Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

First time owner with questions

Bought a 2002 Minnie Winnie 430V last week after months and months of filtering and investigating. Yeah! As my buddy says " You better be ready to fix things" and that has been going on since last Friday. My latest discovery was weeping hydraulic lines. I spent a good part of today wiping down and reading HWH part numbers in the hope of getting some ideas from HWH. I know I will be waiting for some time on that one. In the mean time I don't think the leakage just started and we will use the unit anyway. I have been advised to take the leaking lines to a repair shop which makes new lines but I need a diagram of the hose layout. I was planning on starting with the rear slide lines first. Is that smart? On the other hand the backup camera is only working occasionally and I would like to believe it is either camera or monitor. Is it reasonable to hope for a good video cable? The unit was garage kept it's whole life and has 24K. Also I need a 12v socket for my CPAP next to the bed. Can I wire one of these myself nearby? The cord is only 6 ft long. Enough for now and thanks.
sixkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

In answer to your Hydraulic lines I would contact HWH in Moscow, Iowa and ask them your questions and they could probably provide you with the lines that are bad. In fact if feasible I would drive to Moscow, Iowa which is right off I-80 and have them check it out.

As for the rear camera it sounds like a bad cable or loosened fitting. There you should be able to contact Winnebago in Forest City as their techs are real good.

Enjoy your new RV and enjoy traveling in it.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:
Can't help too much with your questions, other than the CPAP.
If you have bedside lights , 12v with switches that are controlled at the lamp alone , not by remote switch, you will need to find the circuit fuse for the lights to make sure it's big enough to power the machine.
DW's with humidifier , is 7.5amp.
If the light circuit is 20amp fuse protected, you can access the wires and tap in for a lighter socket.

EDIT: Re; HWH, I have heard they are on a 2 week call back, but they might not be the ones to contact for the hose routing , they build the system, pumps , rams and controls, but the parts location and hose routing, maybe even hose length, is done by Winne.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

:welcome:

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new to you rig. Best of luck on making the needed repairs. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

So much is new to me. Where do I find the panel box to determine breaker protection? I realize this sounds like DUH
Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

There is an HWH tech on this forum that seems ready willing and able to help anyone that needs it, a bit of searching and you should be able to find him. He gives out his personal phone number and based on what I have read of his comments is happy to help with any HWH problems

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkilo View Post
Bought a 2002 Minnie Winnie 430V last week after months and months of filtering and investigating. Yeah! As my buddy says " You better be ready to fix things" and that has been going on since last Friday. My latest discovery was weeping hydraulic lines. I spent a good part of today wiping down and reading HWH part numbers in the hope of getting some ideas from HWH. I know I will be waiting for some time on that one. In the mean time I don't think the leakage just started and we will use the unit anyway. I have been advised to take the leaking lines to a repair shop which makes new lines but I need a diagram of the hose layout. I was planning on starting with the rear slide lines first. Is that smart? On the other hand the backup camera is only working occasionally and I would like to believe it is either camera or monitor. Is it reasonable to hope for a good video cable? The unit was garage kept it's whole life and has 24K. Also I need a 12v socket for my CPAP next to the bed. Can I wire one of these myself nearby? The cord is only 6 ft long. Enough for now and thanks.
sixkilo,
Well Sir, first off, congrats on your new purchase. Buying a used RV can, as you've found out, be a tad bit of a gamble. Of course, it's like that on used cars, trucks, motorcycles, submarines, space ships, etc. So, knowing and realizing that, your outlook on repairs/replacement parts, is taken with a bit more ease. Now, having said that, hydraulic lines and fittings, are basically standardized, throughout the industry. That is, with just a bit of studying, you'll know what's involved in a line and or, fitting or, both etc.

I've not had to deal with HWH directly but, I've read a zillion threads on this forum and others about them not being so quick in returning phone calls, helping with customer assistance issues, etc., primarily because they've become so popular, and, are so spread out in terms of equipment on so many motor homes etc. that, they simply don't have the resources available to better respond to customer calls. I don't know this for a fact but, it's what I've heard and read.

Now, if you've got any type of hydraulic repair shop near you, you can take off one of your lines, make it a simple one and, take it to them and they will identify the line size, the fitting end types and, the psi. capacity of the hose(s) involved. It's not rocket science. It's simply a hydraulic system. And, as far as which lines to replace or mend first, in all reality, there is no protocol for that. You simply fix which ones need fixing. A leak is a leak. It doesn't matter if front or back. The system needs all the lines, fittings, manifolds etc. in tact before it's to work correctly.

As for adding a 12VDC power plug at or near your bed, that too is simple. All that's needed is to find either a switched (if you want it that way) or, a non-switched (power hot all the time) line, near the rear of the coach or, near your bed. Then, tie into it, maybe with a fuse, and, fish that line up to where ever you want it to be. Done!

You simply take one problem at a time, logically proceed with what's needed for it's repair, then, head off to another problem. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I guess I should have slithered on the ground all across the unit before. I was checking for things like that on hands and knees but did not know the Medusa affect coiled up in the chassis rails. What a mess of tie wrapped lines and circuits. I do wonder why so much excess of lines though. I am lucky that at this point of my life I am still capable of doing this type investigation and then hopefully resolving problems before they get larger.