Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Factory visit repairs and upgrades

Hello all, wondering if anyone went to Forest City for upgrades or repairs and had things upgraded on their Adventurer? I have to be there for a number of repairs soon and was wondering about getting a few things upgraded on my 2014 37F while I am there like a residential fridge. I already have the inverter and a bank of 4 6v AGM batteries installed. Don't know why there is a Norcold fridge instead.
Want to have a window awning installed on the drivers side where the TV is.
Would like to upgrade to the larger salon TV. I understand that it is a 50" now, can anyone confirm?
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You asked lots of questions.

I can only give you some insight. Each morning at 7 am customers line up for service. You are assigned an advisor. The advisor goes over what you want done ... they will discuss the feasibility, cost, and timetable for doing the work ... and they give you a time that they will take your coach from you ... and they will (almost always) give your coach back to you each afternoon at 3 until the work is completed.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Give them a call and talk with a service advisor. I've seen a lot of customer specific upgrades done while people had their rig there at Forest City for other work.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would contact one of their Service Advisors, I have worked with Mike Hamson.
Your awning may have to be ordered ahead of time. Is your refrigerator wired thru your inverter sub-panel?

They will do the research and let you know. I would not just drop in for these type upgrades without discussing with them ahead of time.

We had our shower door replaced during our first year with the newer sliding panels. Last month we had our kitchen counter top replaced (a previous warranty item), but they would not upgrade our gas cooktop to induction.

Both of these were scheduled months in advance.

My impression is they will upgrade if it is a plug-n-play item, but not if it entails re-engineering. But I may be wrong.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #5

I am not familiar with the inverter wiring but as my wife and I researched the Adventurer 37F before buying we found the one we have now at a dealer in Concord NC. The spec sheet on line said it had a residential fridge but when we got there it had a Norcold dual use. Dealer claimed that their paperwork said it was a residential and it appears that it was supposed to be built that way as it has the 2000 watt inverter and 4 6v AGM batteries, way more than is needed for a standard fridge and the other electrical needs. So I am guessing that it would be an easy install. I would imagine that as far as the window awning is concerned they could use the ones they have on the assembly line that come on the higher end units. surprised that the Adventurer does not have it as it is marketed by Winnebago as a gas coach with diesel amenities. Thanks for the info on the sign up line at the factory, I will be there on Monday bright and early...
Old 08-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

upgrades

Your inverter/charger would be a "Pure Sine Wave" unit for a residential refrigerator - the Norcold would only require a "Modified Sine Wave" A residential refrigerator will most likely over heat the compressor motor on the modified sine wave ( some people say that Samsung Refrigerators will run on the modified sine wave)
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Your inverter/charger would be a "Pure Sine Wave" unit for a residential refrigerator - the Norcold would only require a "Modified Sine Wave" A residential refrigerator will most likely over heat the compressor motor on the modified sine wave ( some people say that Samsung Refrigerators will run on the modified sine wave)
How do I determine if present inverter is pure or modified? By model #?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth, on our Journey the difference between a Norcold, an a residential was, that the inverter went from 2000 to 2800 watt, and the batteries went from 4 AGM's to 6 AGM's.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Inverter

If the inverter/charger if Pure sine Wave it will say so on the case. If it is a modified sine wave it will only state that it is 2000 watts
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

FWIW there are many folks running their residential refrigerators on modified sine wave inverters with no problems.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Your black bag should include a Component List, our Inverter/Charger is a Magnum MS2812, which on their web site is a Pure Sine, 2800 watt, 12 volt unit.

We have the Maytag residential refrigerator, which included the upgrade to the 2800 watt inverter, and 6 12v AGM batteries.

The product info literature for your unit indicates the Norcold was standard.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Factory upgrades.

We called 6-8 weeks ahead last year. Had window awnings in stalled. They had to order. To my knowledge they don't pull off the line for up grades. Have to be ordered. They did some warrant work and what they call "Good Will" repairs on some thing that was out of warranty. We called earlier this summer for a apointment, they were 90 days++ out. As far as replacing the fridge with a residential. All depends how deep your pockets are. We wanted the J couch replace and recliners put in and for me it was prohibitive. I think it was about 6 thousand. I'm investigating other possibilities. They do,good work tho. Need to call them.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Suggest you try Master Tech RV in Elkhart IN. They do excellent work. I suspect you will find Winnebago prices prohibitive. My impression is that they are really not interested in custom work as their capabilities are streched already.Master Tech do quite a number of Res Fridge upgrades as well as customization. I had my front MCD shades installed by them and was very pleased.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs, upgrade