Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
Itasca Traveler

Forest City Factory Visit

We are heading to the Forest City factory. Would like to get an idea of what to expect when we get there. I was told I can get on a standby list for maintenance and I wonder if they sell parts to visitors. Any suggestions on where to camp?
GaHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Depending on how many folks are there - and there is certain to be quite a few this time of year - you can "camp" at the factory or more likely across the street at the WITT Club building's parking lot.

The factory has about a dozen or less spots with 50 amp power. One area in the parking lot of the Customer Service bldg has maybe 6 spots. And directly behind that area is a wooded gravel area with another 8 or so spots with power as well.

Folks with appointments are mostly in these spots but we met about 4 owners in the lot this past May that were waiting without appointments.

You get on the list when you arrive and you can present your concerns and requests for service. At the time I was there you were permitted 7 areas you want addressed.

Depending on what needs repaired and how long each repair is projected to take they fit you in as others leave early. When we went we had an appointment and 5 things on our list. They had scheduled us for 3-days in the Service area but we were finished after a day and a half, so we left early. They then took in someone without an appointment to fill our unused day and half.

You line up at the door to the Service Center at 7 am and check in when the doors open. You are given paperwork to complete with your problems and they inquire about any warranty you have on your coach - factory or extended. If you have neither they discuss the hourly rate and how costs will be handled.

I don't have first hand knowledge about buying parts there - but there is a sizable accessory for purchase store there and many of the items to be purchased are things that they would need to install. I feel certain that they would sell you coach parts there as well.

Across the street from the Service Center / Factory is the WITT Club house and it has a large paved parking lot. I saw 10 or more coaches parked there. I don't know about power. I never investigated that. I do know some folks without appointments were parked there as well.

You take the factory tour from there as well. One tour in the morning and one in the afternoon. It was a good tour and very interesting. Highly recommended.

Keep in mind that the Summer is short in northern Iowa - you're only 60 miles or so from the Minnesota border. So, people pack the Service Center during the good weather and early Fall is some of the best weather. Plus, thousands show up for the Grand National Rally in July and hang around the area in August waiting to sneak in a little work on their coach.

Best of luck!!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Here's a photo of the layout and the parking/camping spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wbgoServiceCenter.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	170209  
Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes the Factory Service Center has a parts desk and they sell Winnebago parts to anyone. 10% off Winnebago parts if you belong to the WIT club.

Lichtsinn RV right up the road also sells Winnebago parts , also with the 10% discount for WIT club membership. Lichtsinn has a much better selection of non-Winnebago parts. Lichtsinn is the largest Winnebago dealer and has a large service department, too.

The Ford dealer is across the street from Lichtsinn and can do Ford chassis work.

= = = = =

Factory service takes appointments, earliest is about 60 days out right now.
Yes, you can show up and go "standby".

Lichtsinn also makes appointments and will take show up customers for standby. Being 1 mile from the factory waiting for parts is no more of an issue than it is for Winnebago Factory Service, as the Winnebago parts warehouse is on the factory grounds. They also have camping with electric hookups but check with them if you are going to try to camp there without doing any service or rig purchase business with them.

= = = = =

Camping

Winnebago has closed amost all of the "WIT Club Camping Spots" with electric hookups shown on the photo directly above in this thread. They have reconfigured those spaces to display model RVs. If I recall there is one or two left on the end farthest away from the visitor center with electric posts and that's it.

You can check with the visitor's center front desk, I believe if you have a Winnebago you can get a permit to park across highway 69 in a specific area of the Winnebago rally grounds overnight or longer if you are waiting for service.

Lichtsinn has overnigh camping with electric for their customers up the road on highway 69.

Finally, there is a great city campground with free dump station and good water just north on highway 69 in Pommel park. They have electric hookup spaces for $ 15 per night. Several pull thrus. It's worth it - much quieter and its shaded. Only time it can be noisy is if diesel pusher shows up real late pulls in right next to you and then runs their engine for 15 minutes while they dump air put down jacks put out slides. Ask me how I know ...
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Itasca Traveler

Thanks for all the information, its going to be very helpful. I plan to get on the maintenance list when we arrive Friday. Probably stay the weekend at Pammel Park.
GaHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We visited the Class B plant just a few days ago. Very well done tour.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If there is no place to park at the factory/visitors center there is also a town park with an rv area about a mile away where everyone also goes to dump and get water.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaHoosier View Post
We are heading to the Forest City factory. Would like to get an idea of what to expect when we get there. I was told I can get on a standby list for maintenance and I wonder if they sell parts to visitors. Any suggestions on where to camp?

If your not a WIT club member apply for membership at least 30 days before you arrive. Power is available. Pamela Park is not far away and is where you can dump. Camping is available there also.
Forest City is small and, weather permitting, town is within walking distance.
Factory tours are available.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Here's a photo of the layout and the parking/camping spots.
Sarah
At the GNR this year, the "WIT camping area" you described had been converted into a product display area and there was no any longer camping on that property. That might not be the case at this time of year however there are lots of other places including Pammel park.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We are planning a trip up to Forest City for warranty work at the CDI facility in the early part of May.....they are suppose to be the sole contractor for full body painting of Winnebago coaches. Our work involves the front protective film which they install has developed some bad areas and the imperfections are pass our warranty period....the people at CDI are going to remove and replace what ever needs to be replaced no cost to us.
We are planning to stay at 3 fingers rv campground which is 4 miles away from the facility.....that is the only rv park that has full hookups and close to CDI.

This trip will allow us to visit the area again and to see some places we miss since our last visit a few years ago. Our coach suffered from windshield damage when we went to Alaska a few years ago so instead of having it repaired up in Alaska, we opted to have it replace on our way home at the Winnebago factory with a OEM windshield. When they replaced the windshield they inspected the frame for rust and integrity.( At the time we owned a 2010 35P)
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote