Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

I've enjoyed the "travel logs", etc. One of the best things about this forum is that you begin to "know" the participants beyond this is broken how do I fix it. Some time away from the problems is a good thing.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 04-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger: John, can you park a motorhome on Mall of America property? I seem to remember reading somewhere they do not allow RV parking, even if you are shopping.

Finally, how is the weather there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary - don't have a clue about MOA parking. I would consider going there as a day trip from Forest City.

The weather here has not been, well, too great. It alternatively has been stormy, rainy, blowing like heck, or chilly (lows in the low 40s) or some combination of all of those. We have seen the sun here and there though.

Argiculture is the big industry in the state, saw what looked like field stubble from cotton (maybe) and I think corn is a big crop. Don't know about hog or beef production - I don't think I saw any feed lots along I35.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PDB:
I've enjoyed this thread on the factory experience since I have an appoitment there come June.
I have what might be a silly question. My '04 Vectra just passed it's two year anniversary, and I know Winny only gives a 1 year warranty. So here's the question: What kind of money can I expect to spend having the factory fix some things? I should note that some of the items were broken during the first year and the dealer allegedly put them on file as warranty items no matter when I got to a repair facility.
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Paul - some of your coach is warrantied beyond the one year limit - engine, chassis, tranny, the furnace, etc.

I bet that Winnie will evaluate every out of warranty situation like yours on a case-by-case basis. Doesn't hurt to present your case for it being considered as warranty.

Nowhere did I see a sign advertising an hourly shop rate - I might be able to figure out the hourly rate once I settle up the paper work this afternoon. We are having some customizing done that I have to pay for, so I should know later.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #43
Winnie-Wise

In response to parking at the Mall of America. It has be a few years, but they had areas specifically assigned for large vehicles and busses. They get several bus loads every day making trip to the mall. If you are in the area it is worth a stop, plan on spending most of the day there, and maybe some of the next.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Mall of America has parking for RVs on the North side overflow parking lot near the IKEA store. This is a very large lot with lots of space. City of Bloomington does not permit overnight parking.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:58 AM   #45
Winnebago Camper

If I remember right, the hourly tech repair rate at the FC factory is $80 or $85 an hour.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

I enjoy hearing of the happenings at FC. Keepit up.
We had only possitive experiences there.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MNGolfer:
Mall of America has parking for RVs on the North side overflow parking lot near the IKEA store. This is a very large lot with lots of space. City of Bloomington does not permit overnight parking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> This is correct, and you will need a couple of days to DO the mall. Its a cool place. The Walmart is about a mile or so away. Overnight parking there. Plenty of testuraunts and attractions in the mall. Oh yea, amusment park rides, baby sitting services, shark petting tank etc. Check it out and have fun.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #48
Administrator Emeritus

Posting from the road as I've just handed over the driving....

Not sure whether pork or beef is most popular in FC,but "bull" seemed to be in good supply this week as we sure shot at some...

Stopped at the grocery store on the way out of town,stocked up on chow for the road....Saw Archway cookies, haven't seen them in years!!
Had some good deals on store brand things.....picked up some sandwich stuff for the road.

The Ace hardware is a well stocked store and it's a good size one...

Only hiccup this week was the fact that when I unhooked the electric yesterday morning,something distracted me long enough to forget I put the 50/30 adapter on the ground....When I came back from service it was gone,so I made a trip to Lichtsinn's parts....A $17 mistake...

EVERYONE at Lichtsinn's was really nice, especially the receptionist, a young lady named Chelsea.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:49 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

Looking for something interested in the Forest City area?? Visit the Hobo Museum in Britt. Britt is 20 miles south of Forest City.

http://www.hobo.com/Museum.htm

While there consider "buying a brick" and placing iRV2.com on it.

The Hobo Foundation invites you to become a permanent part of the new Hobo Museum.

Our "Buy a Brick" project gives you the opportunity to purchase an engraved brick displaying the name of your family member, individual or business.

The bricks will be placed in the new Hobo Museum for all guests to enjoy.

These engraved bricks make a great memorial gift or for any special event. Show your support for the Hobo Foundation and immortalize the names of your family, loved ones, business, friends or children.

Application
4x8 brick $50.00
3 lines-- 12 characters in a line

Tom N
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:15 AM   #50
Winnebago Master

Wrap up for our service visit:

We are really glad to have last week behind us as you might imagine. It was a disruptive event but like many things in life, we just have to deal with it.

Our problem list for the coach is considerably whittled down now - not cleared unfortunately, but down to just a few, for the most part, minor things. I can't give Winnie an "A" for service quality though because my formerly locking sliding door that was replaced last week now won't lock - the locking pin doesn't line up with the receiver hole. We had "sliding door events" yesterday morning while on the road. Also a caulk job in our bathroom is not up to the standard of work I would do.

The tile we had added around the dining table looks pretty good. The new grout is shiny compared to the original, but I can probably buff it to blend it in better. Now every chair position will have tile, even with the table extended.

In retrospect, having five days allotted for my rather lengthy list was not enough - it was underestimated by probably two days. They forgot to replace the window that had a seal breakdown and condensation between the glass. Winnie will make it good though whenever I can get back to them or a dealer. I never received any feedback about my awning issue (not kneeling and dumping water) which is surprising since the tech and I talked about it.

My Grade "A" pain in the butt, the leaking bedroom slide, seems to be addressed in fine fashion. The whole slide was pulled and they replaced most if not all of the gaskets and replaced some trim. If looks mean anything, it sure doesn't look like there is a chance for water to ingress anywhere. I am extremely pleased with the outcome of the slide - now if it just won't leak...

My Grade "B" minor pain in the butt, the air conditioner that would sometimes decide not to cool after being on the road all day (like travelling from campground to campground) worked fine for Phil the AC tech. Phil and I discussed at length the symptoms of the problem and then he did a bunch of diagnostics. We did have a bad freeze switch and Phil replaced the thermostat, so at least if it now still has problems we can rule out some parts.

My Grade "C" very minor pain in the butt, the key fob remote for the door/compartment locks that would always lock but only unlock ONE TIME (after having the control box 'learn' it, did the same thing for Winnie. Easy fix - replace the key fob remote. Had a bad one all along that caused me to chase my tail a couple of times.

I wish I could say that we are 100% all systems "go", but we aren't quite there yet. I'm thinking we might need Forest City, Part Deux this fall. At any rate it is good to see us taking a giant leap forward to work through the new coach issues.

Absolutely no regrets about taking the coach to the factory for service. I think overall they do a very, very good job with some exceptions here and there. I think in my case, they were fighting the clock and that might have been a factor in a couple of 'oops.'

Old 04-23-2006, 04:33 AM   #51
Administrator Emeritus

John and Jane, very glad to see you guys were able to get out of Forest City and up into Minnesota, I too have "mixed" emotions about a service issue I reported.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:40 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Great information John, I really appreciate you sharing this info and all the other info you share. When I can't be traveling myself, I really enjoy reading and learning from fellow RVer's experiences.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #53
Administrator Emeritus

Jane and John Canfield and my buddy Jim....

Old 04-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #54
Winnebago Owner

A few observations about this last picture of Jim, Jane and John if I may -

John looks better in his tuxedo

Like me, John just cannot give up the deck shoes - old habits die hard

People - it is almost May - why the cold weather cloths

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #55
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdrianLee:
A few observations about this last picture of Jim, Jane and John if I may -

People - it is almost May - why the cold weather clothes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A very WINDY week in Iowa Adrian...so windy that in the evening I stored the dish...
Old 04-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #56
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdrianLee:

People - it is almost May - why the cold weather cloths </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And to think I just bought a new tux and didn't bring it on the coach

I was wearing deck shoes back in the 70s when it wasn't cool!

Old 04-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #57
Winnebago Master

Kudos to Winnebago I communicated with them today about the punch list not being completely cleared and they are going to work me in early May at my choice of dates

Old 04-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #58
Administrator Emeritus

You and Jane just wanted another crack at that fish fry!!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #59
Administrator Emeritus

I know John posted this somewhere,but here's the parking lot of the service center for those of you that head this way....Coaches parked along the fence line to the right get the electric hookups,while the coaches in the center of the lot (facing the building) mostly just used their genset.
Come 7AM the coaches from the other areas start filling the lot as well.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #60
Winnebago Master

I'm a bit surprised that the largest (volume) manufacturer of motorhomes in America doesn't have more electric/water sites at their service center. It is nicer than what they have a Gaffney, for sure.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote