Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

These pictures are in the wrong order. The last picture is how I found the post to look after I removed the passenger side front tire and the mud flap, and the rubber shielding flap. The 2nd picture is the cables after they fell out of the factory crimp job as I was trying to loosen up the nut on the post, and the first picture is the cables after I sprayed the battery cleaner spray on them and cleaned them up.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

These new fangled digital multimeters aren't always the best way to track down bad connections simply because their extremely high input impedance and minuscule current draw mean they will give a correct reading just about through thin air.
The old test lamp - two probes feeding a 12V 20 watt bulb - can be a much surer way of tracking down bad connections and faulty ground connections. Obviously not the right thing to use where electronic circuitry is concerned, but it has its uses elsewhere
Old 08-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

bobpie, do you have a battery isolation relay or diodes? I wonder if that could be the problem? Is the inverter wired correctly? Rewiring can be so frustrating. I use color tape to id what goes where. Sometimes I still get it wrong.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
bobpie, do you have a battery isolation relay or diodes? I wonder if that could be the problem? Is the inverter wired correctly? Rewiring can be so frustrating. I use color tape to id what goes where. Sometimes I still get it wrong.
That is what I was thinking, The problem was the grounding bar. Four bolts are connected to it. I removed all, and cleaned them up and reinstalled. All is good now.

12volts as needed.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpie View Post
Maybe the factory workers should buy the tool and do a better job of crimping the cables on a new motorhome when they are building it! I have a crimping tool, thanks. I wonder how I should go about getting reimbursed for all my time and expense in parts to fix this problem.
You are lucky they are not charging you for all the hands on experience you are getting. Just consider it another opportunity to but more tools.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

When the Harbor Freight crimp tool was mentioned , was this the
tool ?
Hydraulic Wire Crimping Tool
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Yes.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to all !! I have wanted to add a battery cut off switch and the proper crimp tool will make wiring secure.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
The old test lamp - two probes feeding a 12V 20 watt bulb - can be a much surer way of tracking down bad connections and faulty ground connections.
Another option, if all you have is newfangled tech, is to turn on a load in the circuit while testing. Turn on all the lights, or even run the water heater if your inverter has the capacity to supply that much power. Then check for voltage drop at each connection point. You can do this by measuring voltage at each side of the connection relative to a ground reference (i.e. looking for 12vdc on the display).

The other method is to look for an impedance in the connection by placing a probe on either side of a connection point. For example, set the meter to read DC volts and place one probe on a terminal post of a ground bus bar. Then touch the other probe to each of the crimp terminals connected to the bus bar. You should always get a reading of zero volts. If you see a voltage at one of the terminals, you have a poor connection, possibly due to corrosion. Remember that this test only works if current is running through the circuit. Now remember to turn off the water heater before it drains your batteries.

Another sign of a bad connection is heat. If it is safe to do so, check the temperature around a connection. For example, if you plug a high usage constant load into an AC extension cord (e.g. heater or air conditioner), hold the receptacle end of the cord in your hand after the appliance has been running for a while. If the connector is warm or hot, you have a bad connection between the spring steel in the receptacle and the blades of the plug. If it is hot enough to start melting the receptacle, this is a fire waiting to happen. As product quality declines, this is a growing concern. If the entire extension cord is warm, then you need a heavier gauge cord.

Sorry. It started as my 2 cents, but you got the whole nickel.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Very Interesting
Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

And the engine and generator keep on starting! Now it is time 2 change the rear sway bar bushings. Fun Fun Fun.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

New bushings in and all is level. Wow!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Was your coach leaning to the passenger side? My coach is leaning and the sway bar bushings are shot. I have the bushings, but haven't put them in yet.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Yes it was, John all is good now.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Along with proper crimping, a good quality shrink wrap with adhesive inside assures a solid connection with little or no corrosion. I bought my shrink wrap for battery cables at NAPA.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote