Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fuel filter and loss of power

Hello,
I have a 2001 Winnebago Journey DL DP. I just got back from the first spring trip--the rig has been parked since December (exercised once a month about 1/2 hour). The trip was 300 mile each way. Everything went well until about 1/2 way back home. I noticed the engine was loosing power. At first it was barely noticable, but I could tell somthing was not right. Gradually the power declined until I was inching along at about 30 mph up hills. The transmission ran most of the time in 4th, on a flat place shifting to 5th, and only occasionally 6th. The trany temp remained cool. I limped along like this about 150 miles--fortunatly trafic on I-85 was not extremely heavy. It seemed that the engine would not exceed 2000 rpm. When I exited I-85 and waited at a stop light, the enging preformed as it should through town. Then when I got on the highway, back to the same issue.

I've owned this mh a little over one year and have made several trips with it. The previous owner said that he had the fuel filters changed just before I picked the rig up. I've searched this forum and others and this issue seems to be characterstic of dirty filters (this thing has two filters on it). There were no indicator lighs and the VMspec showed nothing amiss. If fuel filters are the culpert, okay; lesson learned. I'm goint to start with filters; that certainly seems to be the least expensive place to begin. I would be interested in hearing from any who had a similar experience.
Thanks
wilson8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Besides checking your filters, have your lift pump checked out. Did this problem start after a fill. Maybe bad fuel ?
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Fuel filters been there done that. When you change the filters dump them in a clean bucket and see what come out. If the motorhome as been setting a lot there could be things growing in the tank.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You don't specify which engine you have in your Journey. If you have a Cummins 5.9, you may have a RACOR in line fuel filter/fuel strainer mounted inside the frame rail just aft of the right rear tires. If sludge or heavy debris is your problem, that filter needs to be checked and possibly changed too. Loss of power under load is a usual sign of a plugged fuel filter.

When dealing with a "dirty fuel" problem, it is immaterial when the filters were last changed. A load of dirty fuel will manifest itself very quickly in the form of plugged filter(s) and loss of power.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Boy, I wish a loss of power were that simple! In our case the ISX dropped a valve in #6, taking out #5 and #4 a well as the turbo. $29,000 bill although Cummins is picking up $10,000 of that. Onliy got to drive it 2,600 miles after purchase.
I'd have loved to change a filter or even an injector rather than rebuild the engine a second time!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Fuel filter

Thanks for the info. The Winnebago has a Cat 330 engine with two filters. I was down to about 1/4 tank and noticed a slight loss of power. Filled up and all seemed to be well--the engine preforming as it should. An hour or so later, the loss of power returned and progressively became worse. There was no vibration or strangeness to the engine, just a loss of power. Again, when I left the interstate and drove through town, the engine acted normal--pleanty of power to shift through the gears; of course, in town I was limited to 35 mph. Once back on the highway, now 55 mph, after a few minutes the loss of power issue returned. This rig has one filter behind the radiator, and it looks easy to get at--the primary filter, I think, since it has a water bowl on the bottom. The secondary filter is on the engine and looks difficult to get to. Any experience with changing that filter?
Thanks.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

That's a terrible situation MR. D, I just couldn't imagine being in your shoes. I would be gun shy to take it on the road again after x2. As far as wilson8ford, after filling at mom & pop's, I had to have the lines, and tank flushed, filters changed x2, lift pump tested, and fingers crossed. Can't save money, at those places, large National dealers are a better return. Just saying.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My Cummins ISC has only one filter. It was hidden and almost inaccessible on the pax side of the engine. A couple of years after buying the coach I had a Cummins place relocate the filter to the rear where it is easily accessible (at cost of $500 ...best $500 I ever spent!). Two years ago, and again a week ago, I began to notice a loss of power at highway speed, struggling to maintain speed, and occasional stuttering on acceleration from stops. Pull over, get out the filter wrench and spare filter, and we were soon back on the road with full power.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

95% sure your problem would be fuel filters, especially since your rig has sat since December. The 1/2 hour exercise was probably just enough work to move "water" from the fuel tank into the filters. Also, that would be a lot of time for tank condensation. Another problem that would act like that is if your fuel tank isn't venting. Bugs, dirt, etc can give fuel tank vent problems. Easy to check that, just listen for the rush of air into the tank when you remove the fuel cap. But change the filters first. Let us know what you find.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Fuel Filter issue

Our '02 Journey is in a Cummins shop right now, awaiting lift pump replacement and addition of a filter before that. There was significant rust in what the mechanic called the water bowl, and some in the lift pump. Good Sam warranty says they don't cover rust issues but I am going to go to battle over that. Most likely to no avail but whatever. Question is, WHERE did the rust come from? I'm thinking bad fuel someplace, as we had the rig serviced just a couple weeks before we left home and we only bought fuel at major brand truck stops or stations. We got along fine till day 3 on our trip (maiden voyage for us). The mechanic questioned why someone would design it with no filter pre-liftpump? Good Question for Winnebago for sure! Or maybe this is a freightliner design?
Per advice from others, we will carry spare filters and wrench.
Please, if you are going to change filters on the road, also carry something to catch the spill in and contain it (an old Ice cream bucket and floor dry product will do fine job). We have all seen the fuel spill on the ground and an old filter lying there left by some inconsiderate boob, so unless you want someone to drink that stuff in their water, please contain your spill.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

If your 02 chassis has a Cummins ISB and was built after Sept 02 there is a fuel strainer on the frame rail above the passenger side rear tires. Make sure that is changed, can be the cause of low power.
SoIlBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Wilson,

We've recently changed both primary and secondary fuel filters on our 04 Journey. I added two ball valves on the primary filter and accessed the secondary filter from under the bed.

Prefilled both prior to installation and went without a problem. Lubed the exhaust brake and cut the window from the top of the radiator fan shroud at the same time to aid in cleaning between the CAC and radiator. I also found the clamp next to the turbo a bit loose and tightened it as well before mounted both engine covers.

Here's a few part numbers you may need;

FREIGHTLINER ALLIANCE SERPENTINE BELT 8PK1813
freightliner p/n#Z1-24730-004 P/N 01-24730-004 8KP 1813
The water pump belt is a Napa 25-9341
Oil Filter: CAT 1R-1807 DIESEL OIL FILTER CATERPILLAR
Secondary (engine mounted) 1R-0751 Fuel Filter
Primary CAT Separator 198-6378 freightliner p/n#ABP N122 S32FRT04Y
Just some of the spare parts I carry with me.
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Hi Wilson,

We've recently changed both primary and secondary fuel filters on our 04 Journey. I added two ball valves on the primary filter and accessed the secondary filter from under the bed.

Prefilled both prior to installation and went without a problem. Lubed the exhaust brake and cut the window from the top of the radiator fan shroud at the same time to aid in cleaning between the CAC and radiator. I also found the clamp next to the turbo a bit loose and tightened it as well before mounted both engine covers.

Here's a few part numbers you may need;

FREIGHTLINER ALLIANCE SERPENTINE BELT 8PK1813
freightliner p/n#Z1-24730-004 P/N 01-24730-004 8KP 1813
The water pump belt is a Napa 25-9341
Oil Filter: CAT 1R-1807 DIESEL OIL FILTER CATERPILLAR
Secondary (engine mounted) 1R-0751 Fuel Filter
Primary CAT Separator 198-6378 freightliner p/n#ABP N122 S32FRT04Y
Just some of the spare parts I carry with me.
You have a C7. The OP has a 3126.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I must have misread where Wilson said "The Winnebago has a Cat 330 engine with two filters." on post #6
Old 04-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson8ford View Post
... The secondary filter is on the engine and looks difficult to get to. Any experience with changing that filter?
Thanks.
Changing that one is a pain. I decided to have mine relocated and add a priming pump: Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump -- much better!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I just got the rig situated to begin the filter changes. I have a Harbor Freight strap wrench which I tested and it broke; only about four fiber cords in the wrench. What a poor quality! I'll have to pick up a respectable wrench; some things from HF are fine, but this is a piece of junk. More as the process moves along. Thanks for the info. I like the idea of putting a valve before the first filter. Is this closed during the filter change to keep the fuel from flowing back to the tank?
Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson8ford View Post
Thanks. I just got the rig situated to begin the filter changes. I have a Harbor Freight strap wrench which I tested and it broke; only about four fiber cords in the wrench. What a poor quality! I'll have to pick up a respectable wrench; some things from HF are fine, but this is a piece of junk. More as the process moves along. Thanks for the info. I like the idea of putting a valve before the first filter. Is this closed during the filter change to keep the fuel from flowing back to the tank?
After trying those rubber strap wrenches and breaking them I bought at Harbor Frieght a filter wrench that is kind of like a vise grip. It is adjustable and works well for me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I used an old stainless oil filter wrench on mine and it just fit perfectly.

Of course, I had no idea CAT made a 3126 330 until "ernieh" enlightened me. So your engine mounted fuel filter may be located a little differently than on my C7.

After my second filter change, I'm now favoring Chris Beierl's filter relocation project to the rear. I like the one mounted above the water trap for ease of access.

The ball valve will allow filter changes on the road side without having the fuel run back into the tank.
McMaster Carr P/N#4912K74 6.86-each
Miniature Chrome-Plated Brass Ball Valve, Wedge Handle, 1/2" NPT Female x Male Connections

As you can see from the photos, the engine mounted filter can take a little longer to change due to it's location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141223_122555.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	91226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter3.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	91227  

Old 04-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I started the filter changing job and like the idea of putting ball valves on each side of the filter to turn off and prevent fuel line drainage. However, my problem is that I have to go to Athens, Georgia, several miles away, to find the necessary fittings. I like the idea of changing the secondary filter mounting from the engin to the rear of the mh, but find the lifting the bed to access the engine filter only takes about 20 minutes, so I think I'll leave it where it is for the time being.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Yep, that was my thinking as well. Since we'll probably wanna clean between the radiator and CAC, lubricate the exhaust brake and check hose clamps periodically anyway.
I just hope an engine mounted fuel filter change doesn't become necessary along some deserted section of highway...Cheers and happy travels to you.

Tags
fuel, loss of power, power