Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Factory rep

Went to the fort myers RV show yesterday. We ran in to a Winnebago factory rep and tried to start a conversation with him. Myself and my friend have 2011 Tours and we had some questions. He was very short with us and and told us to go to best buy when we asked about the swing out tv mount. He walked away from us very quickly. Needless to say we where very disappointed after having spent so much with Winnebago in the past.I have had 3 new winnebagos. Probably won't buy anymore.
robmc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum.

I don't blame you for being disappointed. Sure sounds unacceptable to me.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Tampa Show

The guy is in sales. Ask questions about new models. He is not a tech.
Joe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe83 View Post
The guy is in sales. Ask questions about new models. He is not a tech.
He probably didn't have a clue about the mount anyway, and was thinking about the sale he might be missing. Some folks who work on commission are funny that way.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Can't say much about the factory rep but for tv mounts check out this company.

MOR/ryde TV Mounts

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You have nothing to be upset about you were asking a sales rep about accessories you would buy from the dealership parts department, that they probably (Winnebago Industries) does not sell direct to the customer anyway.
Walk into a Ford Dealership, and ask the sales person about an accessory, for a Ford you bought elsewhere, or from another salesman, and you will be directed to the parts department who are the ones selling accessories.

He was there to sell RVs, and make commission on sales, not run a parts, and service operation.
Did you buy your RV from him????
Were you there early, before the crowds got there, and he had nothing else to do??
If not, you were stopping him from making money by selling RVs on "Mini" commission
Salespeople need money to eat also.
Some dealership, and salesman already made money from you, and owe you customer support, that is who you should contact, or, go to Best Buy, where they have a large selection of swing out TV mounts.
Winnibago customer support (641) 585-3535
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
Cat
Winnebago Camper

Hmmmm sounds like a salesmen is nearby
doesnt take long to be polite .
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

For all we know he could have just been told his wife ran away with a Newmar sales rep. He probably was not at all mad at you but you just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not very professional but we all have days when we fall short of what is expected in performance.

No excuse but a possible reason.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Nope, not a salesman, I do not even like salesmen generally, but I do understand time is money, and they are trying to make money, in a limited time, in a competitive environment.
Had the OP wanted to talk about new RVs, he likely would have had his full attention.
OP wanted to talk parts, and accessories, to a guy selling new RVs, who only makes money from selling new RVs
So who is actually being rude, and who is being polite, by suggesting a place that actually sells plenty of exactly what the OP is asking about???
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It doesn't take any time to politely say that he can't help and maybe direct you to someone that can. Some sales people don't seem to understand that civility and manners may not sell today, but may bring you back for that sale tomorrow.

When shopping for our "retirement home" we got attitude from a sales rep representing the Itasca Ellipse we were interested in. His snippy answer immediately removed that rig from our short list.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When I recently sold our 2006 WGO View, I had to deal with a lot of tire kickers. One guy sent a list of 17 questions that ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous. I told him, via a short, snippy e-mail, call if he wanted so much detail. He came back with a 2nd e-mail asking another dozen questions. My 30 years of high-tech, big ticket sales experience kicked in and I dismissed him as another tire kicker, afraid to pull the trigger. I told him to get back to me when he was ready to buy.

Bottom line, he ended up buying the View. When I finally met him, I realized he was a lot like me. Sometimes, what the other person reflects is simply a mirror image of how we project ourselves.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I agree .I think we have some salesmen on here. But the guy could at least be nice!!
robmc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Have hit those types of salesmen before... always an irritation and a desire to return the favor. However, I punish the salesman, not myself.

You mention you have had 3 new Winnies in the past... obviously you like the brand. Why do a baby-and-bath-water by removing the brand from your consideration because of a jerk? Buy what you want based on your needs BUT (if you need to use that dealer) make sure you use a different sales rep and let the sales manager know at some point why you made that request. Rudeness = no sale = no commission = hitting him where it matters.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmc53 View Post
Went to the fort myers RV show yesterday. We ran in to a Winnebago factory rep and tried to start a conversation with him. Myself and my friend have 2011 Tours and we had some questions. He was very short with us and and told us to go to best buy when we asked about the swing out tv mount. He walked away from us very quickly. Needless to say we where very disappointed after having spent so much with Winnebago in the past.I have had 3 new winnebagos. Probably won't buy anymore.
You're going to base a decision on purchasing a possible FORTH $100K to $150K or more new unit on an air head that couldn't answer ONE QUESTION on a TV situation? Well Sir, it's certainly up to you but, apparently you've been happy with Winnes in the past, enough to buy three of them. And to walk away from a brand that you've been happy with because one "Factory Rep" did not satisfy your TV issues, seems like a hasty decision.

Of course you have the right to make your own decisions and choose your coaches but, If you're in the least bit still interested in getting an answer to your situation, there's way more means of acquiring a suitable answer than just one guy. I'm not chastising you here, just thinking that maybe you should step back a bit and take a second look and, get a second opinion on your issue.

We did the Winnebago factory tour this last summer and, all of those folks, on the line, were seriously easy to talk to. They'd answer any questions about any situation, operation, installation, change, alteration, improvement, and more in no hesitation what so ever. Now, we never talked with any "factory reps" but, we talk with supervisors and the like. And they were plenty happy to answer any and all questions.

So, again, if you're not too far gone on Winnes, I'd try for another answer to your issue, maybe from a call to Winne itself. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Being polite costs nothing but could make a sale form a listener. If I were to overhear a rude reply to a topic the sales person was not wanting to pursue I would never feel confident that I could get a straight answer from him with a legitimate question about the product he represented. Rudeness is.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Not justifying the Rep's actions but things like the swing out TV and it's mount are not made by Winni, they are purchased.. and it is very possible they, like ME, bought the swing out mount from Best Buys. (Though i doubt it, more likely the same source as Best Buys).

Winnabago makes walls, floors, ceilings and roofs.. not much of anything else, this includes cabinets (optional) Doors, (3rd party) mirrors, all the things that eat electricity (Microwave, TV, and mounts, Radio, Fridge, Water heater, and pump, and tank and) all the things that get wet (Covered some of those) all the sinks, toilets, and such, all 3rd party.. That's why the owners manual bag weighs 20 pounds.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmc53 View Post
Three Winnebagos that you have been happy with (presumably), you run into ONE guy, one time, that treated you bad, and you are ready to dump Winnebago as an option? Wow!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We ran in to a Winnebago factory rep
What I seen there. About all the RV's at the North Fort Myers show were from dealers.
And some had more then one manufacture make they had there.

Probably not any Factory rep there. Only dealers own salesmen working for a commission.

And he gave you advice, where he would go to get a swing out.
May have walked away to get back to a customer interested in buying that he was helping. As he could tell by a short talk to you two, that there was no possibility of getting a sale.

For your next RV look at the other brands. Did you see another one you like at the show?? And their salesman spent time with you.

I looked at a lot of different units at the show. And never had one salesman ask me if I had any questions. But I was just looking and didn't have any.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

You could also check out one of the iRV2 sponsors too. www.tvformyrv.com
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
You could also check out one of the iRV2 sponsors too. www.tvformyrv.com
Just checked out your website. Very nice! I 2nd the motion to buy from this sponsor and stop ranting about one guy whom you will probably never see again in your life.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote