Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 03:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Gas Filler Problem

On my new to me 2008 Winnebago 26P Sightseer I am having a problem filling with gas. Don't know if it is a California nozzle or specific to my rig. In some cases it is an on off situation and some won't work at all. Any idea on a fix?

Don G. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:14 AM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Can you be more specific? Gas will not go in? Trips before it is full? Will not turn the pump off? Is it on the Ford F53 chassis?
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yep. It's a California issue with the very large vapor recover nozzle! I posted something about this several times! My solution is to use a 1/2 size roll of electric tape, place the roll on the nozzle tip & slide it on to the rubber cup, insert an fill, sometimes I have to tilt the nozzle some! It works for me. Out of State I have yet to run into a problem. Just in Cali with the huge nozzles!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

One problem many Motor Home owners have is that they can only trickle fuel into the tank.. This is because on most Cars and Trucks there is a SERIOUS slant to the fuel tank filler tube. But on motor homes it's nearly a flat run.. Don't know why they could not find a way to increase the slant.

One solution is to open the other side filler cap if you have one (not all do)

One that works for me is to drop the gas cap side jack and slightly tilt the RV AWAY from the pump..

Nothing is 100% though.. Pick your pump if possible so the rv tilts AWAY from the pump.

(How I discovered this. Looked at how the Rig was sitting when it filled swiftly and slowly. and a great light dawned).
Old 02-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Well I have studied my fueling issues & the fill pipe drops just about straight down. Tilting the RV with jacks would not help. It's the dam huge vapor recovery nozzles & the design of the fuel receptor for the RV. A small roll of tape works just fine & I do use it quite a bit. Being a Cali resident!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

California nozzles are a PITA on many vehicles. Some (like my wife's 2006 Tahoe) is simply due to a very small diameter (1") filler hose. Others can be a problem because of a long, nearly flat run. The CA nozzles take those bad designs and make them nearly unworkable. However, there could be other issues, especially if the problem is new.

One thing to check is the vent line. It will usually follow the same route as the filler hose; but if it has dropped anywhere along the route (broken clamp mount, etc) it can create a sort of P-trap, and it won't vent correctly when filling. My last MH had a very long, nearly flat run, so fueling was a challenge; I had to make sure that the left rear of the coach was not low in order to fill. But suddenly it became almost impossible, regardless of the chassis angle. Turned out the vent line was sagging. Took care of that, and it returned to normal (still a PITA, but at least workable).
Old 02-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Steve a simple answer to a semi complicated problem.

Don G
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Thanks Steve a simple answer to a semi complicated problem.

Don G

Your welcome.
I first had this right when my RV was new in 07! I went to the dealer & Winy, complaining about fueling issues. With pictures, Documentation of the problem! Got Butkus for response as they all just pushed on Cali fueling regs!
So I tried the roll of tape to hold the rubber cup up some while fueling..it worked..been using it ever since!

Tags
gas