or hear the radio) with the engine noise up front. Having the engine in the rear with a DP would, most assuredly, make for a quieter ride & less strain on the vocal cords.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
That's true, noise in a gas coach is a contributing factor. We rarely are travelling mountains, but when we do, it's very hard to talk (or hear the radio) with the engine noise up front. Having the engine in the rear with a DP would, most assuredly, make for a quieter ride & less strain on the vocal cords.

Lori-
In all honesty I can't dis-agree with these comments regarding front engine noise......but, as a Workhorse owner, I just can't resist pointing out that both of you who brought this issue into this thread were / are FORD owners
Ed
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaufort View Post
Hear, Hear (pun intended)!! I'm 100% with you. After 40,000+ miles in a '97 Holiday Endeavor with a Ford V-8 and over 50,000 in our GS Crescendo DP, it's hands down a far more relaxing drive, for many reasons, including the air bags and brakes. But mostly it's the cotton-pickin' lack of noise that makes the big difference, You can be climbing the worst of hills and still carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice.

Now WIH ever came up with the idea of a FRED???
To answer your question, It was Bob Tiffin who convinced FCCC to build the FRED chassis which he used extensively up until recently.
Ed
Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

After having three gassers over the last 15 yrs. I finally made the switch to a pusher. Haven't had it long enough to make an observation to the OP. This thread really gives great veiws from real people who know what there talking about !! I think....:-)
Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

I like our DP for the air brakes...I feel much better with air brakes than with hydraulic brakes for a panic stop....just my 2 cents worth....
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Noise issue

Having traded a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer with a Ford F53 chassis for a 2005 Suncruiser with a Workhorse chassis I can say that there is a big difference in the engine noise level. The Workhorse is definatly much quieter. I am curious to find out if the new Ford chassis coaches are now much quieter too
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Having been in many coaches over the years I have to say rear engine is quieter in the cab. I have been in some front engine models gas/diesel where it is difficult to to hear anything other than the engine. I have been in several front engine gassers which were barley audible except under acceleration or climbing a grade. I am more inclined to believe that noise level is the result of the coachbuilders attention, or lack of, to controlling what enters the cabin.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
......... I am more inclined to believe that noise level is the result of the coachbuilders attention, or lack of, to controlling what enters the cabin.
I agree. I am pleasantly surprised, but our new Itasca is much quieter than our old Newmar was. Both had the same motor.
Ed
Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

Goldwinger if you are pulling 10000lbs with your Itasca you are overloaded for sure. Number one that hitch is only rated for 5000 lbs and you are over your GCGW.

As far as every one else regarding Gas VS Diesel. I prefer gas and have climbed some of the highest mountains in Colorado towing a car and have plenty of power to get up the mountain. It all depends naturally how you drive up a hill, by that I don't mean letting the tranny do the work or leaving it overdrive either. It is just like anything else you must know what you are doing and to be real honest with you I have even passed diesels going up hill.

I agree the cost to maintain a diesel is much more than gas considering I do my own oil changes and don't need 20 qts of oil or have to worry about all the filters and dryers. Yes I like my gas unit and those that have diesels like theirs, it is just a matter of preferrence I guess and your budget.

Whatever you get enjoy the RV life like the rest of us.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I know I am overloaded as are many others whether pulling with gas or DP using enclosed trailers. Most racers are pulling over 15000 #s. I have re-enforced the extension and have a Class V hitch. The Trailer Toad carries all the weight. The receiver only takes the pull and push when you start or stop. The trailer has it's own brakes which are tied to the MHs.

Edit: I believe in 2006 Ford dropped the engine 4 inches on the frame which would lower the noise I would guess. I know in the F53 broucher the make a big deal out of the new engine position.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Some like gas I like my Dp yes they cost more to maintain it seems no one talks about the 100k or more up from cost over gas.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Retiree View Post
I like our DP for the air brakes...I feel much better with air brakes than with hydraulic brakes for a panic stop....just my 2 cents worth....
Yes and yes.
All the above statements pro con etc all have their points, but coming from a gasser one of my most noticable impressions were the brakes, service brakes, but most of all the exhaust brake and how seldom, going down grades do I use the service brakes.
I can imagine having a true Jake brake would be heaven.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #36
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Yes and yes.
All the above statements pro con etc all have their points, but coming from a gasser one of my most noticeable impressions were the brakes, service brakes, but most of all the exhaust brake and how seldom, going down grades do I use the service brakes..
Don't sell gas powered motorhomes too short on technology. A Workhorse UFO equipped with a Transmission Grade Brake and it's own Wabco HPB Quadraulic hydraulic 4 wheel ABS system are second to none.

The Wabco HPB equipped UFO was tested by an independent firm on at a state of he art testing facility and the hydraulic equipped vehicle stopped a full vehilce length shorter than an equivalently weighed air brake equipped motorhome.

Workhorse UFO™ Beats Competitor's Air Brakes By More Than A Coach Length
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Don't sell gas powered motorhomes too short on technology. A Workhorse UFO equipped with a Transmission Grade Brake and it's own Wabco HPB Quadraulic hydraulic 4 wheel ABS system are second to none.

The Wabco HPB equipped UFO was tested by an independent firm on at a state of he art testing facility and the hydraulic equipped vehicle stopped a full vehilce length shorter than an equivalently weighed air brake equipped motorhome.

Workhorse UFO™ Beats Competitor's Air Brakes By More Than A Coach Length
UFO

Now we are talking in what generally most of us dont think of as a regular gasser.
A rear engine gas motorhome. Got to drive one once at the Pomona Rv show. Not enough of a drive, but was impressed.
I dont think Think the UFO is generally campared to what we most equate a gasser to be.
Quite frankly I wish some UFO drivers would chime in, I loved the concept, but was hesitant on the capability on the long haul.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #38
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
UFO

Now we are talking in what generally most of us don't think of as a regular gasser..
In my opinion the one manufacturer that could have done the most with it killed the UFO and drove it into obscurity. In the end, there were some really nicely equipped motorhomes built on the UFO chassis and I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Aside from cost, the down turn in the economy and couple that with the lack of an engine, one can see that the UFOs days were numbered.

I was fortunate enough to have taken a number of people out for test drives in the UFO and I was able to experience 4 variants of this vehicle. Some boxes were so much better than the others but I don't want to start a brand comparison. The best of these were as quiet as a cathedral on Monday.

For the price UFO is a fraction of the cost below what one might be able to buy in a competitive 28,000 pound GVW RDP with air brakes and suspension. So if one wanted to be in a UFO, it would have to have been a choice rather than a good deal.

The UFO steers like it's on rails and it can just about out corner any box stock RV. The Torque box on the Hendrickson equipped suspension is also used on the Spartan chassis. Unique to the UFO are it's coil spring and trailing arm rear suspension.

Overall this machine is exceptional however the 1st iteration of an RP gas failed so miserably that some of that stigma rubbed off on the UFO especially with those salesmen that have been in the business since May West was running around in her RV. No comparison from the 1st RGP to the UFO is possible because the technology in the UFO makes the 1st RGP appear to be a Wright Flyer versus a Boeing Dream Liner.

We may not see a UFO in the near future but equipped with a MaxxForce7 and a 2000 Series Allison transmission, we may yet see the resurrection of this vehicle like the proverbial Phoenix. What will make this all possible is price and like I said previously the UFO is not an inexpensive chassis.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote