Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Cool FIRE !

we have a 2000 itasca suncruiser . Recently we had an electrical fire in the electrical cargo bay. The repair place said that it had been a 50 amp service that , through some kind of switch gear has been converted to a 30 amp service. he will be changing it back to a 50 amp service but I gotta ask, has anybody else have this problem ??
Oh yeah...., HI.. new here
just call me Tom
tmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you're having the work done at a Camping World, I wouldn't trust anything they say about it. In fact, if it is at CW, suggest you go get it now before they damage any of your equipment.

It would be highly unlikely that it had been a 50 amp and someone changed it to 30. All you need to do to run a 50 amp rig on a 30 amp shore power is buy a $20 dogbone adaptor. Available practically anywhere. The 50 amp cord would hardly fit in a 30 amp head without lots of vinyl tape because it's just physically thicker. Was there lots of vinyl tape?

The only reason someone would want to change that over is because of the weight and bulk of the 50 amp shore cord. But even than, most people would opt for a electric wind up device rather than go to the expense and trouble of trying to convert the RV to 30 amp.

Any chance you took some pictures of the cord or the damage caused by the fire?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Jim HiTek - you gave me an idea for a perfect Christmas present for my husband!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Fire

Jim hitec
Our 2000 itasca suncruiser 37G has a Todd power switch (they went out of business) here is a picture of it
tmetz is offline   Reply With Quote