Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have a full body paint Itasca Sunflyer. It is an 04, produced in 03. It has debri under the paint surface all over the coach. It has white specs, chips all over - front, left side, right side, rear, even inside the slides. CDI/Winnebago sez it is normal wear and tear. We had them repaint our front end following a minor accident and after just one trip, the front end has over a hundred white chips and stress cracks. They say the 90 day warranty has passed so - sorry. ( The coach was stored for four months immediately following the repair.) They won't even inspect it - just flat out say the warranty has passed. Regarding the paint chips all over the coach, - we addressed the problem with it well within warranty and bring it up every time we go to the factory. We are told there are other coaches out there with problems and would like to gather information from you to help us get resolution to this problem. Your help, ideas, comments and suggestions are appreciated. Tell us your problems. Thank you for sharing.
Stonewings.
stonewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a full body paint Itasca Sunflyer. It is an 04, produced in 03. It has debri under the paint surface all over the coach. It has white specs, chips all over - front, left side, right side, rear, even inside the slides. CDI/Winnebago sez it is normal wear and tear. We had them repaint our front end following a minor accident and after just one trip, the front end has over a hundred white chips and stress cracks. They say the 90 day warranty has passed so - sorry. ( The coach was stored for four months immediately following the repair.) They won't even inspect it - just flat out say the warranty has passed. Regarding the paint chips all over the coach, - we addressed the problem with it well within warranty and bring it up every time we go to the factory. We are told there are other coaches out there with problems and would like to gather information from you to help us get resolution to this problem. Your help, ideas, comments and suggestions are appreciated. Tell us your problems. Thank you for sharing.
Stonewings.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Paint chips caused by road conditions is not a manufacturing defect. We had a wonderful collection of them after going to Alaska last summer and paid Winnie to fix most of them.

Defects in the original paint or clearcoat should have been brought to their attention during the warranty period. Ask Bob Gregory about the hoops Winnie/CDI will jump through to fix a paint problem within warranty.

I suppose you are too far out of the 90 day window for any warranty consideration of the repaint.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

John,
I looked at the Coach in question and in no way are these white spots caused by road conditions. Most are in the side of the coach and the rear of the slideouts! Which is pretty hard to do unless Winnebago feels people drive their MH's down the Highway sideways and backwards with the slides out!
It appears that something was on the skin before it was painted or they used bad primer, if Winnebago uses primer??

If it was reported before the warranty expired I feel Winnebago or CDI should make it right not just blow it off! It's not my coach but if it was I would be as upset as Stonewings maybe more so! Satisfied customers come back, others go elsewhere!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
--snip--
If it was reported before the warranty expired I feel Winnebago or CDI should make it right not just blow it off! It's not my coach but if it was I would be as upset as Stonewings maybe more so! Satisfied customers come back, others go elsewhere! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ed - couldn't agree more.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

I owned an '06 Vectra with clear coat overspray issues and CDI brought me back to the factory/CDI and the issues were addressed.

Please elaborate on your dealings with CDI and whether or not you were in Forest City?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Bob, John & Ed:
I sure do appreciate your input and comments. Thank you.
We have been to the factory numerous times. We have brought our paint problems to the attention of Winnebago and CDI within warranty as well as after warranty. In addition, the recent replacement of the front cap and repaint not only includes over a hundred white chips but also stress cracks. Winnebago is not even interested in inspecting it! We are aware that rock chips are expected, but this is not like that. We see other coaches daily. We have yet to see any like this. We frequently have other RV owners see ours. All agree, this is beyond normal rock chips.
Anyone else out there? Thank you for sharing your comments, ideas, and experiences.