Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Talking Gas grill

Hello to all , newb to all of this. I have a 18 lbs propane tank and I just found a little compartment on the side of the rig with a connection for a grill. I like cooking out. What would be a good choice or brand for a grill. Just 2 of us and a dog. Thanks
Franksteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Blackstone grill. You'll love it.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Just about any major manufacturer has a reliable grill - may want to consider size if cooking for a crowd, and higher BTU/temps if you want to sear meats. Of course - there's also options for a smoker. Watch Wal-Mart and other big box stores for grill sales - and keep an eye on the Farm and Ranch stores.

Check to see if your outlet is low, or high, pressure - that will affect your choice of grill. If your onboard tank has a regulator at the tank, and the BBQ outlet line is plumbed in after (downstream) from the regulator than you likely have low pressure.

I have a low pressure outlet and converted my high pressure grill to low pressure. It works OK, but have been thinking about going back to a small high pressure bottle grill.

Enjoy! Nothing tastes better than when enjoying a beautiful sunset!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Weber Q1000 or Q2000, have carried/used the same Q1000 for 14 years without any problems
Old 03-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
KMG
Winnebago Camper

X2 on the Weber Q series grills. Not cheap but if cared for it will last for years.
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

x3 on Weber. I love my 2000 that I use with the Weber stand.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the Weber q1200 and the stand that goes with it. Takes up a lot of space. I separate the grill from the stand when traveling and it does make it a little more compact.

In my previous MH we carried the Sportsman Grill and although I used the small screw on propane bottles it was adaptable (I believe) to a quick disconnect.

The sportsman is easy to use and store. It also has two burners for more versatility in cooking. A heck of a lot cheaper also.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
Site Team

I too use the Weber Q1200. Great BBQ. But that outlet on the side of your Propane compartment is low pressure. Virtually any grill you purchase will have a regulator on it already. So connecting a low pressure line to it will not work. You would need a grill without a built in regulator.

On some grills you can simply remove the regulator and then use that quick connect on your propane tank. I've been told this is not very feasible on the Weber grill.

So, I bought a 2-lb Propane tank and a hose to connect that directly to the grill. But before I bought my motor home I used to usee a Camco 5500 grill and it is built to allow connection to the low pressure outlet.

Here's a link to that one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympia.../dp/B0014JN68O

So, keep all this in mind when searching for a good gas grill.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If you do decide on a Weber Q1200, here is a video to for use with on-board system, 20 pound portable tank, or screw in bottle.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We use a WeberQ 2200 that we adapted to run off the regulated trailer supply. I purchased a retrofit kit that let me replace the grill's regulator with fittings that accept a flexible gas line. There are also kits that let you hook into the tank before the trailer's regulator but then you won't be using the factory installed connector along the frame.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

In my post #9 the information will work on the other propane grills also.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

They've changed the kit somewhat but this is what I went with for our Weber Q conversion to run off the RV regulated supply port.

https://propanegear.com/weber-q-rv-q...2-m-f-qc-hose/
Old 03-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

You don't indicate what kind of rig you have. Trailer? MotorHome? So storage may/may not be a problem for you. I have a 2017 Fuse and struggled with a couple of different portable grills that would not fit in any storage; too tall, too wide for outside or inside. Weber's were all going to be too big so I went with the smallest "0" grill I could find and even it wouldn't fit until I discovered storage underneath the bed on the driver's side. That's where it fits nicely! Great little grill.
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The new 29 ve Winnie came with the Aussie ss grill and I am very pleased with it,, not too big for storage but large enough cooking for family get togethers... Stainless construction means it it almost impervious to the weather....... I must say that we bought a pretty looking Coleman grill from camping world a couple of years ago and a one 3 month winter vacation in Florida near the beach pretty much destroyed it...the chrome just rusted away and it needed a large area for storage ...cannot recommend the coleman...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

10X on the Blackstone grill got a 21" with stand for christmas, love it.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I recently bought an "Aussie" portable gas grill (item number 277-0000910 from
etrailer.com) for my Itasca. It comes with a storage bag and quick disconnect that attaches to low pressure propane system in coach with a hose: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Very nice set up.
audvm1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
The new 29 ve Winnie came with the Aussie ss grill and I am very pleased with it,, not too big for storage but large enough cooking for family get togethers... Stainless construction means it it almost impervious to the weather....... I must say that we bought a pretty looking Coleman grill from camping world a couple of years ago and a one 3 month winter vacation in Florida near the beach pretty much destroyed it...the chrome just rusted away and it needed a large area for storage ...cannot recommend the coleman...

Our previous trailer came with a painted Aussie grill with a bumper mount. It held up well in the 5 years we owned the trailer. My only complaint about it was with the thin metal it didn't hold the heat well in the colder months which was important to us as we camp year around here in NC.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Tried both ways

Our last Adventurer came with a gas grill that connected to the RV propane tank. It worked well. but was heavy, the hose was stiff, and it limited where you put the grill. Then the kids trip on the hose! Yikes!

We went back to using the inexpensive grills that use the screw on, small propane bottles. The bottles last a long time and provide plenty of heat to sear your steaks. i found it to be much quicker and easier to set up as well as lighter weight. You're usually cooking for two, but we have barbecued for 6 with burgers and hot dogs and it worked fine.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #19
Itasca Owners

We have had several grills over the years and one of our RV's had the propane connection that allowed a direct hookup. I didn't think it was worth it because the hose never reaches a picnic table away from the RV and if it does it is a tripping hazzard. We did have a rack on the side of the RV that would hold a grill, but I was always afraid of the heat so close to the RV.
Our answer was to buy a 5# (1 gallon) Manchester gas bottle and use that with our grill. It fits easily in the storage compartments, is easy to carry, and we just fill it whenever we fill the built in tank. We have a stainless steel NexGrill that we have been happy with and we have had the grill and gas bottle through 2 RV's now.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
They've changed the kit somewhat but this is what I went with for our Weber Q conversion to run off the RV regulated supply port.

https://propanegear.com/weber-q-rv-q...2-m-f-qc-hose/
For this one, once you install it, are you committed to use the motorcoach port? I don't see where you can go back to the green bottle if you want.

Tags
gas