Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We stopped at a Pilot truck stop on the way home from the driving school and I tried out my new and magic device to slow down the fill rate at the truck mega nozzles.

Actually I borrowed the idea from another forum - it is just a wooden wedge that fits between the pump handle and the pump frame. I pull up the handle a little bit and then stick the wedge in and adjust it until I get the slow fill rate that I need to minimize foaming.

We each thought we should take about 55 gallons to top off the tank and sure enough that's about what I was able to get in the tank. It took about 15 minutes or so to fill up so we managed a fill rate probably close to a car-type diesel pump.

The real proof will be when I can repeat this performance two or three more times.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We stopped at a Pilot truck stop on the way home from the driving school and I tried out my new and magic device to slow down the fill rate at the truck mega nozzles.

Actually I borrowed the idea from another forum - it is just a wooden wedge that fits between the pump handle and the pump frame. I pull up the handle a little bit and then stick the wedge in and adjust it until I get the slow fill rate that I need to minimize foaming.

We each thought we should take about 55 gallons to top off the tank and sure enough that's about what I was able to get in the tank. It took about 15 minutes or so to fill up so we managed a fill rate probably close to a car-type diesel pump.

The real proof will be when I can repeat this performance two or three more times.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sounds WAY too hi tech to me.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

John,
If you haven't tried it yet when you fill-up, open the other fill also it allows better venting.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Not too high tech. However, it's hand carved teak wood with 4 coats of tongue oil. Engraved with "John and Jane Canfield"

Oh Ya!!! It winks at you while it's up against the MH.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

It's also embedded with a GPS chip as to allow it to be tracked if it's lost....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Not too high tech. However, it's hand carved teak wood with 4 coats of tongue oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The current one is Version 2.0; Version 1.0 was way too large to fit the space in the pump handle. I think there will be a Version 2.1 since 2.0 is still not quite right.

... I saved this nice little piece of maple that I have in my goodie box ... Hmmm it could use a pressure transducer so I could more precisely set the flow rate ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hogbreth:
John,
If you haven't tried it yet when you fill-up, open the other fill also it allows better venting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That was one of the first things I tried as I had read about that trick on rv.net. That was an unqualified failure as I then had foam coming out both filler necks . Apparently my problem wasn't insufficient venting, it was just foaming fuel.

I'll feel better when I can replicate this triumph a couple of more times.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hey John, don't let these guys bug you.
Use Canadian Moose Antlers in the pump handle if you like.
I am using a piece of African Olive and I am up to version 3.15. It is hand rubbed with 15 coats of Jack Daniels. You can get a buzz just by smelling it. I like mine and I know yours works too.
You just keep on doin and one day you can come to VA and make some mods on my coach...
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Hey Jim,maybe we could make John a sweet deal on modifications in Virginia...
Old 01-10-2006, 03:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Hey Jim,maybe we could make John a sweet deal on modifications in Virginia... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gosh, I should have kept the house and shop and set up an RV mod business...

I like Jimmy's idea about the hand-rubbed Jack D!

Old 01-10-2006, 04:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I've been doing this for a long time but I use the gas cap.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Hey Jim,maybe we could make John a sweet deal on modifications in Virginia... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm for it.He can stay here , use the outhouse and
drink my Jack. LOL,,Heck Bob,,if he does enough Mods I would take him to the Williamsburg Inn.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:26 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

When I was at the factory I complained about slow fuel fill rate and they re routed the fuel fill hoses and said it should be fine now!! wrong! First fill up was same old thing so I to have gone with the stuff some thing in the gas pump handle routine! My first version was tightly rolledup newspaper, but I like the idea of a wood whiskey weggie, but I think Makers Mark rubbed one would be my choice

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Hey Jim,maybe we could make John a sweet deal on modifications in Virginia... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm for it.He can stay here , use the outhouse and
drink my Jack. LOL,,Heck Bob,,if he does enough Mods I would take him to the Williamsburg Inn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez....a bidding war??

I "see" your Williamsburg Inn and raise ya a catered dinner on the American Rover Tri-master

(John's has that sailing in his blood...)

Old 01-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

John:I was hoping for a picture of it so I can duplicate it.....have you ever looked at how Winnebago routed the filler tubes...first a right turn and then a left turn before entering the tank and then they use a very small diameter filler tube to boot. That really complicates the foaming action of the fuel...I believe one of the filler tubes could be motified from 90 degree turns to more like 45 degree which would stop some of the foaming action...take a look at yours and let me know what you think

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Ken,I took some pics of my filler neck routings and placed them on my photo page.

Click photos on the top right of these pages and go to my pics....
Old 01-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Hey Bob, thought we were working this together. I think both outings is a little rich..
After all a outhouse AND the Willimsburg Inn..Outta be close to what he needs but if you think we need to sweeten the pot then maybe we could throw in a trip to -----Burger King? Jim
Old 01-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

How about the picture of your filler adjuster tool you made....after looking at the routing of the filler neck don't you believe we can alter especially the passenger side with some 45's instead of 90 degree turns so as not to allow the gas to back up quickly and foam

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it was just foaming fuel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe your rig has rabies?
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

A quarter inserted in the same place will also slow the fill rate if you are having fill problems...used this method on old horizon we had...

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote