Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I may be dense. But, I know four corner weights give you a "general" idea of how much weight is on each corner..Just how much good does this do??

There is only so much stuff you can move around.
My 35U for example left rear corner, Genny, Water/Sewer Compartment and Electrical, Inside Left Rear Corner,,Drawers for Clothes etc.
Right Rear Corner ,Propane and Small compartment. Again this is just an example and I know there is a little more leeway on the front but not much. I know other coaches are different, but not by a whole lot.

Then we are susposed to inflate all tires on a axel to match the heaviest side on that axel.

So therefore I feel that front and back weights is much more important than the four corners. Yes, it gives you and idea of how your coach is loaded but on many coches there is not a lot you can do about it..

So why the big push for four corner weights?
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I may be dense. But, I know four corner weights give you a "general" idea of how much weight is on each corner..Just how much good does this do??

There is only so much stuff you can move around.
My 35U for example left rear corner, Genny, Water/Sewer Compartment and Electrical, Inside Left Rear Corner,,Drawers for Clothes etc.
Right Rear Corner ,Propane and Small compartment. Again this is just an example and I know there is a little more leeway on the front but not much. I know other coaches are different, but not by a whole lot.

Then we are susposed to inflate all tires on a axel to match the heaviest side on that axel.

So therefore I feel that front and back weights is much more important than the four corners. Yes, it gives you and idea of how your coach is loaded but on many coches there is not a lot you can do about it..

So why the big push for four corner weights?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

To an extent you are correct that there is only so much stuff that can be moved. Slide outs and appliances make up a good deal of the wieght that can't be redistributed. However, with all the storage bays on most rigs, knowing if you have a heavy corner can inspire a shift of the contents of one bay to another with lighter stuff.

Also the individual weights really helped when setting the air pressure as you described. By knowing the weight of my heaviest front corner I was able to reduce my necessary front tire pressure significantly. This made a huge difference in ride harshness, and will greatly extend my tread life on those expensive tires.

I carry tools in some storage bays, and water hoses in another. I could switch those if necessary and make a huge difference in weight distribution. Four corner weight is not the answer to all wieght problems, but it can make a significant difference in ride and the performance issue of certian mechanical parts like brakes and suspension parts.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Like Sarge says, there is only so much stuff that can be shifted, but if you do know you are heavier on one corner (like I'm sure most everybody is), you can still do your best to move things around and make your balance as optimum as possible.

If you read the October FMCA review of the Alpine coach (page 106), the article author said the driver's side was 700 pounds heavier than the passenger side. When Alpine was asked about this, they dismissed it as insignificant.

Sure - whatever. To me that represents poor design and engineering.

And I think I read somewhere you want to load your axles to the same percentage. i.e., if your front axle is loaded to 95% of its rated capacity, load the rear axle to 95% of its rated capacity.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

When you weigh an axel, you get the averaged weight of the two corners. Should your coach's axel weight be off balance significantly left to right you may very well under inflate one of your tires, if you inflate your tires based on the average axel weight.

You are absolutely right that corner weighing makes no difference versus weighing per axe IF your weight left to right on an axel is in balance. You won't know this however until you weight each corner
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thank you all for your input. Very valid answers and it sheds light on why four corner weights are important..Good Miles
Old 10-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I also have a 35U and had the four corner weight done. I was amazed to find out that I was about 500 pounds below capacity and that I was nicely balanced, side to side, not perfect but close.

I can dig up the exact weights if that would be helpful.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had our coach weighed 4 corners at FMCA Rally in Brooksville, FL early this year. I was under weight overall but my pass side rear was much higher than the drivers side. The guy said this was very common today and it seemed to be OK. I'm not so sure but what can I do when the Batts and the central A/C are all on that side.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well I had my 35 U weighed 4 corners a couple of times. Empty and then after I loaded it just for comparison.
Here is the loaded figures:
LF 3480 RF 3540 (60lbs dif)Total 7120 89% of
8000front chassis.
LR 6320 RR 6340 (20lbs dif) Total 12660 87% of
14500. Total 19780 Chassis 22000 = 2220 cushion
Front left to right 60 lbs = dog.
Rear left to right 20 lbs = dog food.

Like arkaussie,,not much I can move to offset anything...Think its close enough for government work...Thanks again and Good Miles